Page 40 of 222 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm pretty sure there is.

In Blackest Night all the heroes congregated to a graveyard filled with all the dead heroes of the DCU.
    Really? That's interesting. I haven't been able to read Blackest Night fully yet (I know the gist from summaries and bits here and there, but that's it). I wonder where it's located and how one gets there.

Blackest Night is such a cool read.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    The constant Human drive; willpower and endurance is always tested, pushed to it's limits. We need to know, it's our natural instinct to push the boundaries over the next horizon. Despite machines taking over some jobs, We will always want to know what we as humans are capable of, to what extremes physically, and mentally we can push ourselves.
    And characters like Ferris and Jordan will lead the way. It's never over.
    You will always need those who willfully instinctively step forward to the task, where others draw the line. That same will is what powers and fuels the ring that recognized Jordan (it's at the core of the concept and franchise).
    And that still translates to today.

This character "type" is never obsolete.
    I totally agree with that sentiment. Unfortunately, Carol has been left out of this context, having been eclipsed by the qualities of the Star Sapphire Corps (love). I do think that many writers still pick up on this in terms of Hal's qualities, hence the references to his background as a pilot. It's more than just a job, it's who he is. Many writers get that. Unfortunately, it's used only as a shorthand to describe his persona more than it is his actual dayjob. It's just problematic to have someone who can fly around the universe spend his days "slumming it" with earth tech. He's already gone beyond that, and by extension, shown that we are as well (in terms of ambition) so it undermines "human" achievement to still show him flying around in a tin can. (as advanced as that tin-can might be in the context of the DCU, by conceit it can never be as advanced as the GL ring)

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    That's mostly a complete failure, shortsightedness and shortcoming of some fans, and surprisingly several creators, who constantly seem to miss the point of the character "type" and setting.
    Jordan (and Ferris) easily translates to modern sensibilities, and setting, and they'll always be relevant today, and well into the future.
    Especially in a science fiction setting, which the DCU provides in abundance.

Other characters they have no problem updating with the times (both real and the fantastic), Batman's "gear". Barry Alan's job with more modern forensics, DNA, to the science of particle acceleration, etc. , Iron-Man's weapons, tech. and designs are constantly updated, etc... Yet somehow some think "Test Pilot" and their brains get frozen in the past? Instead of looking to the future? And this is a franchise that embraces forward thinking sci-fi. It's like these creators (and some fans) can't move their brains forward and connect the two:

Ferris Aero/Space should already be at the cutting-edge in design and creation of the next generation "ships" (if they can be called that) that will one day push the boundaries of FTL Speed, superluminal travel through deep Space/Time/Dimension, looking to the future. And humans will want to be there and explore this frontier themselves.
    It is in this ongoing context (and spirit) that both Carol Ferris and Jordan exist.

There is always that dreamer who will design, engineer and build, and another who will always step up to be the first to pilot one of those ships.
    In reality and in fiction, characters like Carol Ferris and Hal Jordan, who won't stop pushing at the edge of what fear conquering will can achieve, and explore.

Other franchises have no problem embracing that

The constant Human drive; willpower and endurance is always tested, pushed to it's limits. We need to know, it's our natural instinct to push the boundaries over the next horizon. Despite machines taking over some jobs, We will always want to know what we as humans are capable of, to what extremes physically, and mentally we can push ourselves.
    And characters like Ferris and Jordan will lead the way. It's never over.
    You will always need those who willfully instinctively step forward to the task, where others draw the line. That same will is what powers and fuels the ring that recognized Jordan (it's at the core of the concept and franchise).
    And that still translates to today.

This character "type" is never obsolete.
    And Ferris and Jordan's "job" is only in its infancy.

It's the readers and surprisingly some creators who for some reason are stuck in the past.

Edit: (LOL ^ speech)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Blackest Night is such a cool read.

I've definitely heard. lol One day. It's on my ever-growing list.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Damn, you'd think Hal is running from R. Kelly or something.
    I did not see Arisia anywhere in the cover, Johnny.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I did not see Arisia anywhere in the cover, Johnny.

For those interested. Hal puts in an appearance in the latest chapter (three) of my DC/Marvel crossover story "Convergence Point" -

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1319924...vergence-Point

In so inclined, enjoy.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I totally agree with that sentiment. Unfortunately, Carol has been left out of this context, having been eclipsed by the qualities of the Star Sapphire Corps (love). I do think that many writers still pick up on this in terms of Hal's qualities, hence the references to his background as a pilot. It's more than just a job, it's who he is. Many writers get that. Unfortunately, it's used only as a shorthand to describe his persona more than it is his actual dayjob. It's just problematic to have someone who can fly around the universe spend his days "slumming it" with earth tech. He's already gone beyond that, and by extension, shown that we are as well (in terms of ambition) so it undermines "human" achievement to still show him flying around in a tin can. (as advanced as that tin-can might be in the context of the DCU, by conceit it can never be as advanced as the GL ring)
    I think there's something to Hal Jordan to where he genuinely enjoys the feel and challenge of flying an actual plane versus flying as a GL, especially since by this point the latter is probably too easy compared to the former, I would imagine.

I think there's something to Hal Jordan to where he genuinely enjoys the feel and challenge of flying an actual plane versus flying as a GL, especially since by this point the latter is probably too easy compared to the former, I would imagine.
    Oh, there's no doubt that he enjoys it, but in terms of the theme of "pushing the envelope," he does that in his job as GL more than he did as a pilot. Ironically, being a pilot ended up grounding him, since it was an earthbound challenge that he did without his ring, but it was almost a hobby or something he did it because he loved it. It no longer really functioned as the metaphor for human achievement since he'd already conquered it and travels into space all the time, saving entire worlds, or the universe itself.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Oh, there's no doubt that he enjoys it, but in terms of the theme of "pushing the envelope," he does that in his job as GL more than he did as a pilot. Ironically, being a pilot ended up grounding him, since it was an earthbound challenge that he did without his ring, but it was almost a hobby or something he did it because he loved it. It no longer really functioned as the metaphor for human achievement since he'd already conquered it and travels into space all the time, saving entire worlds, or the universe itself.
    Maybe there's a way to connect Hal's test pilot job back to the future and momentum of the aeronautics industry (although I don't know anywhere near enough about it to come up with it myself)...

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

That reminds me of a short story from the Green Lantern 75th anniversary omnibus where Hal takes a skeptical Kyle on a ride in a jet (sans rings) and Rayner quickly finds himself having the time of his life.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Guess I found my new wallpaper.

I'm pretty sure there is.

In Blackest Night all the heroes congregated to a graveyard filled with all the dead heroes of the DCU.
    As for villains a lot of their bodies were stored on the watchtower. So they had a morgue/graveyard of sorts too.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics