Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    They never made any such statement. I've actually looked it up. Every report on this states that WB specifically wanting a mixed race actress was a rumor.

https://screenrant.com/birds-prey-ca...iracial-rumor/

http://sciencefiction.com/2018/08/13...ry-birds-prey/

I am not saying they tested all of Hollywood. I am arguing against the claim that they only tested mixed race actresses.

Where are these trades that stated they wanted a mixed race actress?
    I'm not going through months of Internet stories to prove that I read something that I read. You wanna think I'm a liar or delusional, be my guest. You win.

I am not very hopeful for the BoP movie, but I will watch it and give it and this depiction of Dinah a fair chance. However, I still can't comprehend how this role could not have gone to Katheryn Winnick. In my opinion she is absoulutely perfect for Dinah. She has the look, the acting chops, the attitude, she was not against joining a supherhero franchise and most importantly she actually has the martial arts training to do the character justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think New 52/Rebirth established that she lost her parents at a young age and went from foster home to foster home.
    Ah,thanks. I found her Rebirth biography with the Team 7 Path. The Wildstorming of DCU was not kind to Dinah.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Dinah_Drake_(Prime_Earth)

On the topic of making a diverse cast a priority.
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...095417449.html

And to keep with the Appreciation concept of this thread...

Favorite Black Canary looks:

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    I'm not going through months of Internet stories to prove that I read something that I read. You wanna think I'm a liar or delusional, be my guest. You win.
    Instead of being defensive that somebody thinks you're a liar, maybe the question is whether the place where you thought you read that is credible (or if they had to later correct it because their original source was incorrect)?

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    Ahh, okay, yeah, that I can agree with.
    Though, no, I've never seen any female bikers wearing something like this...except the leather jacket. 😆
    Then you're living in the wrong place.

Granted, these days its usually a t-shirt instead of a corset, but still.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    I am not very hopeful for the BoP movie, but I will watch it and give it and this depiction of Dinah a fair chance. However, I still can't comprehend how this role could not have gone to Katheryn Winnick. In my opinion she is absoulutely perfect for Dinah. She has the look, the acting chops, the attitude, she was not against joining a supherhero franchise and most importantly she actually has the martial arts training to do the character justice.
    Oh man, Winnick would've been awesome. She never crossed my mind!

She didnt get Captain Marvel or Black Canary......there's gotta be a role out there for her. She's too good to be passed on.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wegotth...irds-prey/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbo...anary-actress/
    https://batman-news.com/2018/08/11/b...-black-canary/
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenr...ial-rumor/amp/

You can argue whether they're "reputable" or not, but they were apparently right on this. WB seeks bi-racial actresses for Black Canary...they cast a be-racial actress for Black Canary... If they were looking to cast a bi-racial actresses to play Black Canary then it wouldn't make a lot of sense to audition Caucasian actresses for the role.
    All these articles we're released in August of 2018...the list of actresses reading for the roles was released a month later. Logic would dictate that these articles we're correct.
    Last edited by Stromberg; 02-15-2019 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post

I know we're all comic book fans and we're so used to seeing Black Canary a certain way, but the cropped jacket, corset, choker and the fishnets are ridiculous as a super-hero outfit. At least in any kind of serious movie. Or am I nuts?

And btw, I am hoping for Winnick to be the movie Mockingbird, so she can be with Renner Hawkeye in a "The IT Factor" reunion. (since it seems I will not get the Star-Lord/Agent 13 "Everwood" reunion I was hoping for)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-15-2019 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I know we're all comic book fans and we're so used to seeing Black Canary a certain way, but the cropped jacket, corset, choker and the fishnets are ridiculous as a super-hero outfit. At least in any kind of serious movie. Or am I nuts?
    Personally, I don't think the outfit is any more ridiculous than Starfire from the Titans tv show or Harley in Suicide Squad or many other costume/outfit adaptations, which have been put on screen. Also, her Rebirth or Injustice 2 video game outfit would work just as well or even better and still be true to the essence of the character.
    Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 02-16-2019 at 01:59 AM.

Just going off those images, it works for me, but to each their own .

I mean, I'd go with something high necked, like what Dinah wore through a chunk of the 00's, and definitely throw in some knee pads, but it's no worse than what a lot of heroes wear.

~ Black Panther.

Smolett-Bell’s version of Canary gets some pre-merchandising love ����

Side note: I wonder if her casting will be viewed as a liability for BOP (and proposed solo film for Black Canary)if the Smollett name continues to be in the news, controversially? Hoping her career remains above that fray.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

If the film just went with this costume, this whole debate could be put to rest (I actually prefer the version with pants, but couldn't find a pic I liked featuring them).

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Smolett-Bell’s version of Canary gets some pre-merchandising love ����

Side note: I wonder if her casting will be viewed as a liability for BOP (and proposed solo film for Black Canary)if the Smollett name continues to be in the news, controversially? Hoping her career remains above that fray.

A) That's a cool t-shirt, but why are they hyping the movie this far in advance?

B) I wonder if that is BC's super-hero outfit or her civvies?

C) wow, did not even make the connection between BOP's Jurnee Smollett-Bell and EMPIRE's embattled Jussie Smollett until right now! Doesn't look good for her brother ...

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    A) That's a cool t-shirt, but why are they hyping the movie this far in advance?

B) I wonder if that is BC's super-hero outfit or her civvies?

C) wow, did not even make the connection between BOP's Jurnee Smollett-Bell and EMPIRE's embattled Jussie Smollett until right now! Doesn't look good for her brother ...
    I hope it's just civvies...