Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    I agree that biker boots or boots with little to no heel would be more practical, but I always have to hink of this when someone says get rid of the heels:

It's more for the sake of actors doing the fight scenes. I doubt any are trained to fight, flip and do MMA in heels. It promises they will turn her into CGI for fights or she will mostly throw punches, basic kicks with heavy cutting or grapple off her feet a lot and that sucks on toast. I want to see her kick butt and without 19 shots in a 15 second window. That's what is my primary concern. I'm fine with the actual visual of it, and if some actress can pull it off in heels, go for it.

How dare you use Waid and Kitson against me. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    I agree that biker boots or boots with little to no heel would be more practical, but I always have to hink of this when someone says get rid of the heels:

Keep in mind that Dinah was only able to do that because Flash was standing still. An opponent normally wouldn't be able to do that to him when Flash is in motion.

And, you know, it doesn't negate his point about heels being impractical.

Most superheroes have deeply impractical costumes, but it's mainly the women who gets critiqued for it.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I just really want them to zip up more - sorry. Canary's just looks awful to me - at least I can see the sex appeal of BW, even I don't prefer it. You may have guessed I'm not a guy.
    I am a guy, and I love boobs as much as the next man, and even I want them to zip up some.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Most superheroes have deeply impractical costumes, but it's mainly the women who gets critiqued for it.
    Also true.

I figure if my wife can run at full speed in heels, then Dinah can kick someone while wearing them. I mean, if we accept the idea that Batman can still be Batman at 40 (and Tom Brady is still winning Super Bowl rings at that age so why not?) then Dinah can fight in high heels.

But I'd rather a live-action Dinah just go full-on biker b!tch, get some big heavy boots and use those to stomp people's faces into the pavement.

The Rebirth costume is arguably the best look to translate (at least her shirt has some straps so she doesn't fall out of it), but they could also do what Dinah's DCYOU solo did and instead of a single "costume" give her wardrobe a theme, same as they've done with Harley in the comics.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I feel like at that point she really should just wear biker boots proper. When it's an actual person doing martial arts, I don't know what the heel posture (wedge or otherwise) does to help. Dunno, I'm fine to let them go in live action.
    She had biker boots for her last Post-Crisis costume, so I think it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The Rebirth costume is arguably the best look to translate (at least her shirt has some straps so she doesn't fall out of it), but they could also do what Dinah's DCYOU solo did and instead of a single "costume" give her wardrobe a theme, same as they've done with Harley in the comics.
    Harley has a standard look though. The lack of which is why I just kind of got tired of the stage outfits for the DCYou book.

I figure if my wife can run at full speed in heels, then Dinah can kick someone while wearing them. I mean, if we accept the idea that Batman can still be Batman at 40 (and Tom Brady is still winning Super Bowl rings at that age so why not?) then Dinah can fight in high heels.
    What gets me is the way the critique is framed. If it focused on the way that clothing for female superheroes is largely sexualised, that's a fair one. But if it's about how impractical it is, but the same critique isn't aimed against Batman's huge cape, or the way his cowl makes it near impossible to move his head freely (kind of important in a fight against multiple opponents), then it gets hypocritical. As Dinah points out so well in the posted images.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Harley has a standard look though. The lack of which is why I just kind of got tired of the stage outfits for the DCYou book.
    I'd think Dinah's lack of a straight up costume would make transitioning her into a larger wardrobe easier?

~ Black Panther.

Also true.

But I'd rather a live-action Dinah just go full-on biker b!tch, get some big heavy boots and use those to stomp people's faces into the pavement.

Sure, if the actress can pull it off, go for it. I just think that if they get in the way at all, absolutely lose the heels because her ability to outfight almost anyone is way more important to Dinah than some heels and the biker boots fit her so well anyway.

I'm not a stickler for practicality, though even I've got my limits for suspension of disbelief. Still, if I'm cool with Hawkman just wearing the harness over his chest, I'll be fine with Dinah in heels so long as--again-- it doesn't inhibit her ability to kick ass without turning into a CGI effect.

I was so bummed that the last shot of Aquaman was a CGI Arthur instead of Momoa. You mean to tell me they couldn't put him on wires and jerk him around for that scene? Come on.

i love the art in this

Was Larry ever Quentin in the comics?
    And I hate that Quentin name, so hate adaptations unnecessary need for changing stuff, I like Larry its just fine.
    Lawrence "Larry" Lance. Keep it that way DC.

I'm also not fond of the post-COIE with Ollie way older than Dinah.
    But since new 52 it does seem their age are the same, right?

Sure, if the actress can pull it off, go for it. I just think that if they get in the way at all, absolutely lose the heels because her ability to outfight almost anyone is way more important to Dinah than some heels and the biker boots fit her so well anyway.

I'm not a stickler for practicality, though even I've got my limits for suspension of disbelief. Still, if I'm cool with Hawkman just wearing the harness over his chest, I'll be fine with Dinah in heels so long as--again-- it doesn't inhibit her ability to kick ass without turning into a CGI effect.

I was so bummed that the last shot of Aquaman was a CGI Arthur instead of Momoa. You mean to tell me they couldn't put him on wires and jerk him around for that scene? Come on.
    Oh, in live action? If the actress can move properly in a pair of heels and the stunt crews can pull everything off, then whatever. But if the actress and crew can't sell it (or if it'd be a inconvenience, or they just don't wanna) then yeah it is not a hill to die on. Hell, you know what, just put the actress in some big badass biker boots anyway, no need to torture her feet (or the stuntwoman's) like that.

I thought you just meant, like, in general.

~ Black Panther.

Oh, in live action? If the actress can move properly in a pair of heels and the stunt crews can pull everything off, then whatever. But if the actress and crew can't sell it (or if it'd be a inconvenience, or they just don't wanna) then yeah it is not a hill to die on. Hell, you know what, just put the actress in some big badass biker boots anyway, no need to torture her feet (or the stuntwoman's) like that.

I thought you just meant, like, in general.
    Oh, no. Dinah can fight in heels like a bird flies in air... on the printed page! I'm fine with most costumes, I've never cared for "how come the costume" because, well, none of them make any damned sense-- male or female. My vote is that she dons a full Rebirth costume with the classic look being a costume party or flashback only. It's an absolutely killer look (same with Bombshells, mind) but live action's the one place I'd probably be the first to say "let's go practical, I want to see Dinah kick ass."

Big chunky biker boots with a heavy tread to axe kick into some dude's head? Throw on some loud punk track to that and that's my jam for Black Canary. I've always thought Vi's theme from League of Legends actually fits Dinah pretty well, to be quite frank.

Oh, no. Dinah can fight in heels like a bird flies in air... on the printed page! I'm fine with most costumes, I've never cared for "how come the costume" because, well, none of them make any damned sense-- male or female. My vote is that she dons a full Rebirth costume with the classic look being a costume party or flashback only. It's an absolutely killer look (same with Bombshells, mind) but live action's the one place I'd probably be the first to say "let's go practical, I want to see Dinah kick ass."

Big chunky biker boots with a heavy tread to axe kick into some dude's head? Throw on some loud punk track to that and that's my jam for Black Canary. I've always thought Vi's theme from League of Legends actually fits Dinah pretty well, to be quite frank.
    I remember seeing from Behind the Scenes videos of some movies that often times actors will have two costumes: one for regular scenes and one for action scenes. The costumes for actions scenes are looser and in the case of women, often don't have heels. And the costumes will be corrected with CGI to look more pleasing during post.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Because female heroine costumes (like Dinah's) tend to be both sexualized and impractical.