Page 49 of 222 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    He's not that bad all the time I guess, I just wished he was more like GL: TAS Hal or JL Doom Hal.
    I don't disagree .

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    I'm not sure I want Hal on the team. I just feel it is better than nothing. The art is good. We could see him interact with other leaguers twice a month. He would be closer to the universe center. Is these reasons not enough?
    I guess it comes down to whether you want quality or quantity.

I'm much more satisfied with Hal appearing once a month in The Green Lantern in an utterly spectacular comic than appearing several times a month in comics that he's been shoehorned into, particularly when the creators of those comics think another character would work better for the story they are telling.

Any additional guest appearances on top of that creators genuinely want to include Hal in because they think he'd be a great addition to their stories? Well, that's just gravy.

For my money, I am way more excited these days about Hal Jordan's current appearances than I was in the past when Hal's comics were appearing more frequently, but weren't nearly as good. Your mileage may vary, and that's perfectly OK. We can feel differently about this, as long as nobody feels that DC is deliberately slighting Hal or trying to keep him down, because that's simply not supported by the facts. If anything, Hal Jordan is just another IP for them.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    i like this question, i'll join in.

my reason would probably be more promotion for hal.

i think the perks for being a league member is the member gets more exposure, which hopefully provides for more merchandise.

i just love playing with the kids and buying them toys of the characters i enjoyed as when i was a kid myself...
    I don't think that's necessarily the case. Merchandise is not generally linked to membership on the League, otherwise there would be a whole lot more Cyborg JL stuff out there, rather than Cyborg Teen Titans Go stuff

If the 2011 GL movie had been better, it would have driven merchandise. It didn't, which nixed the GL: TAS merch and also saw a sharp drop of GL merch in general. The comics aren't really the main driver behind merch, it's outside media and popularity with the non-comics reading public. Batman and Harley Quinn merch sells like gangbusters, and mostly to people who aren't reading the comics.

If you really want to see more Hal merch, a better bet is to hope that the GLCorps movie gets greenlit, ends up being really good, and whomever plays Hal really clicks with audiences. All of that will have a much bigger impact on merch than whether or not Hal is in the JL comic right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Hal Jordan stuck on a vampire planet. It simply does not get better than this.

I want to say that I'm a big fan of The Vampire Chronicles and Lestat is my favorite character in that series.
    It feels great to see two of my favorite characters showing up in one panel. LOL
    Only one problem, Lestat should be a blondie.
    Michael Morbius is right behind him.

Probably scared the blond clean out of that hair.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I guess it comes down to whether you want quality or quantity.

I'm much more satisfied with Hal appearing once a month in The Green Lantern in an utterly spectacular comic than appearing several times a month in comics that he's been shoehorned into, particularly when the creators of those comics think another character would work better for the story they are telling.

Any additional guest appearances on top of that creators genuinely want to include Hal in because they think he'd be a great addition to their stories? Well, that's just gravy.

For my money, I am way more excited these days about Hal Jordan's current appearances than I was in the past when Hal's comics were appearing more frequently, but weren't nearly as good. Your mileage may vary, and that's perfectly OK. We can feel differently about this, as long as nobody feels that DC is deliberately slighting Hal or trying to keep him down, because that's simply not supported by the facts. If anything, Hal Jordan is just another IP for them.
    I'm satisfied with Morrison's The Green Lantern run, too. But why do you think quality and quantity are two completely opposite things? Barry Allen has a decent solo and he's been in the League all this time. Kindly remind you that since new52, each time Justice League gets a relaunch, Green Lantern is the only founding member changes. Do you want to say it means DC values Hal?
    And again, I don't want Hal in Snyder's Justice League. I want him in Justice League. Neither am I offering a solution of how Snyder should deal with Hal.

I'm satisfied with Morrison's The Green Lantern run, too. But why do you think quality and quantity are two completely opposite things? Barry Allen has a decent solo and he's been in the League all this time. Kindly remind you that since new52, each time Justice League gets a relaunch, Green Lantern is the only founding member changes. Do you want to say it means DC values Hal?
    And again, I don't want Hal in Snyder's Justice League. I want him in Justice League. Neither am I offering a solution of how Snyder should deal with Hal.
    As I've mentioned before, Hal is still in the Justice League, he's just not one of the members that Snyder's focusing on. The current League has a vast membership, but the ongoing series is mostly about the core team of Supes, Bats, WW, J'Onn, Flash, John & Hawkgirl. In Hal's appearances in Bendis's Superman stuff, Hal's specifically mentioned attending League meetings. Granted, now that Hal is undercover, I would guess that he'll be taking a leave of absence.

Incredible Member

I don't think that's necessarily the case. Merchandise is not generally linked to membership on the League, otherwise there would be a whole lot more Cyborg JL stuff out there, rather than Cyborg Teen Titans Go stuff

If the 2011 GL movie had been better, it would have driven merchandise. It didn't, which nixed the GL: TAS merch and also saw a sharp drop of GL merch in general. The comics aren't really the main driver behind merch, it's outside media and popularity with the non-comics reading public. Batman and Harley Quinn merch sells like gangbusters, and mostly to people who aren't reading the comics.

If you really want to see more Hal merch, a better bet is to hope that the GLCorps movie gets greenlit, ends up being really good, and whomever plays Hal really clicks with audiences. All of that will have a much bigger impact on merch than whether or not Hal is in the JL comic right now.
    That's not completely true. Cyborg wouldn't be in Justice League action figure or statue series if he is not a member of JL. Do you think Prime 1 Studio's new52 JL series includes Cyborg because he is more popular than the rest characters?
    And I don't understand. It seems you are trying everything to stop people from expecting Hal being in JL. Yeah, we want the future GLC movie in the air to be a hit. So what's wrong with wanting Hal in the JL comic right now? To be fair, it's not your turn to decide or teach what I, or any other people should want.

That's not completely true. Cyborg wouldn't be in Justice League action figure or statue series if he is not a member of JL. Do you think Prime 1 Studio's new52 JL series includes Cyborg because he is more popular than the rest characters?
    And I don't understand. It seems you are trying everything to stop people from expecting Hal being in JL. Yeah, we want the future GLC movie in the air to be a hit. So what's wrong with wanting Hal in the JL comic right now? To be fair, it's not your turn to decide or teach what I, or any other people should want.
    Again, you are misunderstanding what I am saying. I am not telling you what you should want. My issue was always with the idea that DC is somehow keeping Hal off the League. They aren't. Unfortunately, there's a surplus of solid Earth GLs at the moment, so there's going to be a lot of different characters for creators to choose from. A lot of creators like to choose characters they feel are underdeveloped, so they'll pick GLs like Jessica, Simon & John because they can do more with them than they could with an already fleshed out character like Hal, who's been in continuous publication for decades.

This isn't a slight towards Hal, but rather creators wanting to try something different.

Incredible Member

As I've mentioned before, Hal is still in the Justice League, he's just not one of the members that Snyder's focusing on. The current League has a vast membership, but the ongoing series is mostly about the core team of Supes, Bats, WW, J'Onn, Flash, John & Hawkgirl. In Hal's appearances in Bendis's Superman stuff, Hal's specifically mentioned attending League meetings. Granted, now that Hal is undercover, I would guess that he'll be taking a leave of absence.
    What's the meaning of this trick? He is still in the team. He just doesn't show up in the team book. I could say the same with Dick. He is still in Titans. He's just not one of the members Abnett's focusing on.
    Last edited by HAN9000; 03-08-2019 at 06:27 AM.

Incredible Member

Again, you are misunderstanding what I am saying. I am not telling you what you should want. My issue was always with the idea that DC is somehow keeping Hal off the League. They aren't. Unfortunately, there's a surplus of solid Earth GLs at the moment, so there's going to be a lot of different characters for creators to choose from. A lot of creators like to choose characters they feel are underdeveloped, so they'll pick GLs like Jessica, Simon & John because they can do more with them than they could with an already fleshed out character like Hal, who's been in continuous publication for decades.

This isn't a slight towards Hal, but rather creators wanting to try something different.
    Then why did you say "If you really want to see more Hal merch, a better bet is to hope that the GLCorps movie gets greenlit"? That sounds a lot like "you should hope for this not that" to me.
    I get what you mean, Hal kept out of the league is not the reason, but the result. I don't care the reason. I'm just unhappy with the result. And I'm wondering, is that you want to win this argument so you're making excuses for DC or do you really think it was Bryan Hitch's idea to pick Jessica and Simon?

Then why did you say "If you really want to see more Hal merch, a better bet is to hope that the GLCorps movie gets greenlit"? That sounds a lot like "you should hope for this not that" to me.
    I get what you mean, Hal kept out of the league is not the reason, but the result. I don't care the reason. I'm just unhappy with the result. And I'm wondering, is that you want to win this argument so you're making excuses for DC or do you really think it was Bryan Hitch's idea to pick Jessica and Simon?
    Sorry, but I am not arguing with you. I am just explaining my point of view as clearly as I can. I have no desire to 'win' anything. Again, I apologize if I have offended you by disagreeing with your characterization of DC’s view towards Hal. That is not my intention.

If continuing this discussion is going to upset you further, I will stop now if you'd like.

What's the meaning of this trick? He is still in the team. He just doesn't show up in the team book. I could say the same with Dick. He is still in Titans. He's just not one of the members Abnett's focusing on.
    I am not trying to trick you. We are not opponents or adversaries here. We simply see the situation differently.

As for Nightwing, he's no longer available due to the creative direction of his solo book. Similarly, Hal will likely be unavailable due to being undercover. However, prior to this, Hal was definitely still on the League.

Again, if you want to stop talking about this, just say the word and I will drop it completely.

Just to dip my toe into this (and not wanting to step on anyone else's...), the difference I see between being "on the team" and being "featured in the book" is that yes, we don't get to see Hal in a JL title every month, but it does allow him to show up for things like "Darkseid War" or "Metal" without skipping a beat, or any sense of "what's so-and-so suddenly doing on the team?" In-universe Hal seems able to come and go as part of the team, but regardless of the reason, he's not featured in the monthly comics and yes, it sucks that DC treats his slot as "The GL slot". It's Hal's slot dangit!

By Jim Starlin.

I too am going to dip my toe in this. This is just my opinion, though. Based on the GLC and that there are multiple are Green Lanterns, I can believe that the GLs rotate their time on Earth and as such Hal isn't always available to be in the JL book (as an in-universe reason I guess). I'm also okay with the current writer using who they want. Snyder had Hal appear in Metal. He also decided he wanted John in his ongoing. I think that's okay. As it stands right now, it's the only place John is appearing regularly. Same could be said if it had been Guy or if Simon stayed on.