Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fury (Hippolyta "Lyta" Trevor, later Lyta Trevor Hall) Appreciation (2019)

from
    Who's Who -- The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. VIII (October 1985):

When she was first introduced (back in Wonder Woman #300, cover-dated February 1983), Hippolyta "Lyta" Trevor was the daughter of the Golden Age Wonder Woman and the Golden Age Steve Trevor of Earth-2.

She would then go on to take the name Fury and become one of the founding members of Infinity Inc.

But then came Crisis on Infinite Earths, which resulted in the loss of Earth-2 and all the other alternate Earths in the Multiverse. When the various Earths were merged into a single Earth, DC decided to eliminate some characters that were duplicates on other Earths, including Golden Age Wonder Woman and Golden Age Steve Trevor. However, they didn't eliminate their daughter Lyta Trevor.

from
    Who's Who Update '87 Vol. 2 (September 1987)

Instead, Lyta became the birth-daughter of a newly created "Golden Age" Fury (Helena Kosmatos) and was adopted and raised by a family with the last name "Trevor". Further revisions turned that adoptive family into the Golden Age Miss America (Joan Dale) who married a man named Admiral Derek Trevor.

One of the characters I was most interested in when I started reading comics and came across Lyta in Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Sadly, we didn't get too much time spent between her and her mother to explore their relationship together. Which would have been nice, because there are not as many mother-daughter relationships and legacies explored in comics.

I was particularly annoyed when Johns offed her and Hector so quickly in the pages of JSA, when she had just been returned to us. I was all ready for a Fate & Fury, following the super exploits of a married couple and their magic and might combo. A missed opportunity, but Wonder characters always seem to suffer erasure or boneheaded revamps.

Curiously, I was always a fan of both Fury characters.

Neither Fury had really good power displays, character usage nor stories really their own. Both of these ladies were also badly in need of a new, unique and great costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Curiously, I was always a fan of both Fury characters.
    You mean Lyta and her retonned birth mother?

I was too young for Infinity Inc. but own WW #300 and the idea of her always fascinated me. So much so I bought Earth 2 solely because a new version of her would be appearing in it and had her best design. They never should have changed it, it was awesome!

WW FURY EARTH2_8_16.jpg

But this is about Lyta Trevor-Hall and all I know of her came from the Helena Kosmatos version that appeared in Phil Jimenez's Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    You mean Lyta and her retonned birth mother?

Yes, that is the one!

Thanks for putting up her profile!
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 01-27-2019 at 01:51 PM.

WW Fury Engaged.jpg

I wonder how she came across her costume? It's so different from her mother's yet evocative of it but more regal, like something Queen Hippolyta would wear to fight crime.

The Lyta Trevor angle would have been an interesting way to go. Either natural birth or clay baby like her mother, she would have been an interesting addition to the DC mythos. Especially with characters like Damian Wayne and Jon Kent out there...

Come on Weisman! You need 1 more super baby to add to the bunch!

i mostly know her from the pages of Sandman. Not a really good showing, it must be said.

My introduction to her was Sandman, so seeing her in the DCU is always strange. After Sandman I don't think I saw her again until Johns' JSA and I recall needing to Google her to make sure I wasn't going crazy and that she was in fact the same character.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    i mostly know her from the pages of Sandman. Not a really good showing, it must be said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    My introduction to her was Sandman, so seeing her in the DCU is always strange. After Sandman I don't think I saw her again until Johns' JSA and I recall needing to Google her to make sure I wasn't going crazy and that she was in fact the same character.
    Unfortunately, once again DC in general doesn't seem to have much love / respect for many of the Golden Age and related characters (especially when Roy Thomas was involved).
    Quite a few years back, DC started putting the original Infinity Inc. story in a collected volume and solicited a second one, but that never came out.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    . . . Lyta became the birth-daughter of a newly created "Golden Age" Fury (Helena Kosmatos) and was adopted and raised by a family with the last name "Trevor". Further revisions turned that adoptive family into the Golden Age Miss America (Joan Dale) who married a man named Admiral Derek Trevor.
    Well, since I posted the "Who's Who" entry for "Golden Age" Fury (Helena Kosmatos) in this thread, I guess I should also post the entry for Lyta's post-CoIE adoptive mother (though I don't know if that was later changed again or not):

from Who's Who Update '88 Vol. 2 (September 1988)

Did they replace Fury with Power Girl? I am looking at that cover and I don't see Fury.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Did they replace Fury with Power Girl? I am looking at that cover and I don't see Fury.
    No, they didn't "replace" Fury with Power Girl.

Power Girl and Huntress were included in the original ideas for this group (and did appear in the "Generations Saga") since they were also offspring or Legacy-counterparts to original JSA members.

One of those issues where they tried to straighten out Lyta's backstory in a post-Crisis on Infinite Earths continuity . . .