Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    A nod to the classic storyline that introduced Zatanna to comics readers ?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A nod to the classic storyline that introduced Zatanna to comics readers ?
    I just realized that I don't know how Zatanna started.

I guess she was introduced in the Satellite era Justice League?

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post

If I recall correctly she was properly introduced across several different titles while searching for her father.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post

Her first appearance was in Hawkman #4, it along with the extened storyline of her search for Zatara across several DC titles was reprinted ina trade that is now out of print...

She did not technically appear in Detective 336, but the character who did-The Witch, was retroactively decided to be Zatanna and is included.

Other appearances included: Atom 19, Green Lantern 42, Detective 355, JLA 51.

Also included is the story from DC Blue Ribbon Digest #5 (from 1980) which adds a piece of retroactive continuity showing the disappearance of Zatara and the beginning of her search for him .

From there Zatanna had a back up strip inAdventure Comics (during the Supergirl run) and in Supergirl's title in the early 70s, and didn't join the JLA until 1978 in JLA 161, so she had a bit of history before the Satellite era of the League.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Her first appearance was in Hawkman #4, it along with the extened storyline of her search for Zatara across several DC titles was reprinted ina trade that is now out of print...

She did not technically appear in Detective 336, but the character who did-The Witch, was retroactively decided to be Zatanna and is included.

Also included is the story from DC Blue Ribbon Digest #5 (from 1980) which adds a piece of retroactive continuity showing the disappearance of Zatara and the beginning of her search for him .

From there Zatanna had a back up strip inAdventure Comics (during the Supergirl run) and in Supergirl's title in the early 70s, and didn't join the JLA until 1978 in JLA 161, so she had a bit of history before the Satellite era of the League.

-M
    That's always interested me; is "Zatanna's Search" the first multi-title event in comics? (even if some of it had to be retrofitted into place)

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post

-M
    I remember when I was younger, I convinced my dad to drive me around our city in search of that very trade paperback and to this day I've never found it.

BANNED

Really looking forward to this week's issue and To see hawkwoman meeting Carter but I'm still waiting for Carter and Kendra to finally have a serious talk about their relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    Really looking forward to this week's issue and To see hawkwoman meeting Carter but I'm still waiting for Carter and Kendra to finally have a serious talk about their relationship.
    Somehow I'm not expecting that to happen anytime soon...

Although I am curious how 5G will effect the Hawks.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Somehow I'm not expecting that to happen anytime soon...

Although I am curious how 5G will effect the Hawks.
    Yes not until snyder ends his run and settles the kendra and manhunter stuff but it will happen that I'm sure.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I’m just getting into this series, and a lot of other rebirth titles, and it’s definitely one of my favorite. I really want to see the Atom guest star in this book, or become a permanent fixture in his supporting cast.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I’m just getting into this series, and a lot of other rebirth titles, and it’s definitely one of my favorite. I really want to see the Atom guest star in this book, or become a permanent fixture in his supporting cast.
    then you are going to love issue 5 and 6

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

As much as I love Hawkman and Venditti this series has so far been just ok.

The first arc was pretty good and Venditti really has a good voice for Carter but it was very much lessened by how dragged out it was. I mean 12 issues for one story is Bendis territory. Hitches art was great though.

Then the second arc that just ended with Shadow Thief was just average and now were getting into Year of the villain crossover. 17 issues in and this is what we got.

It's really a shame because like I said the potential is there with how well Venditti writes Hawkman but the first arc dragging on forever followed up by a mediocre one and now a crossover is killing what the series can actually be.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    As much as I love Hawkman and Venditti this series has so far been just ok.

The first arc was pretty good and Venditti really has a good voice for Carter but it was very much lessened by how dragged out it was. I mean 12 issues for one story is Bendis territory. Hitches art was great though.

Then the second arc that just ended with Shadow Thief was just average and now were getting into Year of the villain crossover. 17 issues in and this is what we got.

It's really a shame because like I said the potential is there with how well Venditti writes Hawkman but the first arc dragging on forever followed up by a mediocre one and now a crossover is killing what the series can actually be.
    To be fair, any writer tackling the Hawks with only Hawkman has one had tied down. I think it's can solid considering that.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Today's issue was actually better than I expected.

It's a tie in to Year of the Villain and all the other nonsense going on but Venditti managed to make it stand on it's own and be a Hawkman story rather than an offshoot of those other events. So kudos for that.

With that being said, although the premise was good the action in the issue itself was just ok.

The last page is promising though.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake