Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Actually, I don't think Vixen was more popular than Bumblebee at the time of Super Hero Girls coming out. I know she was known from JLU but Bumblebee had been in the more recent Teen Titans and Young Justice cartoons.

If they're worried about Zambesi being too much like Wakanda, they can have Mari be from Ghana. It's the country of origin for the mythology Mari uses.

Also, how trust worthy is Grace Randolph? Hasn't she made mistakes before?
    This isn't the first time we've heard rumblings about Vixen being on WB's radar. Those in the know that claimed WB was developing a Blue Beetle film (which is now confirmed) have also said Vixen and Hawkgirl/Hawkman have been discussed.

As for popularity/notoriety, I'd say Vixen and Bumblebee are pretty evenly matched in that regard. Vixen has been used alot in JL related media plus the CW shows and Bumblebee has been used in all TT/YJ media and Super Hero Girls.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    How would y’all feel about Vixen being paired with Freedom Beast?
    Never gave it any thought but I suppose it could work.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    She also would not have the same kind of supporting cast behind her as Black Panther had in his film. In her movie she could be shown dealing with street-level crime and/or dealing with a Justice League-level threat all by herself because she is THAT powerful.
    Popularity wise though, I think the lack of a strong supporting cast keeps a superhero from truly breaking out, which is why I think excellent characters like Vixen and Jaime Reyes haven't exploded yet. The most popular solo heroes - Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, Wonder Woman etc. have had a strong support cast right from their inception. The biggest reason Black Panther was such a big hit was because they focused so much on his Wakandan supports.

Mari needs more supports from her fashion background, love interests, fleshing out of Kuasa to be as nuanced as Kilmonger, if not more etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    How would y’all feel about Vixen being paired with Freedom Beast?
    I've never given it any thought and now that I have ...no thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Popularity wise though, I think the lack of a strong supporting cast keeps a superhero from truly breaking out, which is why I think excellent characters like Vixen and Jaime Reyes haven't exploded yet. The most popular solo heroes - Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, Wonder Woman etc. have had a strong support cast right from their inception. The biggest reason Black Panther was such a big hit was because they focused so much on his Wakandan supports.

Mari needs more supports from her fashion background, love interests, fleshing out of Kuasa to be as nuanced as Kilmonger, if not more etc.
    The lack of supporting characters is a result of a lack of solo being given to the character.

I shudder to think if a movie was approved what it would be about, I'm cringing at the prospect that the movie would be based off of the little animated shorts with her white savior adopted family and instead of being a successful businesswoman Mari is hardened and lost. And as much as I like Kuasa and think she needs to come to the comic side of things, I think that would be one more thing people could use to compare Vixen to BP.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 02-11-2019 at 09:56 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I've never given it any thought and now that I have ...not thank you.

The lack of supporting character is a result of a lack of solo being given to the character.

I shudder to think if a movie was approved what it would be about, I'm cringing at the prospect that the movie would be based off of the little animated shorts with her white savior adopted family and instead of being a successful businesswoman she's hardened and lost. And as much as I like Kuasa and think she needs to come to the comic side of things, I think that would be one more thing people could use to compare Vixen to BP.
    They could make Kuasa and ally instead of a enemy. They could also make Anansi a supporting of Vixen. I guess then he would be compared to loki, but then you could always just make him a benevolent god, though DC doesn't really do neutral gods it seems.

How would people in this thread pitch a Vixen movie ...like what would you say to the WB executives who only care about superficial representation and not the body of work of that character or the effect of having a racebent character be their first black female led movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    They could make Kuasa and ally instead of a enemy. They could also make Anansi a supporting of Vixen. I guess then he would be compared to loki, but then you could always just make him a benevolent god, though DC doesn't really do neutral gods it seems.
    I want Kuasa to remain a villain but yeah either change you make with her and she'll either be compared to Killimonger or Loki.

I do think the whole elemental totems that the animated shorts created would be a good thing after a typical origin film.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Incredible Member

I would love a Vixen movie, and I don't see the comparison beyond Black characters from fictional African country between Vixen and Black Panther. The most important difference from a storytelling standpoint is that Vixen is raised in America in a country plagued by racism, systematic and social. In the animated series, she is based in Detroit a city with a long and not very flattering history when it comes to race relations. That alone would great change how Vixen views the world from Black Panther. Vixen being a woman would also greatly change how she experiences the world and how people respond to her.

Personally, I also think Vixen would be important and successful from a different standpoint that I haven't heard/read too many people discuss. Black women do not have a "Sex in the City" type wish fullfillment movie. A movie that showcases high end fashion, hairstyles, condos, cars while also being a kick ass superhero movie. A small partnership with Essence Magazine and some hair care companies - this may seem insignificant but Black women fuel the hair industry - and I could see this movie becoming a beauty shop hot topic in the same way Black Panther became a barbershop hot topic for black men. A good cast and interesting premise could also help Black Twitter root for this film in the same way they rooted for Black Panther.

As for the movie itself, I think Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman and even Deadpool were hits with female audiences because they all had a strong love/relationship component. The same should be done with Mari - maybe with a pre-Green Lantern John Stewart. I also would like for Mari to have a magical villain to connect with her totem and to give the movie a visual spectacle that could attract international audiences.

My only question is who would direct and write it?

How would people in this thread pitch a Vixen movie ...like what would you say to the WB executives who only care about superficial representation and not the body of work of that character or the effect of having a racebent character be their first black female led movie.

I want Kuasa to remain a villain but yeah either change you make with her and she'll either be compared to Killimonger or Loki.

I do think the whole elemental totems that the animated shorts created would be a good thing after a typical origin film.
    I pitched an Urban Fantasy tv pilot a couple months ago. I focused on the main character and his struggles but i didn't hide he was south asian/muslim. So pitching Vixen or any other minority character would be similar- focus on who the character is- all parts of the character.

So who is Mari McCabe? What does she want and what is in her way? (rhetorical)

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I would love a Vixen movie, and I don't see the comparison beyond Black characters from fictional African country between Vixen and Black Panther. The most important difference from a storytelling standpoint is that Vixen is raised in America in a country plagued by racism, systematic and social. In the animated series, she is based in Detroit a city with a long and not very flattering history when it comes to race relations. That alone would great change how Vixen views the world from Black Panther. Vixen being a woman would also greatly change how she experiences the world and how people respond to her.

Personally, I also think Vixen would be important and successful from a different standpoint that I haven't heard/read too many people discuss. Black women do not have a "Sex in the City" type wish fullfillment movie. A movie that showcases high end fashion, hairstyles, condos, cars while also being a kick ass superhero movie. A small partnership with Essence Magazine and some hair care companies - this may seem insignificant but Black women fuel the hair industry - and I could see this movie becoming a beauty shop hot topic in the same way Black Panther became a barbershop hot topic for black men. A good cast and interesting premise could also help Black Twitter root for this film in the same way they rooted for Black Panther.

As for the movie itself, I think Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman and even Deadpool were hits with female audiences because they all had a strong love/relationship component. The same should be done with Mari - maybe with a pre-Green Lantern John Stewart. I also would like for Mari to have a magical villain to connect with her totem and to give the movie a visual spectacle that could attract international audiences.

My only question is who would direct and write it?
    I guess they could combine the origins of comic!Vixen and animated!Vixen, like after Mari was taken to America she was raised in Detroit before moving to New York in her late teens to pursue modeling or something like that.

I agree that reaching out to black establishments would work well for WB. And I think any one can see how supportive famous black people are towards inclusive things and how influential that can be, the support BP got with the multiple people buying out theaters for low income kids, the multiple praises the animated spider-verse movie got; very well done movies with black leads have such good support systems.

The Sex in the City mention once again made me realize that Mari needs a supporting cast, not that they would get all that much focus in an origin film ...but since she doesn't have any I could actually see a scene with Mari hanging with her friends who could be be Beatriz Da Costa and Tora Olafsdotter which would be a nice natural easter egg.

As for a magical villain ...does DC have any characters like that other than Anansi.

I wish I paid attention to screenwriters and directors b/c I have no idea who could make this movie work.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I pitched an Urban Fantasy tv pilot a couple months ago. I focused on the main character and his struggles but i didn't hide he was south asian/muslim. So pitching Vixen or any other minority character would be similar- focus on who the character is- all parts of the character.

So who is Mari McCabe? What does she want and what is in her way? (rhetorical)
    Congrats on getting an opportunity to pitch a pilot.

Hmm maybe a Vixen movie could explore the idea of Mari being so busy trying to bury her past (i.e never dealing with it) that she's losing herself in the present ...like maybe she doesn't feel content and once she goes to Zambesi to confront her past (and face her uncle) and obtain her birthright she becomes a hero and feels fulfilled in some way.

So maybe a movie that is about self discovery.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 02-11-2019 at 09:59 PM.

~~

DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Actually, I don't think Vixen was more popular than Bumblebee at the time of Super Hero Girls coming out. I know she was known from JLU but Bumblebee had been in the more recent Teen Titans and Young Justice cartoons.

If they're worried about Zambesi being too much like Wakanda, they can have Mari be from Ghana. It's the country of origin for the mythology Mari uses.

Also, how trust worthy is Grace Randolph? Hasn't she made mistakes before?
    It sounds like WB is concerned that Vixen is from ANYWHERE in Africa and is therefore too similar to Black Panther.

I guess they could combine the origins of comic!Vixen and animated!Vixen, like after Mari was taken to America she was raised in Detroit before moving to New York in her late teens to pursue modeling or something like that.

I agree that reaching out to black establishments would work well for WB. And I think any one can see how supportive famous black people are towards inclusive things and how influential that can be, the support BP got with the multiple people buying out theaters for low income kids, the multiple praises the animated spider-verse movie got very well done movies with black leads habe such good support systems.

The Sex in the City mention once again made me realize that Mari needs a supporting cast, not that they would get all that much focus in an origin film ...but since she doesn't have any I could actually see a scene with Mari hanging with her friends who could be be Beatriz Da Costa and Tora Olafsdotter which would be a nice natural easter egg.

As for a magical villain ...does DC have any characters like that other than Anansi.

I wish I paid attention to screenwriters and directors b/c I have no idea who could make this movie work.

Congrats on getting an opportunity to pitch a pilot.

Hmm maybe a movie could explore the idea of Mari being so busy trying to bury her past (i.e never dealing with it) that she's losing herself in the present ...like maybe she doesn't feel content and once she goes to Zambesi to confront her past (and face her uncle) and obtain her birthright she becomes a hero and feels fulfilled in some way.

So maybe a movie that is about self discovery.
    Thanks.

This all sounds good like a good place to start a story from.

Vixen's greatest weakness is her lack of solo content but thats also a strength. I could see a prospective writer/director loving that freedom. Plus it makes her malleable to a larger story etc.

I like the magic angle and would bring black orchid and deadman as her foils/"magic Avatar Trinity".

Bumblebee might also have a one-sided rivalry because I realized Mari would have an unfair advantage over her.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-11-2019 at 04:00 PM.

I have an idea for an environmental/nature based super team with Vixen as the leader. It would use the Primal Force name.

Members

Vixen

Black Orchid (Alba Garcia)

Freedom Beast

Zoraida

Ya'Wara

Pantha

Equinox (Miiyahbin Marten)

Sky Alchesay

Poison Ivy

Terra (Atlee)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    It sounds like WB is concerned that Vixen is from ANYWHERE in Africa and is therefore too similar to Black Panther.
    That's actually a good thing as they can give her an ambiguous origin. Something like the cartoon where she was raised in America and didn't know anything about her family. They can slowly reveal her history and the magic behind her powers.

Some truth here
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 02-11-2019 at 07:21 PM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

I have an idea for an environmental/nature based super team with Vixen as the leader. It would use the Primal Force name.

Members

Vixen

Black Orchid (Alba Garcia)

Freedom Beast

Zoraida

Ya'Wara

Pantha

Equinox (Miiyahbin Marten)

Sky Alchesay

Poison Ivy

Terra (Atlee)
    I had to look up a couple of the characters but I am here for an enriomental/nature based team.

I remember a comic writer saying he wanted to create an environmental team so I think there is definitely an audience or a want for this.

What would the mission statement of the team be or is just environmental/nature on looks alone and they're like any other team.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    That's actually a good thing as they can give her an ambiguous origin. Something like the cartoon where she was raised in America and didn't know anything about her family. They can slowly reveal her history and the magic behind her powers.

Some truth here
    It's true tho. It reminds me of the many charities that are focusing on issues like hunger, homelessness, and poverty in general in other countries and act like there isn't one here in the States.

I think we need to see more heroes not only saving the world but also be more community based, I want to see them doing things for their community.

~~

~~

Have we ever discussed possibly giving Vixen a villain who is basically an evil version of Storm? Perhaps replace the wind/air totem with a weather totem or have a villain who can create/manipulate the weather and cause Vixen nothing but trouble?

Maybe this character could be called Tempest or something... or maybe Gale or Monsoon.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 02-15-2019 at 09:21 PM.