Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 294
  1. #46
    Dorky Person Charmed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Do you all think Vixen looks like Rihanna or Jada Pinkett Smith in this illustration?

    I saw on Deviant Art where some people were saying she looks like Rihanna and others were saying she looks like Jada. To me, Vixen in this picture doesn't look like either one of them. I also don't think Rihanna and Jada look alike at all.

    She's giving me a bit of Rihanna. The eyes, eye color and eyebrow shape are a dead ringer for me.
    I don't see how they think she looks like Jada, though.

    "You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

    "Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

    "You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

  2. #47
    Mighty Member MoneySpider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,141

    Default

    Vixen really should have her own solo ongoing book. With all of that different "force" stuff they have going on in Flash's book these days, they can easily adapt the different totems story line they had in Vixen's webseries. Plus they have the different "rings" from the Green Lantern mythos from a few years back, so I don't see why they can't create this type of mythos for Vixen and have her deal with different totem wearers in her own solo comic book.

    Spirit/Tantu totem: Vixen

    Water totem: Kuasa

    Fire totem: Eshu

    Earth totem: ?

    Air totem: ?

    Death totem: ?

    Speaking of totems, I saw this online: https://www.etsy.com/listing/5991551...SABEgLtnvD_BwE

  3. #48
    Astonishing Member El_Gato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,736

    Default

    So take this with a grain of salt, but according to Grace, WB really wants a Black female led superhero film. Vixen has apparently been discussed, but some of "head honchos" are concerned it'll be too similar to Black Panther. Apparently the race swapped Black Canary is also a choice for a solo led film...

    I really hope they go with Vixen, an actual Black character, and not Black Canary, but that's just me.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

  4. #49
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    514

    Default

    It should always be Vixen. Her push and film should’ve been greenlit yesterday as it would be the single smartest thing for DC to capitalize on and get an enormous headstart for representation that Marvel likely won’t get to for years.

    So i’m sure it won’t be because DC is dumb.
    Last edited by Muffin Crud; 02-09-2019 at 07:13 PM.

  5. #50
    Mighty Member MoneySpider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,141

    Default

    The head honchos better hope Black Canary and the rest of the Birds of Prey cast can make a successful movie for them, because if that movie bombs... And Vixen and Black Panther do have a few similarities (both are African characters with their respective African countries, both have that generational aspect where they inherited something from their ancestors, both are associated with gods), but there are enough differences between the two characters for a Vixen movie to NOT be like the Black Panther movie.

    For one thing, as far as I know, Vixen rarely goes to Zambesi. The last time I remember her being there was in her mini-series. Also in her animated movie, she was only in Zambesi for a little while. She does not live in Zambesi like Black Panther lives in Wakanda, so a potential Vixen movie would most likely show her exclusively in America. Her animated movie alone was nothing like the Black Panther movie.

    Another thing is, the power sets are completely different, as are how they operate as individuals. Vixen is a crimefighter, a business woman, a supermodel, a billionaire, a philanthropist, an animal rights activist...there are several different stories they can tell with all of that. She is not a queen claiming her throne in Zambesi. She also would not have the same kind of supporting cast behind her as Black Panther had in his film. In her movie she could be shown dealing with street-level crime and/or dealing with a Justice League-level threat all by herself because she is THAT powerful.

    And if not Vixen, then who? I agree with El Gato with the whole "not Black Canary" thing. Why race swap a white character into a bi-racial character and then try to have her as the first black female character to have her own film when you've already got an African character that you didn't have to race swap? So who does that leave if not Vixen? Bumblebee? Skyrocket? Tanya Spears (Powergirl)? Rocket? Naomi?

    With everything they've done with Vixen in the past few years (web series, an appearance on "Arrow", a cast member on "Legends of Tomorrow", playable character in several video games), the next logical leap would be to the big screen.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 02-09-2019 at 09:14 PM.

  6. #51
    Mighty Member MoneySpider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Jada looking good.
    I remember a few years ago, Jada said she would love to play Vixen in a movie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    She's giving me a bit of Rihanna. The eyes, eye color and eyebrow shape are a dead ringer for me.
    I don't see how they think she looks like Jada, though.
    One person said this version of Vixen reminded him of a young Sanaa Lathan...

  7. #52
    Astonishing Member El_Gato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    The head honchos better hope Black Canary and the rest of the Birds of Prey cast can make a successful movie for them, because if that movie bombs... And Vixen and Black Panther do have a few similarities (both are African characters with their respective African countries, both have that generational aspect where they inherited something from their ancestors, both are associated with gods), but there are enough differences between the two characters for a Vixen movie to NOT be like the Black Panther movie.

    For one thing, as far as I know, Vixen rarely goes to Zambesi. The last time I remember her being there was in her mini-series. Also in her animated movie, she was only in Zambesi for a little while. She does not live in Zambesi like Black Panther lives in Wakanda, so a potential Vixen movie would most likely show her exclusively in America. Her animated movie alone was nothing like the Black Panther movie.

    Another thing is, the power sets are completely different, as are how they operate as individuals. Vixen is a crimefighter, a business woman, a supermodel, a billionaire, a philanthropist, an animal rights activist...there are several different stories they can tell with all of that. She is not a queen claiming her throne in Zambesi. She also would not have the same kind of supporting cast behind her as Black Panther had in his film. In her movie she could be shown dealing with street-level crime and/or dealing with a Justice League-level threat all by herself because she is THAT powerful.

    And if not Vixen, then who? I agree with El Gato with the whole "not Black Canary" thing. Why race swap a white character into a bi-racial character and then try to have her as the first black female character to have her own film when you've already got an African character that you didn't have to race swap? So who does that leave if not Vixen? Bumblebee? Skyrocket? Tanya Spears (Powergirl)? Rocket? Naomi?

    With everything they've done with Vixen in the past few years (web series, an appearance on "Arrow", a cast member on "Legends of Tomorrow", playable character in several video games), the next logical leap would be to the big screen.
    Vixen
    Bumblebee
    Amanda Waller
    Rocket
    Voodoo
    Darla Dudley
    Thunder & Lightning
    Steel II
    Power Girl
    Fatality
    Onyx
    Sky-Rocket
    Empress
    Naomi

    Those are all the Black female characters I can think of off the top of my head. Of that list, I don't think WB will be up for giving Naomi, Empress, Skyrocket, or Onyx a solo film due to how obscure they are. I also don't see Steel II, Fatality or Power Girl getting a shot since they're spin-off characters from franchises that are currently in limbo (Superman and Green Lantern). Thunder and Lightning are busy doing their thing on the CW so they're out and Darla works best as a part of the Shazamily so no need to split her off. Voodoo, despite holding her own comic may also be a bit too obscure for WB, and Rocket being a Milestone property might complicate things. That leaves only 3 options: Vixen, Bumblebee and Amanda Waller.

    Amanda Waller already has the Suicide Squad films as her franchise, so she doesn't need a solo. DC has pushed Bumblebee big time with the TT/YJ animated shows/movies and Superhero Girls but she may be a bit too similar to Ant-Man/Wasp for her to catch on with the GA. Imo, Vixen is the clear choice!
    Last edited by El_Gato; 02-09-2019 at 10:29 PM.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

  8. #53
    Mighty Member MoneySpider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Vixen
    Bumblebee
    Amanda Waller
    Rocket
    Voodoo
    Darla Dudley
    Thunder & Lightning
    Steel II
    Power Girl
    Fatality
    Onyx
    Sky-Rocket
    Empress
    Naomi

    Those are all the Black female characters I can think of off the top of my head. Of that list, I don't think WB will be up for giving Naomi, Empress, Skyrocket, or Onyx a solo film due to how obscure they are. I also don't see Steel II, Fatality or Power Girl getting a shot since they're spin-off characters from franchises that are currently in limbo (Superman and Green Lantern). Thunder and Lightning are busy doing their thing on the CW so they're out and Darla works best as a part of the Shazamily so need to split her off. Voodoo, despite holding her own comic may also be a bit too obscure for WB, and Rocket being a Milestone property might complicate things. That leaves only 3 options: Vixen, Bumblebee and Amanda Waller.

    Amanda Waller already has the Suicide Squad films as her franchise, so she doesn't need a solo. DC has pushed Bumblebee big time with the TT/YJ animated shows/movies and Superhero Girls but she may be a bit too similar to Ant-Man/Wasp for her to catch on with the GA. Imo, Vixen is the clear choice!
    I enjoyed this logical analysis, and I agree that Vixen is the best bet. DC and Warner Bros. are sitting on a gold mine with Vixen and don't even realize it.

  9. #54
    Astonishing Member kurenai24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Essex, MD
    Posts
    2,047

    Default

    That image looks straight up like Rihanna cosplaying Vixen ...I don't know how anyone sees Jada.

    Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    So take this with a grain of salt, but according to Grace, WB really wants a Black female led superhero film. Vixen has apparently been discussed, but some of "head honchos" are concerned it'll be too similar to Black Panther. Apparently the race swapped Black Canary is also a choice for a solo led film...

    I really hope they go with Vixen, an actual Black character, and not Black Canary, but that's just me.
    This would be the second rumor about Vixen as the first rumor came out when the very first rumblings about a blue beetle film was being talked about.

    I am gonna be so pissed if WB actually believes that this racebent black canary is their answer to a black female led movie b/c all that popularity that she could garner is not gonna translate to the comics, and if it did like with Harley Quinn it would only be beneficial to the white version of the character.

    I'm not here for that shit.

    And WB are freaking simpletons if they believe that Mari being born in a fictional african nation and being raised there for a little bit of her childhood and having an african totem makes her too similar to Black Panther.

    Vixen could be be DC's Tony Stark but DC comics and WB are too idiotic to see that, and though WB said no more cinematic universe Vixen being a model celebrity who's also a philanthropist who's also a superhero means she can name drop Bruce Wayne as they run in the same social circles, Clark Kent and Lois Lane as they are journalists who would interview her about her heroics and philanthopy, and Pamela Isley as they would run into each other being enviromentalist ...hell she can even name drop Buddy Baker aka Animal Man since one of the iterations has him as a stunt actor, so much shit can be planted in her movies naturally.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

    ~~

    Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.


    ~~

    Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

  10. #55
    Post Editing OCD Confuzzled's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Swingin' Above Ya
    Posts
    9,492

    Default

    Even if the Zambesi aspects are played up, I don't really see the similarities between Vixen and BP being all that much.

    For one, the Black Panther movie didn't really delve into the African gods all that much except for Bast in the opening and a mention of Hanuman (a Hindu god). Vixen's mythos could be tied heavily into the Yoruba goddesses like how Wonder Woman's origin was originally tied to the Greek Goddesses. Since they've downplayed the goddesses' role in Diana's birth, Mari could have the Yoruba goddesses more involved in the backstory of the totem.

    Also as MoneySpider said, they should capitalize her on being a glam supermodel and activist.

  11. #56
    Astonishing Member El_Gato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    That image looks straight up like Rihanna cosplaying Vixen ...I don't know how anyone sees Jada.



    This would be the second rumor about Vixen as the first rumor came out when the very first rumblings about a blue beetle film was being talked about.

    I am gonna be so pissed if WB actually believes that this racebent black canary is their answer to a black female led movie b/c all that popularity that she could garner is not gonna translate to the comics, and if it did like with Harley Quinn it would only be beneficial to the white version of the character.

    I'm not here for that shit.

    And WB are freaking simpletons if they believe that Mari being born in a fictional african nation and being raised there for a little bit of her childhood and having an african totem makes her too similar to Black Panther.

    Vixen could be be DC's Tony Stark but DC comics and WB are too idiotic to see that, and though WB said no more cinematic universe Vixen being a model celebrity who's also a philanthropist who's also a superhero means she can name drop Bruce Wayne as they run in the same social circles, Clark Kent and Lois Lane as they are journalists who would interview her about her heroics and philanthopy, and Pamela Isley as they would run into each other being enviromentalist ...hell she can even name drop Buddy Baker aka Animal Man since one of the iterations has him as a stunt actor, so much shit can be planted in her movies naturally.
    Well hopefully common sense wins out and they end up going with Vixen. She is clearly on WB's radar. I'm surprised they didn't add her to the new SuperHero Girls show, like they did Jessica. Could have helped her profile rise immensely. Certainly has done wonders for Bumblebee and Katana.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

  12. #57
    Astonishing Member kurenai24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Essex, MD
    Posts
    2,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Well hopefully common sense wins out and they end up going with Vixen. She is clearly on WB's radar. I'm surprised they didn't add her to the new SuperHero Girls show, like they did Jessica. Could have helped her profile rise immensely. Certainly has done wonders for Bumblebee and Katana.
    We're talking about WB they don't have a lot of common sense, they just react to things.

    I definitely was upset they chose Bumblebee over Vixen for the DC Super Hero Girls shorts since Vixen was actually more popular than Bumblebee but for this cartoon network version I think it works really well for Bumblebee since they have her in the black best friend trope to Barbara Gordon who I view as young and even seems so in comparisom to the others in the little trailers.

    I didn't expect Vixen to be added b/c outside of Young Justice DC still keeps to their tokenization ...one black, one asian, one latina, etc
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

    ~~

    Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.


    ~~

    Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

  13. #58
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19,865

    Default

    Actually, I don't think Vixen was more popular than Bumblebee at the time of Super Hero Girls coming out. I know she was known from JLU but Bumblebee had been in the more recent Teen Titans and Young Justice cartoons.

    If they're worried about Zambesi being too much like Wakanda, they can have Mari be from Ghana. It's the country of origin for the mythology Mari uses.

    Also, how trust worthy is Grace Randolph? Hasn't she made mistakes before?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-10-2019 at 12:13 AM.

  14. #59
    Astonishing Member HandofPrometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    That image looks straight up like Rihanna cosplaying Vixen ...I don't know how anyone sees Jada.



    This would be the second rumor about Vixen as the first rumor came out when the very first rumblings about a blue beetle film was being talked about.

    I am gonna be so pissed if WB actually believes that this racebent black canary is their answer to a black female led movie b/c all that popularity that she could garner is not gonna translate to the comics, and if it did like with Harley Quinn it would only be beneficial to the white version of the character.

    I'm not here for that shit.

    And WB are freaking simpletons if they believe that Mari being born in a fictional african nation and being raised there for a little bit of her childhood and having an african totem makes her too similar to Black Panther.

    Vixen could be be DC's Tony Stark but DC comics and WB are too idiotic to see that, and though WB said no more cinematic universe Vixen being a model celebrity who's also a philanthropist who's also a superhero means she can name drop Bruce Wayne as they run in the same social circles, Clark Kent and Lois Lane as they are journalists who would interview her about her heroics and philanthopy, and Pamela Isley as they would run into each other being enviromentalist ...hell she can even name drop Buddy Baker aka Animal Man since one of the iterations has him as a stunt actor, so much shit can be planted in her movies naturally.
    Which is exactly why I hate racebending.


    Vixen could do so much more than people give her credit for.

  15. #60
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1,296

    Default

    How would y’all feel about Vixen being paired with Freedom Beast?
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I canít relate.

    DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

    Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

    Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •