Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Black Canary Appreciation 2019

A new year and any new appreciation thread for the Sonic Siren.

Created by: Dennis O'Niel and Dick Dillin

First appearance: Justice League of America #75 (November, 1969)

Happy New Year and a joyous Canary Cry to all fans of our favorite blonde bombshell in fishnets .

Here's hoping for a good 2019 for Dinah .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Here's hoping for a good 2019 for Dinah .
    Judging from the solicit to #50 of GA, I'm quite worried about what kind of year she'll have.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Dinah Drake is the original and mother who dates Green Arrow, and Dinah Lance is the daughter, right? Daughter of Kurt Lance, not Green Arrow. I know.

Otto Schmidt draws a gorgeous Black Canary .
    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Dinah Drake is the original and mother who dates Green Arrow, and Dinah Lance is the daughter, right? Daughter of Kurt Lance, not Green Arrow. I know.
    Originally Dinah Drake of Earth-2 dated Green Arrow when she came over to Earth-1, but then Dinah Lance become the Post-Crisis daughter of Dinah Drake and went on to become Green Arrow's love interest and the basis for most of modern Black Canary.

Otto Schmidt draws a gorgeous Black Canary .

Originally Dinah Drake of Earth-2 dated Green Arrow when she came over to Earth-1, but then Dinah Lance become the Post-Crisis daughter of Dinah Drake and went on to become Green Arrow's love interest and the basis for most of modern Black Canary.
    So in Post Crisis the one who married Olie was Dinah Lance, while her mother Drake never had any relationship with him
    ...and now in New 52/Rebirth, it's back to Dinah Drake again.

Was the Drake of Post Crisis ever been a Black Canary?

So in Post Crisis the one who married Olie was Dinah Lance, while her mother Drake never had any relationship with him
    ...and now in New 52/Rebirth, it's back to Dinah Drake again.
    I think Rebirth Canary is Dinah Lance again.
    Was the Drake of Post Crisis ever been a Black Canary?
    Yes. She was a member of the JSA.

I think Rebirth Canary is Dinah Lance again.
    ...but for all intents and purposes the same character. Black Canary in general.

Yes. She was a member of the JSA.
    ...and the one who found the Justice League before they retcon it back to Wonder Woman after Zero Hour was Lance?

...while the Black Canary of Pre Crisis JLA was Dinah Drake... who dated Olie

Man, f*** continuity

Has there been a Dinah Drake in Rebirth? Her mother who joined the JSA of Rebirth? Well, the JSA of Rebirth hasn't returned so I guess no confirmation yet...

...but for all intents and purposes the same character. Black Canary in general.

...and the one who found the Justice League before they retcon it back to Wonder Woman after Zero Hour was Lance?

...while the Black Canary of Pre Crisis JLA was Dinah Drake... who dated Olie

Man, f*** continuity

Has there been a Dinah Drake in Rebirth? Her mother who joined the JSA of Rebirth? Well, the JSA of Rebirth hasn't returned so I guess no confirmation yet...
    I don't think Wonder Woman was rectonned back into being a founder until Infinite Crisis.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Cover of The Brave and The Bold #107.

B&B107.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Cover of The Brave and The Bold #107.

Of course, at the time that was written, that would have been the Golden Age Black Canary (Dinah Drake Lance) originally from Earth-2, though the Black Canary(s) retcon from Justice League of America #219-220 (1983) would have probably made it the daughter Dinah Laurel Lance who still thought she was really her mother.
    (Then again, since it was a Bob Haney-written Brave & the Bold story, it might have taken place on Earth-B!)

Astonishing Member

Rebirth does a pretty good job of taking a holistic approach to characters but even though Black Canary has been plenty involved in storytelling, particularly in Green Arrow and Birds of Prey, she's been pretty stable and seems like not a lot of her Rebirthized history has been that explored. I'm totally down with that - but that being said as a character with nagging leftover residual Crisis-level retcons, I can't lie and say I'm not SUPER CURIOUS just what her Rebirthized kitchen sink history actually is, you know?

I've pretty lapsed on Birds of Prey - has Dinah's band turned back up at all?

Fletcher's Kung Fu Rock & Roll BLACK CANARY run was my absolute jam every month and while I don't need it rehashed over and over, nor do I want it forgotten.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Gail Simone has a twitter thread about how she came to react to Black Canary when she started writing Birds of Prey. Here are some takeouts, but the whole thread is worth reading:

I remember,bee when I first took over Birds of a Prey, I almost said no because I didn’t;want to be ‘the girl writer.’

And I thought I was taking the book because Babs was in it. Black Canary had gone through a rough patch.

She would have a great story, then appear somewhere and be a hostage or just eye candy, it was like they were not consistent. So I thought, I will write Babs and do my best wth Canary.

I expected to feel a connection with Babs,she was the reason I love superheroes since age six. But what happened is, the very first scene, I feel so hard in love with the Canary that she instantly became my favorite anything ever.

I love all the Boppers, I love a million characters, but it happens that way sometimes, you just connect with a character and they become your everything.

Canary is that for me.

So I specifically wrote a story that would make it impossible for her to be a hostage ever again. She’s got her legs broken, and is handcuffed in an attic, as a hostage. We breaks her own thumbs to escape and crawls down the stairs to beat the **** out of her abductor.

I wanted her to be the woman who got up every time she got knocked down. No speeches, no monologues, just she wouldn’t stay down.

And people responded, hugely, she started being treated with more respect in other books.