Page 169 of 239 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172173179219 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,535 of 3576
    Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    What's wrong with loving and reading both?
    That's what we tried to understand for ten years now.

On the Hunter Solomon topic, don't worry guys, it seems he will only appear in two issues. Which might already be too much for you, and I totally get it.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Attachment 84940

FLASH FORWARD #2
    written by SCOTT LOBDELL
    art by BRETT BOOTH and NORM RAPMUND
    cover by EVAN “DOC” SHANER
    variant cover by INHYUK LEE
    When the border between the Multiverse and the Dark Multiverse starts to buckle, who do you turn to? The answer: Wally West. Once the Fastest Man Alive, he’s now a man with nothing left to live for. Will Tempus Fuginaut’s chosen champion rise to the occasion and fight back the demons of the darkness, or will Wally’s own demons win the day?
    ON SALE 10.16.19
    $3.99 US | 2 of 6 | 32 PAGES
    For me the solicit sounds just ok. A lot of stuff that we already knew like the dark multiverse being involved and Fuginaut. So nothing new bad or good for the most part. Might mean that the story will drag on and nothing actually happen until the end like most series these days.

I like that some parts of the solicit still make Wally out to be a hero with "who do u turn to?" And being the "chosen champion". What I don't like is "now a man with nothing left to live for." And "or will Wallys own demons win the day?" Thats just depressing.

I was hoping that the horrific HIC wouldn't even be acknowledged but I guess the best I could hope for is that this dark multiverse has infected Wally. But probably too much to hope for. Don't really want to see Wally struggle if hes a good person or not in this context.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest, doesn't sound like much to get excited for .
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Sounds like I will be dropping after the first issue. Maybe I will be surprised?
    What are your guys reasons for your feelings on this?
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Incredible Member

This Tempus Is a good guy or a bad one? I didn't read anything from The New Age of Heroes.

I don't really understand Dan Didios stance on sidekicks. He said that characters like Nightwing, Roy Harper and Wally make Batman Green Arrow and Barry Allen Flash look old. What does that even mean anyway? Bruce is still kickass as Batman, but so are Dick Tim and Damian. In his world, people shouldn't be allowed to love the main hero and their sidekick protege. They should only love the main hero. That's a crap reason. What's wrong with loving and reading both? I really hope these 3 aren't put on ice just because of Didio's preferences.
    Anecdote I heard about MCU Iron Man is a good summary of Didio’s mindset I think. RDJ wanted Tony and Pepper to get married and have a kid in Iron Man 3. The studio shot that down, and the logic they used was “Iron Man is cool. Do you know who is not cool? Dad.” They’re afraid kids and teens won’t like the characters if they resemble the readers real world fathers too much I guess. Frankly I think that’s idiotic, Batman has been a surrogate father ever since Dick Grayson first showed up. That never hurt his popularity any.

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    This Tempus Is a good guy or a bad one? I didn't read anything from The New Age of Heroes.
    He's a good guy. Perhaps a little on the strict side when it comes to enforcing his mission (protecting the boundaries of the various Multiverses) but I guess it's understandable.

Also, I don't want Flash Forward to be a stealth Sideways Season 2 book (I still hope to see a second volume of Sideways) but the Unseen (Dark Multiverse counterparts of Superman's supporting character who turned out to be physically monstrous but kind-hearted) could perhaps help Wally remember that he is a hero.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I said the Flash Forward solicit sounds interesting but I don't know how good it will be since as far as I know no one else except Snyder has used the Dark Multiverse.

Some of the issues you bring up with the solicits is what bothered me about it.

For me the solicit sounds just ok. A lot of stuff that we already knew like the dark multiverse being involved and Fuginaut. So nothing new bad or good for the most part. Might mean that the story will drag on and nothing actually happen until the end like most series these days.

I like that some parts of the solicit still make Wally out to be a hero with "who do u turn to?" And being the "chosen champion". What I don't like is "now a man with nothing left to live for." And "or will Wallys own demons win the day?" Thats just depressing.

I was hoping that the horrific HIC wouldn't even be acknowledged but I guess the best I could hope for is that this dark multiverse has infected Wally. But probably too much to hope for. Don't really want to see Wally struggle if hes a good person or not in this context.

The first issue is going to have to blow me away and if the depressed, destruction of Wally continues I will not support it.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member

Attachment 84940

FLASH FORWARD #2
    written by SCOTT LOBDELL
    art by BRETT BOOTH and NORM RAPMUND
    cover by EVAN “DOC” SHANER
    variant cover by INHYUK LEE
    When the border between the Multiverse and the Dark Multiverse starts to buckle, who do you turn to? The answer: Wally West. Once the Fastest Man Alive, he’s now a man with nothing left to live for. Will Tempus Fuginaut’s chosen champion rise to the occasion and fight back the demons of the darkness, or will Wally’s own demons win the day?
    ON SALE 10.16.19
    $3.99 US | 2 of 6 | 32 PAGES
    Reads like Didio is backseat plotting (the character iirc is from Didio's Sideways). Less a Flash book and more an attempt at promoting his characters. Hope they don't suddenly introduce the Metal Men in the last issue or something.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 07-23-2019 at 01:04 PM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

What's wrong with loving and reading both? I really hope these 3 aren't put on ice just because of Didio's preferences.
    They already are on ice. They've been on ice for the majority of Didio's tenure.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Astonishing Member

I don't really understand Dan Didios stance on sidekicks. He said that characters like Nightwing, Roy Harper and Wally make Batman Green Arrow and Barry Allen Flash look old. What does that even mean anyway? Bruce is still kickass as Batman, but so are Dick Tim and Damian. In his world, people shouldn't be allowed to love the main hero and their sidekick protege. They should only love the main hero. That's a crap reason. What's wrong with loving and reading both? I really hope these 3 aren't put on ice just because of Didio's preferences.
    He's fine with teenage sidekicks. It's when the teenage sidekicks become adults that he takes issue with.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    He's fine with teenage sidekicks. It's when the teenage sidekicks become adults that he takes issue with.
    And I think this hits a lot of modern readers the wrong way because of just how long and successful the period was where teenage sidekicks grew into adults, a period that saw the heydays of Titans, the “side-kick” promotion, and a period that wound up being the jumping on point for a lot of us. And among those readers, there’s not really any ageism, and in fact, sometimes we actually dislike making a “veteran” hero young unless it’s in short, flashback stories.

I mean, Batman has always been some guy in his late 30’s to mid 40’s for me in terms of his feel: he was on his third Robin by the time I was born, with two sidekicks already into their mid- to late-twenties (since Babs as Oracle was older than Nightwing) and was a proven badass. Superman never really needed to feel younger than that to me - I always thought of him as a peer of Batman, maybe a bit younger, but a peer nonetheless. Wonder Woman was an Amazon, so age meant nothing there... which, come to think of it, applied to Superman, too...

And of course, I grew up with Wally West as the Flash, and became addicted to comics really when I read The Return Of Barry Allen, a storyline all about making this former teen sidekick a matured, veteran adult hero for those who still doubted him. Hal Jordan had grey temples and became Parallax before Kyle Rayner showed up, and Connor Hawke was Green Arrow. The last two I think maybe show where Didio’s fear maybe has its true genesis - a fear that successor characters will end up less marketable and less successful than the characters they replace.

But I think the real heart of the matter is that Didio just has odd, kind of off-kilter, and not-very-applicable-to-The-Main-Audience taste in stories and characters. His anti-adult-sidekick stigma probably comes from just not caring about the characters and constructing a reason in his own head to justify seeing them as a threat.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

But those characters AREN'T a threat!!
    They simply add to the predecessor.
    It's already proven that Kyle and Hal work well together storywise.
    Same goes for Connor and Ollie. Or Ollie and Roy for that matter.
    We'll never know with Barry and Wally as Didio has stripmined everything good from Wally and grafted it onto Barry Allen 2.0
    And while other sidekicks have been given a great disservice since he took the reins, NONE have suffered the scorched Earth policy like Wally.
    Everything that made him a distinct character has been taken away and added to Barry Allen lore - and in doing so (IMO) done a great disservice to both characters.
    Before Flash Rebirth we could've had a functional Flash Family if TPTB had wanted it.
    Where we stand now, it is going to take some SERIOUS heavy lifting just to make Wally viable again.
    And THAT is SOLELY because editorial decided it to be.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Anecdote I heard about MCU Iron Man is a good summary of Didio’s mindset I think. RDJ wanted Tony and Pepper to get married and have a kid in Iron Man 3. The studio shot that down, and the logic they used was “Iron Man is cool. Do you know who is not cool? Dad.” They’re afraid kids and teens won’t like the characters if they resemble the readers real world fathers too much I guess. Frankly I think that’s idiotic, Batman has been a surrogate father ever since Dick Grayson first showed up. That never hurt his popularity any.
    Sounds like those execs had awful fathers and don't believe in setting a better example. They probably hated Unforgiven, Commando and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, all of which feature dad's in prominent roles and are considered cool by most male viewers.

My dad is a former air force pilot who read comics and got into more trouble than the entire Sandlot. Even when he's being a jerk, he's still pretty cool.

Sad to see parents constantly treated like someone to be ashamed of. I certainly never felt that way growing up.
    Last edited by Robanker; 07-23-2019 at 07:46 PM.

Incredible Member

Someone on reddit spoiled a double page from Flash 76 and it is

spoilers:
    Barry and the Pre/Post Flashpoint fam all running together. No Jai or Irey but Wally is there.
    end of spoilers