Page 2 of 239 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

I didn't get a chance to reply to this from the last thread so.

TheSupernaut
    It's comforting to know that Flash comics still have yet to be as good as they were when Wally was the main character. I mean I'm sure this had everything to do with the talented writers and artists on the book over the years, but let's say Barry didn't die in the Crisis, could any of those same stories have been told?

No. Absolutely not.

Wally's series was so great because one, he was a rookie and it was fun to see him grow into a seasoned hero. Something that would not have happened if Barry was in it. We also had Wally grow into his own and out of Barry's shadow. His romance with Linda which was a big part of the series.

But most of all Wally has a completely different personality than Barry so even if you throw in the same villains and scenarios it would be missing Wally's personality, charm, mistakes and ultimate way he would triumph over the situation.

So no, it would definitely not be the same series.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    I didn't get a chance to reply to this from the last thread so.

TheSupernaut
    It's comforting to know that Flash comics still have yet to be as good as they were when Wally was the main character. I mean I'm sure this had everything to do with the talented writers and artists on the book over the years, but let's say Barry didn't die in the Crisis, could any of those same stories have been told?

No. Absolutely not.

Wally's series was so great because one, he was a rookie and it was fun to see him grow into a seasoned hero. Something that would not have happened if Barry was in it. We also had Wally grow into his own and out of Barry's shadow. His romance with Linda which was a big part of the series.

But most of all Wally has a completely different personality than Barry so even if you throw in the same villains and scenarios it would be missing Wally's personality, charm, mistakes and ultimate way he would triumph over the situation.

So no, it would definitely not be the same series.
    Wally was a rookie in the sense of being the Flash as a solo hero. He and the rest of the Fab Five grew up as heroes pretty much their whole lives.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Wally was a rookie in the sense of being the Flash as a solo hero. He and the rest of the Fab Five grew up as heroes pretty much their whole lives.
    That is true. Something that the second gen actually has over the JLA. That they grew up fighting crime rather than starting when they were adults.

Also being a solo hero with taking on big threats with his own rogues in his own city. becoming big league.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Incredible Member

First of all, Happy new year guys!

I was thinking on your thoughts about Waid's run post-Dead Heat, and the change on the tone of the stories. Maybe it's because:

1.Dead Heat it's the last time on Waid's run where the Speed Force is treated as a mistery. After that, all the speedsters accepted its existence. Stories like Chain Lightning and The Dark Flash Saga are about time travel and hyper time.

2.Dead Heat it's when Jhonny Quick died, and he was the speedster who thought in a different way, he was the skeptical one about the Speed Force. After his death, there were only "believers".

3.By that time, the mistery about the guy who told young Wally that everything will be better when he grows up was already solved.

4.Also, we got the modern secret origin of Max Mercury, we already knew his mission, story and past experiences. I know there were more about him to explore, but that happened on Impulse.

In some ways, Dead Heat is the closing of Waid's run, everything else it's like extra time.

In my opinion, Race Against Time and Chain Lightning are the weakest story arcs from Waid´s big stories; they are big and epic, but every issue is also repetitive and changing the time and the scenario on every one didn't help. There were a lot of characters, too.
    Last edited by Batgrayson; 01-01-2019 at 08:44 PM.

Let's hope we get some good news at some point this year, gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    First of all, Happy new year guys!

I was thinking on your thoughts about Waid's run post-Dead Heat, and the change on the tone of the stories. Maybe it's because:

1.Dead Heat it's the last time on Waid's run where the Speed Force is treated as a mistery. After that, all the speedsters accepted its existence. Stories like Chain Lightning and The Dark Flash Saga are about time travel and hyper time.

2.Dead Heat it's when Jhonny Quick died, and he was the speedster who thought in a different way, he was the skeptical one about the Speed Force. After his death, there were only "believers".

3.By that time, the mistery about the guy who told young Wally that everything will be better when he grows up was already solved.

4.Also, we got the modern secret origin of Max Mercury, we already knew his mission, story and past experiences. I know there were more about him to explore, but that happened on Impulse.

In some ways, Dead Heat is the closing of Waid's run, everything else it's like extra time.

In my opinion, Race Against Time and Chain Lightning are the weakest story arcs from Waid´s big stories; they are big and epic, but every issue is also repetitive and changing the time and the scenario on every one didn't help. There were a lot of characters, too.
    Happy new year.

Yes that is true. A lot of mysteries were resolved. That's another way of looking at it. As an ending. I just kind of viewed it as the tip of the ice berg. The beginning of more to come. Like the Sinestro Corp war as I said.

But from what actually came after your version makes me more sense. I just think there is so much more potential.

I liked Race against time. Not as epic as dead heat but a cool epilogue. Chain lighting I need to re read. Been awhile.

I think Barry sums up our Opinion on HiC very well in #4:
    4EBDC4DC-EB60-4A80-A552-C432C2E1AD72.jpg

As did the Canary:
    6EA04CC3-C6F7-4CFF-AAA7-143DA5311F28.jpg
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post

As did the Canary:
    So here's the big question. Is King capable of writing more than three sentences per page?

Incredible Member

So here's the big question. Is King capable of writing more than three sentences per page?
    I..don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    I..don't know
    *Touches face looking distraught* *Looks up putting on a heroic face* I'm *insert hero name*.

I just did a whole comic page. DC I'll be waiting for that check in the mail.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    *Touches face looking distraught* *Looks up putting on a heroic face* I'm *insert hero name*.

I just did a whole comic page. DC I'll be waiting for that check in the mail.
    lol. Exactly. If this is writing then hell, I can do it.

Solicits for this issue. "Batman and Flash investigate the mystery."

Page one. Batman: Its Harley.
    Flash: Its Booster.
    Flash: #&$#&

BRILLIANT!!! How does King do it???

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post

As did the Canary:
    Barry sums up my entire feelings of the current DCU at the moment.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

lol. Exactly. If this is writing then hell, I can do it.

Solicits for this issue. "Batman and Flash investigate the mystery."

Page one. Batman: Its Harley.
    Flash: Its Booster.
    Flash: #&$#&

BRILLIANT!!! How does King do it???
    That’s why he gets paid the big bucks!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Norm Rampund sure is a Wally fan. Beautiful piece.

SKxzTu9e_2601182052471gpadd.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    That’s why he gets paid the big bucks!
    I've only ever read one issue that had no real dialogue and was really good. It was either the Batman or Batman & Robin Requiem issue about Damian's death. Bruce didn't speak the whole time and it was really beautiful with him reading a letter Damian wrote him.

They say "less is more" but it doesn't really work when you do a little then a lot then a little then a lot. It's like the tone and amount of dialogue are competing with each other if that makes any sense.