Page 89 of 222 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139189 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 3319
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I was kind of annoyed by that whole thing. I get that you need to have conflicts between the characters, but by this point Bruce should be more than aware that it's not the ring who's the hero. Hal previously sacrificed his life to restore the sun and he had no ring at that point anymore. The Darkseid War was a perfect example of Bruce being a dick for the sake of being a dick. I guess you could say that he was influenced by the Mobius Chair, but Hal was the only one he was always being an ass to.
    Since Darkseid War was kind of the last chapter of the New 52, I read that as more of a continuation of the relationship Johns had started in Origin, in which all that previous history Hal and Bats had with each other had been temporarily forgotten thanks to time shenanigans.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I was kind of annoyed by that whole thing. I get that you need to have conflicts between the characters, but by this point Bruce should be more than aware that it's not the ring who's the hero. Hal previously sacrificed his life to restore the sun and he had no ring at that point anymore. The Darkseid War was a perfect example of Bruce being a dick for the sake of being a dick. I guess you could say that he was influenced by the Mobius Chair, but Hal was the only one he was always being an ass to.
    Perhaps there was some lingering resentment by Bruce over the fact Hal doesn't buy into Batman's scare tactics. While Hal was never likely to say "Bitch, please!" to Bruce's face, he made it plain he wasn't afraid of Bats.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I think to some degree Johns knew he was writing for the trade for "DW" which meant less continuity and he just wanted to have an arc for Batman and Hal that fit into this story, regardless of how it fit in continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The good stuff matters and is built upon, while the bad stuff is ignored and never mentioned again, which is how continuity worked before Mike Carlin decided every bad retcon and story needed to be stay, no matter how ill advised or unpopular it was.
    Either that or expect the writers to take the bad stuff and spin it into good stuff somehow...

(I mean, that's kind of what Rebirth did).

Astonishing Member

Who knew Hal would also work well in the Vertigo universe.

Last issue was great. I didn’t enjoy Morrison’s attempt at prose with his Batman issue but this time around I felt it worked better.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Either that or expect the writers to take the bad stuff and spin it into good stuff somehow...

(I mean, that's kind of what Rebirth did).
    Anything that makes for a good story is always on the table. If a crappy idea or story can help inform a good story in the present, use it. Otherwise, just forget about them. No point wallowing in the past.

I wonder if general audiences will look at Hal now and see more Carol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Anything that makes for a good story is always on the table. If a crappy idea or story can help inform a good story in the present, use it. Otherwise, just forget about them. No point wallowing in the past.
    I dunno. From a continuity standpoint I think getting more "creative" with the bad stuff ends up being less problematic or confusing in the longrun then just outright pretending it didn't happen, but there are many different stances when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Incredible Member

Isn't it interesting that Batman admitted he was being an ass and he was wrong about Hal? Batman is only a human. He makes mistakes.

I wonder if general audiences will look at Hal now and see more Carol.

I dunno. From a continuity standpoint I think getting more "creative" with the bad stuff ends up being less problematic or confusing in the longrun then just outright pretending it didn't happen, but there are many different stances when it comes to that kind of stuff.
    They totally will. The GA has the memory of a gold fish, whatever the first BIG version of something is. Whatever comes after is just a ripoff or lesser version. I can already hear the criticisms before we even get the GLC movie.

I feel like it will be a lot like how everyone lost their mind over Endgame being 3 hours. Like it was somehow the first ever 3 hour long movie.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    They totally will. The GA has the memory of a gold fish, whatever the first BIG version of something is. Whatever comes after is just a ripoff or lesser version. I can already hear the criticisms before we even get the GLC movie.

I feel like it will be a lot like how everyone lost their mind over Endgame being 3 hours. Like it was somehow the first ever 3 hour long movie.
    Reminds me of all the Black Panther comparisons to Aquaman .

Incredible Member

It seems Hal will join in the Death Battle to fight Ben 10...
    https://twitter.com/BenBSinger/statu...82670051495936

If addressing old continuity that didn't work anymore helps the new story better, I'm all for it, but, when it doesn't, I think ignoring it is the best policy.

How Geoff Johns dealt with DeMatties's Spectre series is a good example. While there was some great Ryan Sook and Norm Breyfogle art on that title, it didn't really connect with many readers. When it came time for Johns to restore Hal's classic status quo in Rebirth, he didn't get bogged down with Hal's neice Helen, Stigmonius (who had resurrected Sinestro), or the Logoz stuff that DeMatties had established because it would have needlessly complicated the already tricky story of Hal Jordan's exoneration and resurrection. All Johns's used was the larger concept of Hal being The Spectre and proceeded from there.

To do that, Johns completely ignored and contradicted major parts of what DeMatties had done and went on to create what is undeniably one of the most successful Green Lantern runs ever. Would GL: Rebirth have been made better by devoting pages to addressing the continuity of a series that few people liked? I don't think so. Johns did was best for his story and I think most readers would agree he made the right call.