Page 30 of 239 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    It did take awhile but over a few years I feel like he was fleshed out.

Granted I'll admit that YJ covered a lot of ground in their one season with Wally and given more they definitely would have surpassed JL in character progression but Wally was mostly MIA in season 2 and the only orIginal not present for season 3.
    Not even the first sidekick to succeed their mentor .

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Not even the first sidekick to succeed their mentor .
    "Sigh". Yet another achievement and unique trait of Wally's taken away.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    "Sigh". Yet another achievement and unique trait of Wally's taken away.
    The same can be said if Justice League (Unlimited).

RCO014.jpg

From GL #96. Classic Wally, Kyle and Connor moment. Man I miss these guys.
    Last edited by WallyWestFlash; 02-11-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Fantastic Member

I dunno, I just don't really feel like JL Wally was that fleshed out.
    That's how I feel about YJ Wally.

I found his character and story to be stagnant while being incredibly shallow in terms of depth. All the other main characters were fleshed out and nuanced where as Wally was just there acting based on what the plot/show needed. There was just nothing there in terms of his characterization and motivations beyond his concern for Artemis in season two.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

YJ Wally I pretty much only watched because he -was- Wally. Kids are not my thing. The fact they made him just as much the butt of jokes like first season Justice League did not help.

Cold Hearted was good though. I liked that one. And most of the Flash Family episode if only because of Jay. So good to see Jay animated and in action.

Then right when Wally got to adult age in Season Two they made him MIA before offing him.

Oh. And the whole 1/10th the speed of Barry or Bart rankled like Barry The Speed Force Engine did in Flash: Rebirth.

Yeah.... I still have issues with Young Justice. I only pay attention to the news now in case they do bring him back and in a redeeming way.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Cold Hearted was good though.
    Never been much of a fan of wally, but to me that was the best episode of the season.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Oh. And the whole 1/10th the speed of Barry or Bart rankled like Barry The Speed Force Engine did in Flash: Rebirth.
    Him being slower wouldn't have been bad if they had handled it in a respectful way.

Instead they only actively used it to have fun at his expense in the Flash-Family episode and be the reason he died while the other speedsters survived. The inferiority only actively existed so they could drive home how much of a failure he was as a speedster.

Quote Originally Posted by Rend20 View Post
    That's how I feel about YJ Wally.

I found his character and story to be stagnant while being incredibly shallow in terms of depth. All the other main characters were fleshed out and nuanced where as Wally was just there acting based on what the plot/show needed. There was just nothing there in terms of his characterization and motivations beyond his concern for Artemis in season two.
    I thought they did a good job of giving Wally depth and making him a dynamic character, and it felt like he had a lot of dimension and nuance, but to each their own .
    Quote Originally Posted by Rend20 View Post
    Him being slower wouldn't have been bad if they had handled it in a respectful way.

Instead they only actively used it to have fun at his expense in the Flash-Family episode and be the reason he died while the other speedsters survived. The inferiority only actively existed so they could drive home how much of a failure he was as a speedster.
    Yeah, I think that trait would've been more interesting to see play out with Wally as The Flash, and give him more of a reason to surpass Barry, then to just use it as an excuse to kill him off.

I dunno, I just don't really feel like JL Wally was that fleshed out. Maybe in his characterization as The Flash.

Maybe I should really re-watch JL/JLU .
    Wally's development in JL/JLU is more subtle but it's there. I would disagree that it did more in JL than YJ.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Fantastic Member

I thought they did a good job of giving Wally depth and making him a dynamic character, and it felt like he had a lot of dimension and nuance, but to each their own .
    I admit I'm a little harsher towards YJ because they handled all the other characters so well.

But Wesiman revealing they were going to have Wally express a desire to return to the hero life in the S2 finale which would have taken place an episode after they had him reaffirm his desire to retire to Bart sort of highlights my issues with how things were handled. Things just seemed to change based on what the show needed and wanted with Wally.

Yeah, I think that trait would've been more interesting to see play out with Wally as The Flash, and give him more of a reason to surpass Barry, then to just use it as an excuse to kill him off.
    It would have been nice to see his comic history play out on-screen. But it's not even about making him the Flash.

Simply leaving Barry and Bart actively out of his death scene would have worked great. They already established his inferiority earlier, so having him overcome it to save the world is terrific. But the inclusion of Barry and Bart just made it another example of how he wasn't good enough because we know he could have survived if he was.
    Last edited by Rend20; 02-11-2019 at 09:42 PM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I loved Young Justice.
    It was a GREAT cartoon.
    But, Lord help me, I will NEVER forgive them for that Season 2 finale.
    Wally went out like a bitch. It left SUCH a bad taste in my mouth that it's pretty much the only DC animated related thing I refuse to buy.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

Young Justice spent more time showing us who Wally West was, his friendships, his family, his love life, his personal life. He had a more nuanced personality, that developed as the show went out.

Justice League didn't give much thought to Wally West, just The Flash. It took 51 episodes to even find out that the Flash even was Wally. It was a broader take, but one that catered to the needs of the show, which was more focused on super-hero action than the personal lives of the heroes.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Young Justice spent more time showing us who Wally West was, his friendships, his family, his love life, his personal life.
    Not really.

We got one throwaway scene of his family together, his friendships with John/Shayera trumped any he had on YJ in terms of balance and depth, his relationship with Artemis was a one-sided mess, and he was shown to have no desires outside of wanting a normal life to justify his retirement. It was essentially superficial in nature.

He had a more nuanced personality, that developed as the show went out.
    He was the same character at the end that he was at the beginning. The only change is he transferred his need to do the hero thing to make him feel better about himself onto his relationship with Artemis.
    Last edited by Rend20; 02-12-2019 at 06:08 PM.