Page 57 of 239 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Not sure if he can be very much himself if King makes him talk like how he makes literally all of his characters talk. Dude couldn't get a voice down to save his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Not sure if he can be very much himself if King makes him talk like how he makes literally all of his characters talk. Dude couldn't get a voice down to save his life.
    Maybe. I can see where you're coming from with some of the other characters but I think his writing style actually suits Wally pretty well.

Astonishing Member

He makes all of his characters talk the same way, stumbling over their words, saying "like" every sentence. and constantly using sentence fragments as if they can't mentally process a coherent thought. Wally's the king of the inner monologue. While I understand dialing back the charm and vibrancy because, sigh, this comic is incredibly morbid and dark, he still sounds nothing like any Wally I've ever read anyone ever write.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    He makes all of his characters talk the same way, stumbling over their words, saying "like" every sentence. and constantly using sentence fragments as if they can't mentally process a coherent thought. Wally's the king of the inner monologue. While I understand dialing back the charm and vibrancy because, sigh, this comic is incredibly morbid and dark, he still sounds nothing like any Wally I've ever read anyone ever write.
    I agree that the "likes" are a bit much but hardly a deal breaker for me. Overall it sounded like Wally would in this type of situation to me. I'm aware that King has a specific way that he likes to write characters. I just don't have any issue with how Wally is portrayed in that style. Still like it better than Baron's Wally and miles better than Wolfman's during NTT.

Speaking of NTT and Baron's Flash, i had to say that when i read Pre and Posrt-Crisis Wally in the 80s, the change of his story with his parents was the one that took me the most by surprise, being all lovey dovey in NTT and the having then as neglectfuls and generally crappy people after Crisis, i did like the change thougth, but is still a bit weird to me.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    But why is there two of him? It seems there is an evil and a good one. Or maybe the past one knows he will go bad in the future so for now he's good?

Confusing.
    This is Getting Out of Hand! Now There are Two of Them!
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

You know Didio made a quote recently about “apathy” killing the comic industry. Well Didio and I agree on that, except my “apathy” is not towards the comic industry but towards his vision and direction for the slop that is coming out of DC.

I don’t even really post on the DC forum much anymore because I don’t even care about what’s being discussed. There is nothing interesting about DC these days. The only book I care about and am enjoying from DC is Shazam! Thank you Geoff Johns for that. Being a Wally fan I really don’t even care about what happens to him anymore because they have drug him through the mud so much the past several years.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    You know Didio made a quote recently about “apathy” killing the comic industry. Well Didio and I agree on that, except my “apathy” is not towards the comic industry but towards his vision and direction for the slop that is coming out of DC.

I don’t even really post on the DC forum much anymore because I don’t even care about what’s being discussed. There is nothing interesting about DC these days. The only book I care about and am enjoying from DC is Shazam! Thank you Geoff Johns for that. Being a Wally fan I really don’t even care about what happens to him anymore because they have drug him through the mud so much the past several years.
    I think the biggest problem is that Dan D and the rest seem to think that pissing fans fans off is the cure to apathy. The problem is that emotions spike, and then people just leave.

But then, why shouldn't readers be apathetic? Character progression and character development, by in large, is utterly gone. Writers just spin their wheels until the next crossover, the next big thing. Characters are defined by their most well known story, regardless of how they might have moved on since then. And characters are scuttled to satisfy the writer's desire to write their childhood faves.

Wally is the best example of this, but not the only one (Cassandra Cain, for instance).

Continuity shouldn't be absolute, but it's far more important, IMO, than current writers want to admit. When we read Captain America, we're not reading Chris Evans. When we read Barry Allen, we're not reading about Grant Gustin. Great actors both, but they are not the comic book characters.

Cap, Flash, Cass and every other character are nothing more than 2D, silent and still characters on a page. We need a reason to care emotionally, to suspend disbelief and care about where these characters are going.

Tossing aside characters who earned their fanbase, tossing aside decades of canon, ain't it. Geoff Johns made me a Wally fan, and I'll tell you right now, I ain't apathetic about Wally's fate. I'm super annoyed. And frankly, if I were emotionally smarter, I would have stopped caring at this point.

And why not? DC clearly doesn't care about Wally. Why then, should I?

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

At least it has good art. Kudos to Clay Mann.

RCO004_1553685806.jpg
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    At least it has good art. Kudos to Clay Mann.

RCO004_1553685806.jpg
    It's Civil War II all over again.

Really bad story with character derailing mischaracterization and shock value deaths...but gorgeous art.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    I'm so depressed after reading your theories x)

Can't wait for this thing to end (And DoomClock), so I can move on.

Huge thanks to Marvel for publishing good titles while we have to endure this.

I'm pretty sure Wally is not the killer but it's still depressing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Really bad story with character derailing mischaracterization and shock value deaths...but gorgeous art.
    Though, isn't that true of Civil War, as well?
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

At least Tony Stark wasnt totally character derailed by CW2, He was Comatose but intact characterwise

You forgot to add how controversial Both are too
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Astonishing Member

If the solution is truly that Wally West, the most afraid of Time Travel person in the world, is trying to constantly use time travel to undo a bad thing ala Barry Allen then King would've gone full blown disregard of Wally.

One of the most fundamental differences between Barry and Wally is Barry views time travel as a tool and is freely willing and frequently involved in time travel. Wally has never time traveled unless he was battling another time traveler and was literally forced to short of the end of the world happening (Anti Monitor winning in Chain Lightning, Zolomon literally grabbing him and forcing him to time travel with Eobard's help). Wally is deathly afraid of changing history because of reckless time travel antics.

Extraordinary Member

reason to love wally west

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post

That's why I have that quote in my signature.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics