Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

I'm sad they went back to Black Canary as daughter of Black Canary. Never liked it. And it still going to be the same old issue with WW II being too long ago for that to be Dinah's mom (if those are indeed references to WII and the atomic bomb in those blurry pages). I know there's speculation on DC setting WW II always "60 years ago" but I think that's a no-go. I'm also not fond of the post-COIE with Ollie way older than Dinah. Right now, if you lay the generations end-to-end (and I think it has to be more complicated than that), Dinah will be ...17 when she joins JLA? 16 when Dick and Wally are recruited? Check my math - have I gotten off a generation or misread a year?
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-06-2019 at 11:26 AM.

I liked Dinah being a daughter of a Golden Age Black Canary and being raised by the JSA. If we finally get that back, I'll be really happy .

Plus maybe we could finally get back old school Quentin Lance and those stories .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I liked Dinah being a daughter of a Golden Age Black Canary and being raised by the JSA. If we finally get that back, I'll be really happy .

Plus maybe we could finally get back old school Quentin Lance and those stories .
    A lot of people like it. I never did. I hated the story that established it, I hate her being so much younger than Ollie Post-COIE, and I think it's a terrible idea to tie her to the WW II time-frame via her mom. And while I don't think most of the JSA (who I prefer on another earth) need to be tied to WWII, a lot of people do. And she's already too young to be the daughter of a woman who was in her 20s during WWII, and that will only get worse. Heck, maternal granddaughter of someone in her 20s during WWII will soon be out of reach.

I can't say I hate her being the daughter of the original BC, even if I hated the story that established it. But I just liked it so much more before that element was ever introduced, and I think it was just kicking the can down the road in terms of her age.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-06-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    A lot of people like it. I never did. I hated the story that established it, I hate her being so much younger than Ollie Post-COIE, and I think it's a terrible idea to tie her to the WW II time-frame via her mom. And while I don't think most of the JSA (who I prefer on another earth) need to be tied to WWII, a lot of people do. And she's already too young to be the daughter of a woman who was in her 20s during WWII, and that will only get worse. Heck, maternal granddaughter of someone in her 20s during WWII will soon be out of reach.
    I don't mind the age thing since it seems pretty irrelevant to their actual dynamic and relationship, although I guess Ollie is an "old leftie" while Dinah is a more modern, liberal, woman so there's a little clash there.

And age is just a number .

I don't mind the JSA being set in WWII and I think the storytelling potential outweights the narrative hoops one might need to jump through, but that's just me.

Was Larry ever Quentin in the comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Was Larry ever Quentin in the comics?
    Oh dang, I forgot his old school first name. Well, I always read him in Paul Blackthorne's voice .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't mind the age thing since it seems pretty irrelevant to their actual dynamic and relationship, although I guess Ollie is an "old leftie" while Dinah is a more modern, liberal, woman so there's a little clash there.
    Heh. You have an entirely different view of their dynamic than I have. My read of Ollie is that of an all-theory leftist who has talked and read a lot, but spent very little time on the barricades or in the picket lines. Dinah, on the other hand, I read as the working-class woman who has very little time for organising and even less for theory, but would be on the front lines of Cable Street.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Heh. You have an entirely different view of their dynamic than I have. My read of Ollie is that of an all-theory leftist who has talked and read a lot, but spent very little time on the barricades or in the picket lines. Dinah, on the other hand, I read as the working-class woman who has very little time for organising and even less for theory, but would be on the front lines of Cable Street.
    That's not I how I read them. I read Ollie as very involved. Very much a "doer." Picket lines, maybe. Definitely volunteering at homeless shelter (probably funding it, too, if he has money), like he did when just-back-from-dead. But yeah, one who contributes money and writes columns and makes speeches, too. And Dinah as non-active politically, by and large. Absolutely believes in some causes, but is no sense an activist, whereas Ollie is. She's a normal person in a normal life (while being an awesome hero) who usually votes in Presidential elections (probably doesn't think it does any good), but often not in the smaller stuff. Class isn't money, exactly, but I see her as from a family that never worried about rent or paying bills, parents have enough money to retire without struggling, but aren't going to leave the kids a lot, either.

Have we ever seen Dinah involved in anything like pickets or protests - I certainly haven't read everything with her.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-08-2019 at 11:20 AM.

I think of Dinah as a feminist but I'm not sure if she's too politically active about it. Although maybe she would be if writers showcased that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    I am not very hopeful for the BoP movie, but I will watch it and give it and this depiction of Dinah a fair chance. However, I still can't comprehend how this role could not have gone to Katheryn Winnick. In my opinion she is absoulutely perfect for Dinah. She has the look, the acting chops, the attitude, she was not against joining a supherhero franchise and most importantly she actually has the martial arts training to do the character justice.

Omg this was so perfect!!! WHY???!!!!
    We could have it aaall

Just wanted to say that I've been enjoying DCeased, and Dinah Lance, Green Lantern is a really good concept for an alt-Canary.

Quote Originally Posted by justinslot View Post
    Just wanted to say that I've been enjoying DCeased, and Dinah Lance, Green Lantern is a really good concept for an alt-Canary.
    It's definitely not something I was expecting (although I know Tom Taylor is a big fan of Dinah).

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Wonder if they threw out the team 7 stuff.
    I don't even remember Team 7 until you mention it

Sorry late reply

Black Canary: Ignite is out today! I can't wait to read up on little Dinah. I already have my digital copy from Comixology. I can't wait to read it when I get home from work.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    Black Canary: Ignite is out today! I can't wait to read up on little Dinah. I already have my digital copy from Comixology. I can't wait to read it when I get home from work.
    Can't wait until I get my chance to read it .