Page 177 of 239 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181187227 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,655 of 3576
    Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

I'm currently rereading Wally's Flash series from start to finish, and I'm on the early part of Waid's first run. Starting around issue #80, there's a recurring villain group called The Combine that keeps popping up, and eventually there are references to Wally fighting them in issues 18-20 of the Darkstars comic. I really don't know much about Darkstars, other than being vaguely aware that they're an intergalactic police force, kinda like the Green Lanterns, but not related to the GLs. And if I remember correctly, Donna Troy was a member, though I don't know how long that lasted.

So my question for this group: Is this story any good? Is it worth picking up, if my only interest is the fact that Flash is in it? I'm not enough of a completionist collect every comic he ever appeared in, unless there's a chance that it's actually a good read.
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
    I'm currently rereading Wally's Flash series from start to finish, and I'm on the early part of Waid's first run. Starting around issue #80, there's a recurring villain group called The Combine that keeps popping up, and eventually there are references to Wally fighting them in issues 18-20 of the Darkstars comic. I really don't know much about Darkstars, other than being vaguely aware that they're an intergalactic police force, kinda like the Green Lanterns, but not related to the GLs. And if I remember correctly, Donna Troy was a member, though I don't know how long that lasted.

So my question for this group: Is this story any good? Is it worth picking up, if my only interest is the fact that Flash is in it? I'm not enough of a completionist collect every comic he ever appeared in, unless there's a chance that it's actually a good read.
    I don't remember Wally really interacting with the Darkstars.

Just this Green Lantern issue with this Darkstar fighting Flash with Hal involved. But this is actually Barry aka Thawne who was posing as Barry from the Return of BA story.

Dont remember any other interaction off hand though.

847191.jpg

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

If you look up Darkstars issues 18-20, they all show Wally on the cover, with a "Featuring Flash" blurb to attract attention. I know he's in there. I'm just wondering if it's a good enough story to care.
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

BANNED

I got a bad feeling about this new Wally West mini series... https://www.newsarama.com/46407-who-...character.html

Astonishing Member

"Hey, what's this new Wally West series about?"

"Well, it's about Tempus Fuginaut."

say what now

Fantastic Member

If you look up Darkstars issues 18-20, they all show Wally on the cover, with a "Featuring Flash" blurb to attract attention. I know he's in there. I'm just wondering if it's a good enough story to care.
    It was okay from what I remember.

Then again, all I really remember is Wally having a jerk moment with Linda at the beginning and his house getting blown up with Wally being Wally.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I got a bad feeling about this new Wally West mini series...
    Nothing about it really sounds all that interesting.

It honestly seems like the book is a scramble job after the Suicide Squad plans fell through. Lodbell is a go-to writer in such situations, and Didio has seemingly transferred the general concept for his Sideways plot onto Wally.

Quote Originally Posted by Rend20 View Post
    It was okay from what I remember.

Then again, all I really remember is Wally having a jerk moment with Linda at the beginning and his house getting blown up with Wally being Wally.
    A lady in that kind of outfit hugging you tight? Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty compromising position .

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Wow, you know, I never did get around to reading that. I read Waid's Flash as it came out and I remember Wally appearing in Darkstars but I never bothered to actually read those issues. I completely forgot they existed. Might be worth checking out if I can track down the issues at some point. It's clearly not vital. though.

Also, as far as the Darkstars, they were basically just rip-off Green Lanterns but have been used well in Morrison's current Green Lantern run - or at least a rogue group of them called the Blackstars.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Man, seeing anything from 'Ringo just makes me happy and sad simultaneously. I would have loved seeing him return to the Flash with his more refined style (though I still love the precious year he was on the book, to be damn sure) even just for a story or two but, sadly, that never got to happen.

Man, 'Ringo, Parobeck, Cooke... what is it with such brilliant and joyfully cartoony artists dying so young?
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Unfortunately, I AM a hopeless completionist! The story is OK, nothing of any particular importance happens other than wrapping up the Combine plot thread that had been running for a number of issues in Flash.
    You can completely skip it and be perfectly fine.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I looked it up. I did see it around before but never checked it out.

But having looked it up it does look pretty cool with some awesome 90's art. These days Wally is few and far between so I'll grab any Wally appearance I might have missed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I got a bad feeling about this new Wally West mini series... https://www.newsarama.com/46407-who-...character.html
    We have already established that Lobdell as writer is just so that higher ups (including certain people who want Wally gone) can have better creative control over the direction of the book. The OC from Sideways was just the proof we needed. It's less a book for Wally and more a platform for them to shill their personal characters. Just another rampant abuse of powers at DC.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Didio has outright said that Bart's run was never intended to last.
    Excuse me if I don't believe DiDio (of all people) since the "evidence" he kept citing was thoroughly BS. One of the Flash's feet was a step lower than the other on that promo image, yes, but it was most definitely not on the "deadly" ground. Also, Guggenheim publicly stated in interviews that he was blindsided by the order to (senselessly) kill off Bart. I'm pretty sure they would've told him that (longtime ignored and needlessly aged up) Bart was a gonner from the get-go if that had already been the plan when he got the gig. That said, it's not like his run was worth reading to begin with.
    Death's Head, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, House of X, Powers of X.
    Ascender, DIE, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine.
    Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman Beyond, Catwoman, Lois Lane, Naomi, Young Justice.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by twincast View Post
    Excuse me if I don't believe DiDio (of all people) since the "evidence" he kept citing was thoroughly BS. One of the Flash's feet was a step lower than the other on that promo image, yes, but it was most definitely not on the "deadly" ground. Also, Guggenheim publicly stated in interviews that he was blindsided by the order to (senselessly) kill off Bart. I'm pretty sure they would've told him that (longtime ignored and needlessly aged up) Bart was a gonner from the get-go if that had already been the plan when he got the gig. That said, it's not like his run was worth reading to begin with.
    Writers very often don't know that editorial is planning a revamp or offing a character. Heck the originally brought on the TV show writers with the expectation that they'd be writing Barry, not Bart. The series wasn't even given official Flash numbering, it got an ancillary name that set it apart from Jay, Barry, and Wally's runs. That's hardly an accident -- it could've just been Flash volume 3 (like Barry's second run became) if the intention was that it was going to last.

Didio has said for years that he does not believe or support sidekicks or proteges replacing their mentors. Why do you think that total mentality suddenly changed for Bart?

I could maybe believe that they killed off Bart sooner than was intended due to cratering sales. Or that maybe the plan wasn't originally to kill off Bart but to have his run end sooner (which is all I was saying, not necessarily that the plan was always to kill Bart). It probably didn't go exactly as planned but Bart's run coming to an end, intentionally, was certainly the long term plan. They were literally buffering until they could figure out when to bring Barry back.