Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    I am sure that by now you know that a Shang Chi film ( Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings ) has already been announced by Kevin Feige, and its lead character has already been cast (Chinese Canadian actor Simu Liu). I, like you, am surprised that nothing has been said about Vixen or Monica (or any other black woman in comics) as a potential solo movie star. It is not just that I find her backstory and powerset interesting and cinematic, but I believe that she is one of those characters that could have an added incentive for audiences to celebrate as "the first deaf superhero" and "the first Native American superhero" to star in her own blockbuster. Just like Cyborg could be an inspiration for kids who have prosthetic limbs.

Also, a question for Vixen historians: what is her national background? Is she African? I know she is not African American, and I have read that she was born in an African village. The name McCabe doesn't exactly scream African to me (I remember an old Spider-Woman character called Lindsey McCabe who was, unsurprisingly, an Irish American redhead). I don't see anything on wikipedia about Mari's parents being an interracial couple. I am just curious...
    Like so many blacks at DC-they really never get into her background.

Another character that I think has incredible potential as a solo movie star is Marvel's Echo, who is not just of Hispanic and Indigenous American heritage, but happens to be deaf.
    Well it would not hurt to try because we have had a tv series with a deaf female lead-she was not a super hero but a real life member of the FBI. Sue Thomas.

[QUOTE=FutureWonder;4658463]I am sure that by now you know that a Shang Chi film ( Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings ) has already been announced by Kevin Feige, and its lead character has already been cast (Chinese Canadian actor Simu Liu). I, like you, am surprised that nothing has been said about Vixen or Monica (or any other black woman in comics) as a potential solo movie star. Another character that I think has incredible potential as a solo movie star is Marvel's Echo, who is not just of Hispanic and Indigenous American heritage, but happens to be deaf. It is not just that I find her backstory and powerset interesting and cinematic, but I believe that she is one of those characters that could have an added incentive for audiences to celebrate as "the first deaf superhero" and "the first Native American superhero" to star in her own blockbuster. Just like Cyborg could be an inspiration for kids who have prosthetic limbs.

Also, a question for Vixen historians: what is her national background? Is she African? I know she is not African American, and I have read that she was born in an African village. The name McCabe doesn't exactly scream African to me (I remember an old Spider-Woman character called Lindsey McCabe who was, unsurprisingly, an Irish American redhead). I don't see anything on wikipedia about Mari's parents being an interracial couple. I am just curious...[/QUOTE

Yeah, Vixen is African, since she was born in Zambezi, Africa. As for the last name "McCabe", from what I've read online, Mari adopted that last name for some reason after her parents were killed in Zambesi and she fled to America.

However, in her CW Seed animated Web series, after her parents were killed in Zambesi, she came to America and was adopted by a Caucasian couple, and I'm assuming their last name was McCabe (I don't recall that animated series saying what her foster father's last name was).
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 10-29-2019 at 07:29 PM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Cyborgs orgins include gang violence
    He hates himself and how he looks
    Tends o be jobbed, smacked around ripped apart due to his expendability since he can be put back together, he is not a very human character

he is not a good rep for anyone
    I respectfully disagree.
    I thoroughly believe that a Cyborg movie could be precisely about exploring what makes us human. And in fact, just like many people who happen to have disabilities and physical challenges have been documented to feel less than human sometimes, Victor Stone doubts his own "humanness" in the face of what he believes makes him lesser.
    I can totally see a Cyborg film having an emotionally potent character arc through which Victor Stone rediscovers his own self-worth and fully sees that what makes him human has nothing to do with his body, but with his inner strength, his courage, and, for lack of a less cheesy word, his spirit.
    This could be a triumph-of-the-human spirit parable disguised as a superhero film starring a black superhero who has nothing to do with animals, African deities, or ancient myths.
    And again, I feel that this could most definitely touch millions of kids who have disabilities, prosthetic limbs, or physical challenges that may make them feel inadequate.

Anyway, it is a moot point, since the proposed/announced Cyborg film is probably never happening how the DCEU spectacularly effed up the Justice League.

Topic: Thanks, everyone, for the info about Vixen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Cyborgs orgins include gang violence
    No it does not.

Ultimate Member

I thoroughly believe that a Cyborg movie could be precisely about exploring what makes us human. And in fact, just like many people who happen to have disabilities and physical challenges have been documented to feel less than human sometimes, Victor Stone doubts his own "humanness" in the face of what he believes makes him lesser.
    [tangent] The arc of a man resenting the mechanical parts of himself, but learning to overcome that, such as in the I, Robot movie with Will Smith, could indeed do a lot for the concept. Well told, Vic Stone's origin story could be some visceral body horror, to start, and not the usual sort of power fantasy that some superhero origins enjoy. [/tangent]

But yeah, for a standalone Vixen movie, there would have to be more in-depth stuff about her backstory than we've ever seen in the comics. That's both a minus (less familiar stuff to adapt) and yet also a plus (you can't 'get it wrong' if it's not there to be contradicted!). The CW Seed animated Vixen included the idea of another 4 elemental-themed totems from Zambesi (and they later used them in the Legends of Tomorrow, mainly the water and air totems), so there's one direction they could take.

Another would be to tie the Tantu totem to the objects of power that Nommo / Dr. Mist has supposedly created over the last couple thousand years and left around for champions to use (presumably at least some of them in Africa!).

[QUOTE=MoneySpider;4658657]
    I am sure that by now you know that a Shang Chi film ( Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings ) has already been announced by Kevin Feige, and its lead character has already been cast (Chinese Canadian actor Simu Liu). I, like you, am surprised that nothing has been said about Vixen or Monica (or any other black woman in comics) as a potential solo movie star. Another character that I think has incredible potential as a solo movie star is Marvel's Echo, who is not just of Hispanic and Indigenous American heritage, but happens to be deaf. It is not just that I find her backstory and powerset interesting and cinematic, but I believe that she is one of those characters that could have an added incentive for audiences to celebrate as "the first deaf superhero" and "the first Native American superhero" to star in her own blockbuster. Just like Cyborg could be an inspiration for kids who have prosthetic limbs.

Also, a question for Vixen historians: what is her national background? Is she African? I know she is not African American, and I have read that she was born in an African village. The name McCabe doesn't exactly scream African to me (I remember an old Spider-Woman character called Lindsey McCabe who was, unsurprisingly, an Irish American redhead). I don't see anything on wikipedia about Mari's parents being an interracial couple. I am just curious...[/QUOTE

Yeah, Vixen is African, since she was born in Zambezi, Africa. As for the last name "McCabe", from what I've read online, Mari adopted that last name for some reason after her parents were killed in Zambesi and she fled to America.

However, in her CW Seed animated Web series, after her parents were killed in Zambesi, she came to America and was adopted by a Caucasian couple, and I'm assuming their last name was McCabe (I don't recall that animated series saying what her foster father's last name was).
    Her last name is Jiwe and from what I remember from her JLoA origin her father was the one who had the totem...not her mother.

Her original story...
    RCO023.jpg
    RCO024.jpg
    RCO025.jpg
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Incredible Member

[QUOTE=LordAllMIghty;4660641]
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post

Her last name is Jiwe and from what I remember from her JLoA origin her father was the one who had the totem...not her mother.

Her original story...
    RCO023.jpg
    RCO024.jpg
    RCO025.jpg
    That's actually pretty cool to see the league talk about Mari, but also pretty brutal with her past.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I feel vixen needs an interesting hook. Right now she’s just an interesting character with a versatile power set.
    What type of interesting hook do you have in mind?

For me, Vixen's hooks are that she is:

1. A billionaire

2. A businesswoman

3. A supermodel/fashion model

4. A superheroine

5. An Animal Master

6. A philanthropist

7. A genius (if she mimics the genius-level intellect of certain humans, which are also animals. The magic of her powers might make this possible).

Plus she comes from a fictional African country, which they could turn into an interesting location on DC Earth instead of having it be some war-torn country or whatever negative stereotype they had it being in the past. Zambesi could be an African country known for magic, or something, like Wakanda on Marvel Earth is known for being technologically advanced.

And that's just for starters. DC Entertainment has given ongoing solo books to other characters with far less hooks, in my opinion.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 11-03-2019 at 03:52 PM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Incredible Member

RCO010.jpg
    A nice scene in JLA Rebirth that sadly didn't go anywhere, much like this whole comic did with Mari.

I think she has enough hooks but i can't describe her personality so id start there.

Who is Mari McCabe as an individual?

1. A billionaire

2. A businesswoman

4. A superheroine

5. An Animal Master

6. A philanthropist

7. A genius (if she mimics the genius-level intellect of certain humans, which are also animals. The magic of her powers might make this possible).

Plus she comes from a fictional African country, which they could turn into an interesting location on DC Earth instead of having it be some war-torn country or whatever negative stereotype they had it being in the past. Zambesi could be an African country known for magic, or something, like Wakanda on Marvel Earth is known for being technologically advanced.

And that's just for starters. DC Entertainment has given ongoing solo books to other characters with far less hooks, in my opinion.
    Having Zambesi being a magic based version of Wakanda in the DCU would be amazing. Certainly beats all those tired ass stereotypes we’ve seen about Africa in the past.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Having Zambesi being a magic based version of Wakanda in the DCU would be amazing. Certainly beats all those tired ass stereotypes we’ve seen about Africa in the past.
    That be interesting, but I sometimes feel like the average comic book readers (at least the American ones) don't care about superheroes that are based outside of America. I know that's not true at all, but didn't Batwings comic die because of the unfamiliarity of the setting?

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    RCO010.jpg
    A nice scene in JLA Rebirth that sadly didn't go anywhere, much like this whole comic did with Mari.
    In a way it did. We learned that she can connet with humans (not just animals) and has a version of telepathy through the "Red".

1. A billionaire

2. A businesswoman

4. A superheroine

5. An Animal Master

6. A philanthropist

I like the idea of Zambesi being a magical land. You could probably throw Doctor Mist in there some how. Maybe have its destruction more mystical then dealing with war.

Shoot. Now I have this idea that Doctor Mist is Mari's real father and her mother was killed by Faust. Faust tricked the queen into giving him the 5 Stones of Creation (Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Life). Faust then used the magical powers of the city to summon a demon but Mist fought him which led to the destruction of the city. Mist used the last of his power to erase the memories of the surviving villagers and sent them out with the 5 Stones of Creation. Mari his daugther is unaware that she Princess and being hunted by Faust.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I think she has enough hooks but i can't describe her personality so id start there.

Who is Mari McCabe as an individual?
    I actually enjoyed her original personality. She was a tough female who was somewhat sexual and forward with men she liked. She also had a caring side which led to a date with Bruce Wyane/Batman.
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 11-04-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    In a way it did. We learned that she can connet with humans (not just animals) and has a version of telepathy through the "Red".

I like the idea of Zambesi being a magical land. You could probably throw Doctor Mist in there some how. Maybe have its destruction more mystical then dealing with war.

Shoot. Now I have this idea that Doctor Mist is Mari's real father and her mother was killed by Faust. Faust tricked the queen into giving him the 5 Stones of Creation (Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Life). Faust then used the magical powers of the city to summon a demon but Mist fought him which led to the destruction of the city. Mist used the last of his power to erase the memories of the surviving villagers and sent them out with the 5 Stones of Creation. Mari his daugther is unaware that she Princess and being hunted by Faust.

I actually enjoyed her original personality. She was a tough female who was somewhat sexual and forward with men she liked. She also had a caring side which led to a date with Bruce Wyane/Batman.
    Sounds like an interesting Elseworld but I don't know How that would do in main continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    Sounds like an interesting Elseworld but I don't know How that would do in main continuity.
    It's magic. Anyone who's ever debated on Vs board knows ...when it comes to magic. You don't have to explain that much...lol