Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why DC keep introducing lanterns?

I like the green lantern concept very much.So,why dc keep introducing new green lanterns for earth sector?What's with teen lantern in Bendis young justice?
    Last edited by AHRNIHAL; 02-23-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Spectacular Member

From an outsiders perspective I guess they feel that it's a job so there's reasons for there to be new hires. It's not like the Superman, Batman, and Flash franchises where all the holders of the main titles and offshoot titles are either related or have some degree of personal connection with each other. There are a lot of Earth lanterns but in story there probably are a lot of other lantern for the aliens too.

I wonder if they are still planing to release the upcoming book with teen Asian American Green Lantern Tai in it?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...heroes-n866636

Because Lantern is a group concept,Yes in a way it waters down the concept and individual lanterns don't get enough focus but fandom needs to understand that not every lantern(human) is important. In concept like this you have to create a extra special version so the concept can stand out again. Nova corps you have the Black Helmets/Supernovas, Green Lantern they had Ion for awhile. And it makes sense in real world for Police you have Swat in the Military you have special forces like the Navy Seals.Just create a elite group with in a elite group

Green Lanterns have a power set that is very dependent on the ring's user. Hal, John, Guy, the artist kid, the Professor, and Mary Ann all have marked different personalities and if written well will use their particular personalities in how they use their abilities. I'd expect Kyle to be more artistic, John to use his architectural talent in their ring constriucts. It's like an ensemble cop show. each cop has a badge and a gun, but each cop has a different attitude, strengths and weaknesses.

Of course, that "why does Earth have 45 Lanterns?" question can be frustrating.

Extraordinary Member

But id they really introduce teen Asian American Green Lantern (and if that's is not an elseworld story), that would be the 4th Lantern hey introduced since Flashpoint, that seems a little much. Especially since they had already problems to find books for all the Lanterns they already had.
    Last edited by Aahz; 02-24-2019 at 02:22 AM.

From a story perspective, it makes sense to have different representatives of the mantle. From a PR perspective it's about diversity, which fits the concept perfectly. They use the GLC concept to say their Earth Lanterns represent a variety of demographics. They can't really do that with Batman or Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    From a story perspective, it makes sense to have different representatives of the mantle. From a PR perspective it's about diversity, which fits the concept perfectly. They use the GLC concept to say their Earth Lanterns represent a variety of demographics. They can't really do that with Batman or Superman.
    Eh, you could argue that with the whole Batman Inc. thing. You know, if they had continued and built on that concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, you could argue that with the whole Batman Inc. thing. You know, if they had continued and built on that concept.
    No, Batman Inc isn't comparable to the Green Lantern Corps in this regard.

The idea behind Batman is one guy's vision and his reaction to the murder of his parents. No matter how you do it, Batman Inc will be the vision and extension of that rich white heterosexual dude. The idea behind the Green Lantern is an earthman who gets inducted into a cosmic paramilitary police force.

Characters like Batgirl, Nightwing, Batwoman, and so on depend on Batman for their construction. But Guy Gardner, Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz, or everyone else are characters who are wholly independent of Alan Scott or Hal Jordan. The same logic partly also applies to the various DC speedsters, once the speed force mythology had been developed.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    It is just strange since afaik since the Lantern corps has usually not several members of the same species in their ranks, so 6 earth Lanters seems little odd.

I'm also sceptical if the Lantern Franchise is actually big enough for so many characters, at the moment they only manage to give most of them regular appearances by putting them in team books, and with Guy and Simon there are still two Lanters in Limbo at the moment. Kyle will join them soon since Titans is already cancelled, and Justice League Odysse will probaly also not run that long.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I don't mind seeing new Lanterns - they're a UNIVERSAL police force. There's gonna be some weird ass aliens to enjoy!
    That said, we have WAY too many Earth based Lanterns.
    Hal
    John
    Guy
    Kyle
    Simon
    Jessica.
    That's a tough thing to try & explain storywise when it's cast in stone there can be only one species from each sector!
    I know they worked it with Honour Guard status, but still. Four was too many. Six is ridiculous!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    It is just strange since afaik since the Lantern corps has usually not several members of the same species in their ranks, so 6 earth Lanters seems little odd.

I'm also sceptical if the Lantern Franchise is actually big enough for so many characters, at the moment they only manage to give most of them regular appearances by putting them in team books, and with Guy and Simon there are still two Lanters in Limbo at the moment. Kyle will join them soon since Titans is already cancelled, and Justice League Odysse will probaly also not run that long.
    Yeah, I think that's the one problem with having so many Earth Lanterns. The franchise isn't really able to sustain them and it feels like it's kind of being watered down and dividing the fanbase even further. Dan Jurgens was recently quoted in an interview that in his perspective all the other Earth Lanterns were franchise outlets, while Hal was a solo operator. So if that indicates anything about DC's mindset towards the franchise, it seems like having too many Lanterns isn't much of a problem to them as long as they find somewhere to put them in while giving one of them the solo title. And whoever is left in limbo I guess happens to be a casualty of DC wanting to have their cake and eat it too.

Retired

I think it was a bad idea to go so hard on the Green Lantern Corps idea to the detriment of individual Green Lanterns. One of the cool things about the concept is that some lone individual on a planet gets gifted with a ring and then he or she has to figure it out from there. They're pretty much on their own and struggling with the responsibility and the challenge of being that sector's lone protector.

It might be more sensible to have a police force, but it's not as interesting from a dramatic perspective. And I don't really want the GLC to be a military force or a SWAT team.

What I don't understand is why the focus on Earth. There are lots of other planets out there in the DCU, where there could be a new character who gets a ring and has to take care of that sector. And setting stories on other planets opens up lots of other possibilities--there's a new world to explore, unique challenges. It seems to me that gives the writer and artist a lot more creative freedom.

However, DC must think people want stories anchored on Earth. That's why Hal was grounded in the early 1970s (and other times since then). That's why they went with Kyle Rayner, who was mainly on Earth for most of his run in GREEN LANTERN. And that's why so many other Green Lanterns are from Earth. Is there some market research that has convinced DC only comics about Earth will sell?

Yet many of the most successful stories happened on other planets. And even if a new recruit is from Earth--like Charlie Vicker--he can be assigned to another sector.

BANNED

at this point we have,Hal,Guy,John,Kyle,Baz,Jessica,Teen Lantern.
    Hopefully well have two lanterns per book if it was up to me itll be:

Hal and Kyle(Green Lantern,Space)
    Guy and Jessica(CORPS)
    John and Baz(Earth)

also I will put hal and john(the two biggest lanterns)in JLA,kyle in titans,Baz in JLD and add Guy with Jessica in JLO

teen lantern can be in young justice or teen titans books

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I hate having more than one human GL. I want all the wild alien GLs! Morrison is doing a great job of this. Non-humaniod GLs from far off worlds, and the lone human amongst them. Floozle Flem all the way, man.

Hal Jordan is best for this. I wouldn't mind keeping Jessica Cruz around though. I like her a lot and she can occupy a different space/have a slightly different way of obtaining a ring.