Page 88 of 222 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298138188 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 3319
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Hal is on the List of Suspects being infected by Batman who Laughs to become more like a Dark Version and selected for the New Secret Six
    To paraphrase Hal, "Been there. Done that."

I think Morrison has been given virtually complete creative control over Hal Jordan for the foreseeable future, and I don't think he has any interest in participating in anymore events designed to temporarily boost sales, and the same goes for Johns. These guys don't need to bother with these stunts anymore. They generate more than enough sales on their own. They'll play nicely in terms of sticking within the current status quo of the shared universe that is the DCU, but neither are interested in derailing their stories for the latest event.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    After having read TGL #7, I'm getting extra chills reading that scene from Rebirth where the ring flies off to Hal just before he is revived.
    Yeah, there's a lot of different moments throughout GL history that read very differently now that we know how special the relationship between Hal and his ring is.

Waaaaay back in '86, when Tomar Re died, his dying wish was to pass on his ring to Hal, who had resigned from the GLCorps for Carol. However, Tomar's ring instead went directly to a confused John Stewart and informed him that he was wearing Hal's ring. At the time, that ring swap seemed like a weirdly nitpicky moment. I mean, why would a power ring care whose finger it was on as long as that being was worthy of it? After this issue, that whole scene has a whole other level of depth and emotion to it since its clear that even Tomar's ring knew how special the bond between Hal and his ring was.

It also adds an extra sting to Emerald Twilight when a weeping Hal takes off his ring because he doesn't think he's worthy of it anymore, then crushes it under his boot after he's been fully subsumed by Parallax.

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Hal is on the List of Suspects being infected by Batman who Laughs to become more like a Dark Version and selected for the New Secret Six
    I don't expect that to go anywhere.

I just hope it's not a retread of Batman not trusting Hal because of the Parallax thing again.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I just hope it's not a retread of Batman not trusting Hal because of the Parallax thing again.
    Doesn't Batman get along with Hal now? Aside form him propping up Simon because he was happy to work with somebody that wasn't Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Doesn't Batman get along with Hal now? Aside form him propping up Simon because he was happy to work with somebody that wasn't Hal.
    Yeah, Johns closed the book on the whole Batman/Hal tension with Darkseid War. I'm sure there's always going to be a fair amount of playful teasing and ball busting, but Bats & Hal's issues are now water under the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yeah, Johns closed the book on the whole Batman/Hal tension with Darkseid War. I'm sure there's always going to be a fair amount of playful teasing and ball busting, but Bats & Hal's issues are now water under the bridge.
    Not that that's ever stopped writers from ignoring character development .

Not that that's ever stopped writers from ignoring character development .
    Which is precisely why we ignore them.

The beauty of the current loose state of continuity is getting to ignore anything you don't like. Anytime I see something in a DC comic I think is stupid, I just think "Perpetua burped" and move on...

Astonishing Member

I don't expect that to go anywhere.
    Agree.

Like Bired said, feels like Morrison has been handed the control of Green Lantern for now.

And l'm not sure if being part of the six would make sense even. Isnt Perry White supposed to be a part of it? What kind of team would that make? Sorry, haven't been following the news lately.

Which is precisely why we ignore them.

The beauty of the current loose state of continuity is getting to ignore anything you don't like. Anytime I see something in a DC comic I think is stupid, I just think "Perpetua burped" and move on...
    Ignoring development sucks. Why buy books if nothing matters?
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    So that's why they were standing on hands. I just got it right now.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Can't find the image, but that scene went something like this as Bruce said to Hal:

"I said the ring was the hero. I was wrong."
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I was kind of annoyed by that whole thing. I get that you need to have conflicts between the characters, but by this point Bruce should be more than aware that it's not the ring who's the hero. Hal previously sacrificed his life to restore the sun and he had no ring at that point anymore. The Darkseid War was a perfect example of Bruce being a dick for the sake of being a dick. I guess you could say that he was influenced by the Mobius Chair, but Hal was the only one he was always being an ass to.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-02-2019 at 02:35 AM.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Yeah, there's a lot of different moments throughout GL history that read very differently now that we know how special the relationship between Hal and his ring is.

Waaaaay back in '86, when Tomar Re died, his dying wish was to pass on his ring to Hal, who had resigned from the GLCorps for Carol. However, Tomar's ring instead went directly to a confused John Stewart and informed him that he was wearing Hal's ring. At the time, that ring swap seemed like a weirdly nitpicky moment. I mean, why would a power ring care whose finger it was on as long as that being was worthy of it? After this issue, that whole scene has a whole other level of depth and emotion to it since its clear that even Tomar's ring knew how special the bond between Hal and his ring was.

It also adds an extra sting to Emerald Twilight when a weeping Hal takes off his ring because he doesn't think he's worthy of it anymore, then crushes it under his boot after he's been fully subsumed by Parallax.
    Yeah, that scene now carries so much more added emotional weight. Also all the times during the Bronze Age when Hal's oath ceremony was shown to be something very personal for him. It used to come off as cheesy but now we can see why it would be a very personal thing for Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Ignoring development sucks. Why buy books if nothing matters?
    The good stuff matters and is built upon, while the bad stuff is ignored and never mentioned again, which is how continuity worked before Mike Carlin decided every bad retcon and story needed to be stay, no matter how ill advised or unpopular it was.