Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast

If DC Entertainment positions Vixen right, she could be their version of Black Panther/Spider-Man/Wolverine all rolled into one. Sort of, maybe...
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Incredible Member

I would like that to happen but sadly she's been MIA. I still wish that thr league would expand on there members JLU style.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    If DC Entertainment positions Vixen right, she could be their version of Black Panther/Spider-Man/Wolverine all rolled into one. Sort of, maybe...
    Especially if they retcon Zambesi to be a monarchy, and Vixen is one of the long lost members of the royal family and now she has to return home to take her rightful place as-

Nah that’s too lion king ish. But it would be cool to have a black person in that powerful of a position in the DCU.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    I would like that to happen but sadly she's been MIA. I still wish that thr league would expand on there members JLU style.
    Yeah, I'm mostly interested in later era League members ranging from Black Canary to Vixen, Booster Gold and Black Lightning, so I'd love if the team got expanded beyond the core seven and we could see some fresher faces.

Vixen is just so versatile. Need a flier? She can do that. Need someone really strong? She can do that. Need someone with aquatic capabilities? Got ya covered. Between electric eels and various venomous critters and bombardier beetles and spider's webbing, etc. she's even got a ton of unusual combat options, beyond just clawing at folk or hitting really hard.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 10-28-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, I'm mostly interested in later era League members ranging from Black Canary to Vixen, Booster Gold and Black Lightning, so I'd love if the team got expanded beyond the core seven and we could see some fresher faces.

Vixen is just so versatile. Need a flier? She can do that. Need someone really strong? She can do that. Need someone with aquatic capabilities? Got ya covered. Between electric eels and various venomous critters and bombardier beetles and spider's webbing, etc. she's even got a ton of unusual combat options, beyond just clawing at folk or hitting really hard.
    I always pictured her channeling the powers of a bombardier beetle looking like the way Bakugo fights in MHA.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

So Vixen hasn't shown up in anything recently? Has she shown up in anything after Justice League of America?

I don't remember seeing her in anything recently. Maybe she had a cameo appearance in a group shot in a recent JL issue but I'm not quite certain. Sad to see Mari being wasted like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I don't remember seeing her in anything recently. Maybe she had a cameo appearance in a group shot in a recent JL issue but I'm not quite certain. Sad to see Mari being wasted like that.
    Yeah, she had a cameo in Justice League #30.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

I feel that the fact that Vixen has appeared in several cartoons (Super Hero Girls, The Brave and the Bold, her own cartoon shorts) and live-action shows has helped raise awareness of the character beyond hard-core comic book geek circles. What I don't understand is why DC has not taken advantage of her potential. She could very well be the first black superheroine to lead a blockbuster solo film (if DC played their cards right), but since we all know how embattled (and seemingly aimless) the DCEU has been for the longest time, I am not holding my breath for that to happen. It's just a shame that such a cool character with such a cinematic powerset (and so much potential) is wasted. Especially after the undeniable success of Wonder Woman and Black Panther, you'd think that DC would naturally jump at the chance of creating a superhero blockbuster for a black woman. It is obvious that audiences are willing to pay to see big-budget superhero spectacle starring women and people of color (not that I ever doubted it, but Hollywood conventional wisdom is anything but wise).

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I feel vixen needs an interesting hook. Right now she’s just an interesting character with a versatile power set.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    Especially after the undeniable success of Wonder Woman and Black Panther, you'd think that DC would naturally jump at the chance of creating a superhero blockbuster for a black woman. It is obvious that audiences are willing to pay to see big-budget superhero spectacle starring women and people of color (not that I ever doubted it, but Hollywood conventional wisdom is anything but wise).
    Agreed. Particularly on the heels of Wonder Woman and Black Panther, I'd expect both Marvel *and* DC to be looking over other diverse characters with similar breakout potential, such as a 'first' black female hero, or a first Latino/Latina hero(ine), or a first Asian-led hero film.

And Vixen should be at the top of this list, since she's, IMO, DC's most recognizable black superheroine.

I'm similarly surprised that someone at Marvel isn't seriously looking at vehicles involving Monica Rambeau, White Tiger, one or more of the new Agents of Atlas, like Shang-Chi and / or Aero, etc. in a rush to get some of that Wonder Woman/Black Panther level success with a 'first X hero' film.

Agreed. Particularly on the heels of Wonder Woman and Black Panther, I'd expect both Marvel *and* DC to be looking over other diverse characters with similar breakout potential, such as a 'first' black female hero, or a first Latino/Latina hero(ine), or a first Asian-led hero film.

And Vixen should be at the top of this list, since she's, IMO, DC's most recognizable black superheroine.

I'm similarly surprised that someone at Marvel isn't seriously looking at vehicles involving Monica Rambeau, White Tiger, one or more of the new Agents of Atlas, like Shang-Chi and / or Aero, etc. in a rush to get some of that Wonder Woman/Black Panther level success with a 'first X hero' film.
    Well Black Lightning's got a show, Stargirl has one in the works, the Birds of Prey are getting a movie and on Marvel's side we have a Shang Chi movie.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I feel vixen needs an interesting hook. Right now she’s just an interesting character with a versatile power set.
    There have been some interesting ideas in this thread.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

I am sure that by now you know that a Shang Chi film ( Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings ) has already been announced by Kevin Feige, and its lead character has already been cast (Chinese Canadian actor Simu Liu). I, like you, am surprised that nothing has been said about Vixen or Monica (or any other black woman in comics) as a potential solo movie star. Another character that I think has incredible potential as a solo movie star is Marvel's Echo, who is not just of Hispanic and Indigenous American heritage, but happens to be deaf. It is not just that I find her backstory and powerset interesting and cinematic, but I believe that she is one of those characters that could have an added incentive for audiences to celebrate as "the first deaf superhero" and "the first Native American superhero" to star in her own blockbuster. Just like Cyborg could be an inspiration for kids who have prosthetic limbs.

Also, a question for Vixen historians: what is her national background? Is she African? I know she is not African American, and I have read that she was born in an African village. The name McCabe doesn't exactly scream African to me (I remember an old Spider-Woman character called Lindsey McCabe who was, unsurprisingly, an Irish American redhead). I don't see anything on wikipedia about Mari's parents being an interracial couple. I am just curious...
    Last edited by FutureWonder; 10-29-2019 at 05:47 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    I am sure that by now you know that a Shang Chi film ( Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings ) has already been announced by Kevin Feige, and its lead character has already been cast (Chinese Canadian actor Simu Liu). I, like you, am surprised that nothing has been said about Vixen or Monica (or any other black woman in comics) as a potential solo movie star. Another character that I think has incredible potential as a solo movie star is Marvel's Echo, who is not just of Hispanic and Indigenous American heritage, but happens to be deaf. It is not just that I find her backstory and powerset interesting and cinematic, but I believe that she is one of those characters that could have an added incentive for audiences to celebrate as "the first deaf superhero" and "the first Native American superhero" to star in her own blockbuster. Just like Cyborg could be an inspiration for kids who have prosthetic limbs.

Also, a question for Vixen historians: what is her national background? Is she African? I know she is not African American, and I have read that she was born in an African village. The name McCabe doesn't exactly scream African to me (I remember an old Spider-Woman character called Lindsey McCabe who was, unsurprisingly, an Irish American redhead). I don't see anything on wikipedia about Mari's parents being an interracial couple. I am just curious...

Cyborgs orgins include gang violence
    He hates himself and how he looks
    Tends o be jobbed, smacked around ripped apart due to his expendability since he can be put back together, he is not a very human character

he is not a good rep for anyone