Page 61 of 222 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Pretty inspirational .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Attachment 80246
    That friendship doesn't look very healthy.
    That looks like Jessica slapping Hal in the face.

So I watched the "Hate Triangle" episode of the new DC Super Hero Girls...

Yeah, I enjoy the show, but it really doesn't have a flattering take on Hal .
    Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    That looks like Jessica slapping Hal in the face.
    And she is.

Apparently her "pacifism" doesn't include slapping Hal repeatedly or punching him in the arm...repeatedly.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So I watched the "Hate Triangle" episode of the new DC Super Hero Girls...

Yeah, I enjoy the show, but it really doesn't have a flattering take on Hal .

And she is.

Apparently her "pacifism" doesn't include slapping Hal repeatedly or punching him in the arm...repeatedly.
    Me not knowing the context of the show, so this will be an uninformed comment: getting slapped in the face is still considered funny even today?

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Me not knowing the context of the show, so this will be an uninformed comment: getting slapped in the face is still considered funny even today?
    Depending on how it's used? Yeah, I guess .

Astonishing Member

Depending on how it's used? Yeah, I guess .
    Oh well.

How was the show? I'm curious if Sapphire was in it. Not excited that shes on the villains team again. But hey, what can you do.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Something tells me we are not the target audience for DC Super Hero Girls

That said, I watch it with the kids and they have a great time with it, mostly because every character is a deeply flawed constantly making fools of themselves. They're going for a Looney Toons here, not Justice League Unlimited, and nobody would want to watch a Bugs Bunny who isn't a sociopath or a Daffy Duck who's kind and selfless.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

That said, I watch it with the kids and they have a great time with it, mostly because every character is a deeply flawed constantly making fools of themselves. They're going for a Looney Toons here, not Justice League Unlimited, and nobody would want to watch a Bugs Bunny who isn't a sociopath or a Daffy Duck who's kind and selfless.
    Oh ok. At least every body gets to be looney then.

Looking at the photo (without knowing what happened in the show) just made me think that guys like Hal (or Superman or Captain Atom) gets to be the the punching bag.

But hey, if Guy can take a one punch joke, so can Hal.

It's amusing to see the people who write the show are just as clueless about the Hal Jordan character as some of the comic creators are. But I guess it should be expected. It's 2019 and the character being treated like a joke is nothing new under the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

I mean, I'm a 24-year old dude and I get I'm not the target audience, but I do still enjoy the show.

I get that everyone is a lot more zanier and goofier versions of themselves, I just think it doesn't come off well with their take on Hal.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I mean, I'm a 24-year old dude and I get I'm not the target audience, but I do still enjoy the show.

I get that everyone is a lot more zanier and goofier versions of themselves, I just think it doesn't come off well with their take on Hal.
    Could you tell me which character does come off well? Wonder Woman is a self-important princess, Supergirl is violent hot head, Batgirl is an obsessive-compulsive fangirl, Jess is an overzealous SJW, Zatanna is a drama queen, and Bumblebee is a complete dork. They are all flawed teenagers who are prone to being overly emotional, crazy, and straight-up incompetent based upon what I've watched so far. Granted, I haven't been paying close attention to it, like I said, I'm not really the audience for this, but from what I've seen doesn't seem all that far off from the craziness of Teen Titans Go which goes out of its way to portray its protagonists as complete idiots and fools.

I mean, does anyone think any of the girls come off well here? Again, this is not Justice League Unlimited, this is more like a Looney Toons by way of Teen Titans Go.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    man, i miss aya. she was a great addition to the green lantern lore.

and of all the shows i've seen, i think this show had the best interpretation of hal.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    man, i miss aya. she was a great addition to the green lantern lore.

and of all the shows i've seen, i think this show had the best interpretation of hal.
    By far. One amazing season.

I liked Aya, and I imagine she would have seen growth had the show continued, but I'm not the biggest fan of the naive, infantilized babydoll trope she fell right into. Nor the super powerful female who turns evil because her feelings are hurt in the second arc. It didn't help that she was the only female and designed to look half naked.