Page 56 of 222 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast

I didn't even know Kyle had teamed-up with Ollie to be honest.

I thought he only knew Connor.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The various Earth GLs are absolutely not interchangeable. A story that works for Hal wouldn't necessarily work for someone else. Same goes for John in Snyder's Justice League. You couldn't just swap out John for Hal there and have the Ultraviolet Lantern stuff work the same. As Morrison showed so effectively last issue, Hal isn't haunted by his past anymore

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    Sigh.

We are all talking about how different and unique each GL is, and then the solicitation for The Green Lantern #8 reads: "Green Lantern teams up with Green Arrow to stop a cosmic drug cartel that’s using Earth as its main distribution base!” which is way too close to the Black Circle: Urban Knights storyline from 2003, in which Green Lantern (Kyle) and Green Arrow (Ollie) worked together to "save Earth from a evil alien Crim Syndicate bent on taking over."
    Yeah, but that's just a surface description. Kyle and Hal absolutely do not have the same interactions or history with Ollie.

Incredible Member

I might have not been as clear as I thought I was, and I apologize for that.

We all agree each GL is unique, but it seems it is DC who can't grasp the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    I might have not been as clear as I thought I was, and I apologize for that.

We all agree each GL is unique, but it seems it is DC who can't grasp the concept.
    How so? Aside from having too many Earth GLs to give each a place to shine, I've been pleasantly surprised by how well Hal, John, Guy, Kyle, and Jessica have been portrayed recently. I still haven't warmed to Simon yet, mostly because he's too similar to Guy.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The various Earth GLs are absolutely not interchangeable. A story that works for Hal wouldn't necessarily work for someone else. Same goes for John in Snyder's Justice League. You couldn't just swap out John for Hal there and have the Ultraviolet Lantern stuff work the same. As Morrison showed so effectively last issue, Hal isn't haunted by his past anymore
    Yeah, I don't think the charge really sticks. It was very much a Hal haters thing at the time. Johns' run was hitting its stride and they themselves were reading it and couldn't quite say that the book was "bad" but still needed to diss Hal somehow. Hence, "the story could have worked with any Lantern."

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Yeah, I don't think the charge really sticks. It was very much a Hal haters thing at the time. Johns' run was hitting its stride and they themselves were reading it and couldn't quite say that the book was "bad" but still needed to diss Hal somehow. Hence, "the story could have worked with any Lantern."
    It's sort of true to say that the broad strokes of Johns's Emotional Spectrum/Sinestro War/Blackest Night arc could have worked with any of the Earth Lanterns, but it wouldn't have been the same animal because each of those guys would approach it very differently, and the character beats would have to very different because Hal, John, Guy & Kyle each have very different relationships towards Sinestro, Star Sapphire, Black Hand, Abin Sur, Nekron, and the Guardians.

It's like saying Star Wars would have worked with Lando Calrissian as the main character instead of Luke Skywalker. Yeah, it's possible, but it would be a very, very different Star Wars and not necessarily for the better.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    This show hasn't done Hal TOO dirty, he didn't shove her into that locker like I was expecting!
    I really hope this show doesn't make Hal look incompetent as a Green Lantern.

happy st patricks day

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    happy st patricks day

Now that I think about it, no too many Irish DC characters that I can think of off the top of my head .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Now that I think about it, no too many Irish DC characters that I can think of off the top of my head .
    maybe one of the global guardians?

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Kyle Rayner is Irish. They emphasized and showed it very strongly with his Mom.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Wasn't Guy at one point said to be Irish-American too?

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Kyle Rayner is Irish. They emphasized and showed it very strongly with his Mom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Wasn't Guy at one point said to be Irish-American too?
    I can see Guy being Irish more then I can Kyle.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

I was about to say I think Guy is also Irish. I guses it all ties together. Irish, the color green and cops. Then you have Green Lanterns who are space cops with the color green. Makes sense they are Irish.

In New York actually, they have in front of all the police precincts a green lamp, or lantern if you will, for the Irish.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake