Page 29 of 239 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    Hi everyone. I can't seem to find a Barry Allen thread . . .
    Barry Allen: The Flash (Silver/Bronze Ages + current) Appreciation 2019
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2019

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

One of the best Wally, (and super hero in general,) scenes. I can watch this a million times.

My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Reply to #422 video:

I honestly don't remember which scene was the first one I saw that made me love this Flash (although I do know it took months before I got to see Justice League's first two seasons) but it was likely this one because I know I didn't get to see Flash and Substance or The Great Brain Robbery to later as well. So it was likely this... ...or the one with the Gorilla Grodd. Great and terrible jokes in that one.

Never liked the animation style on how the bodies where drawn out of proportion. All the newer (DC52 on) animation was much better imho, but this show was (also imho) the best Justice League animated -stories- ever. If it wasn't for this show, I would still think that comic books were pretty much no longer in print. If it wasn't for this show, I would never have fallen hard for a whole genre I'd not paid attention to since the two Reeves actors.

I still read Superman, Batman, Wally, etc with these actors voices in my head.

So while this Wally West ended up not becoming my favorite Wally West (that honor goes to a tie with Waid and Messner-Loeb) ...and God nows I had to unlearn a lot of stuff once I was introduced to Waid's tradebooks... Justice League Unlimited's Flash will always hold a special place in my heart.

Go, Wally! Run faster than the wind.

(Side note: One of the best things about this show was the little attentions to detail that you miss the first showing. Like how when the exhausted Luthor exhales in that pit a little cloud of dust rises up from his breath. They could have left that detail out, but they didn't.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Michael Rosenbaum will forever be Wally's voice. He really did crystalize that character's persona from his early days as The Flash and further cemented Wally as my favorite scarlet speedster.

"Flash and Substance" was such a fun episode it really made me want a Flash Animated Series. Alas, the road not traveled.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Michael Rosenbaum will forever be Wally's voice. He really did crystalize that character's persona from his early days as The Flash and further cemented Wally as my favorite scarlet speedster.

"Flash and Substance" was such a fun episode it really made me want a Flash Animated Series. Alas, the road not traveled.
    I love Rosenbaum as The Flash, but I think Jason Spisak gives him a good run for his money, if only because his Wally gets to do more then just be the comedy relief, early Flash Wally, that Rosenbuam was 90% of the time in the DCAU.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I love Rosenbaum as The Flash, but I think Jason Spisak gives him a good run for his money, if only because his Wally gets to do more then just be the comedy relief, early Flash Wally, that Rosenbuam was 90% of the time in the DCAU.
    Spisak was easily the best thing about Wally on Young Justice.

Though I'm not sure I'd agree he got to do more since both versions just seemed to alternate between being the comic relief and a stubborn butt. I'd actually say Rosenbaum got way better stuff to work with from a writing standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Rend20 View Post

Though I'm not sure I'd agree he got to do more since both versions just seemed to alternate between being the comic relief and a stubborn butt. I'd actually say Rosenbaum got way better stuff to work with from a writing standpoint.
    Like the episode where Wally, Bruce, and Orion are tracking down the Rogues?
    Rather than follow Orion's more harsh methods, Wally sits with Trickster and talks to him. Convinces James to go back and that he'll stop by to play some games with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rend20 View Post

You might have a point there. I'd probably have to re-watch both shows again to get a better comparison between how they're handled respectively.

I do feel like YJ Wally was better fleshed out then JL/JLU Wally, at least from what I remember.

All-New Member

The flash and substance episode imo is the best flash piece of media outside of comics. There were so many great little moments such as the flash museum, Wally's apartment being rundown because he is to busy protecting the city, the rogues, the scene with the trickster, and Wally interacting with the citizens. I loved when orion said to Wally "I understnad now you play the fool to hide a warrior's pain", which I that quote alone summarizes his charcter in JLU.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Like the episode where Wally, Bruce, and Orion are tracking down the Rogues?
    "Flash and Substance" was certainly a really good episode for JL/U Wally.

But I also really enjoyed a lot of the more smaller and subtle moments: things like him stopping Wonder Woman from crushing Toyman in "Hereafter", him manipulating Lord!Batman, his fears about his powers, the excitement he had about his apartment having low maintenance fees/laundry room on the same floor, and everything with Ultra-Humanite in "Comfort and Joy".

He was the semi-incompetent goofball, but I thought the show provided all these moments that balanced his character out. I'm actually of the opinion he had far more development and depth on JL/U which is interesting given the show never really set things up for him like Young Justice seemingly did.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Bruce Timm did say that if they made the Flash competent then he'd be the most overpowered person in the team. Given that mindset it becomes a lot clearer why he was so easygoing and a goof; he never really had to get too serious. In the moments he does, the League is usually there.

Taking out Brainiac/Luthor was when it really did come down to him and served as such a great catalyst for discovering the Speed Force.

Wally's arc in that show is one of the best, bar none.

Fantastic Member

You might have a point there. I'd probably have to re-watch both shows again to get a better comparison between how they're handled respectively.
    As I think I've mentioned before, the biggest difference for me is I thought JL provided a balance to his character that YJ never really succeeded in doing. Justice League seemed willing to actively give him credit and acknowledge his importance to make up for the other stuff where as Young Justice pretty much downplayed those things (aside from "Coldhearted") in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Bruce Timm did say that if they made the Flash competent then he'd be the most overpowered person in the team. Given that mindset it becomes a lot clearer why he was so easygoing and a goof; he never really had to get too serious.
    Yeah, I remember reading that. And while they really struggled with his competency level in the beginning, I did think they found a sweet spot as the series progressed.

I also appreciated the organic way his "nerfing" was handled through establishing he was afraid he'd get stuck sped up, showing the property damage his powers caused when he went all out, and his experience with the Speed Force. Those things and his easygoing nature provided a logical explanation for why he holds back.
    Last edited by Rend20; 02-11-2019 at 05:46 AM.

I really like both of them but if I had to choose one to watch I would go with JL Wally ultimately.

JL Wally does have the advantage of having many seasons to be fleshed out as opposed to YJ's just one season. Although they did do a good job in that one season.

Also I prefer Wally as the Flash rather than as Kid Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    I really like both of them but if I had to choose one to watch I would go with JL Wally ultimately.

JL Wally does have the advantage of having many seasons to be fleshed out as opposed to YJ's just one season. Although they did do a good job in that one season.

Also I prefer Wally as the Flash rather than as Kid Flash.
    I dunno, I just don't really feel like JL Wally was that fleshed out. Maybe in his characterization as The Flash.

Maybe I should really re-watch JL/JLU .

I dunno, I just don't really feel like JL Wally was that fleshed out. Maybe in his characterization as The Flash.

Maybe I should really re-watch JL/JLU .
    It did take awhile but over a few years I feel like he was fleshed out.

Granted I'll admit that YJ covered a lot of ground in their one season with Wally and given more they definitely would have surpassed JL in character progression but Wally was mostly MIA in season 2 and the only orIginal not present for season 3.