Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quick question, I've read a lot of modern Dinah but not a lot of JSA pre-Crisis Dinah. Is there a notable difference in personality that lends believability to the mom retcon?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Quick question, I've read a lot of modern Dinah but not a lot of JSA pre-Crisis Dinah. Is there a notable difference in personality that lends believability to the mom retcon?
    Not sure if there's any that couldn't be written off as just a difference in times and attitudes as far as how female characters were written.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    How old was Robert Downy Jr. again when he started Iron Man and finished?
    And women are held to a different standard than men. Sad but true.
    Frankly, it doesn't matter. More pointless debate can go on a long as people want it to, but Kathryn didn't get the part, Jurnee did and by all accounts she's great in the role. You don't have to be Kathryn Winnick to be a great Black Canary.
    Last edited by Stromberg; 12-19-2019 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    Frankly, it doesn't matter. More pointless debate can go on a long as people want it to, but Kathryn didn't get the part, Jurnee did and by all accounts she's great in the role. You don't have to be Kathryn Winnick to be a great Black Canary.
    No one is saying Jurnee will be bad nor that Katheryn was the only logical choice. Would I, personally, have preferred Winnick? Sure. But as you mentioned, it didn't happen and that's OK. I take much more issue with other aspects of the upcoming BoP interpretation (from what we have seen and what has been released so far) of the character than casting:

- the wardrobe department made some interesting choices that I personally don't like
    - the constant promotional images and videos of her with Harley's baseball bat
    - the apparent use of a knife as a weapon according to some character stills
    - being shown with a cigarette and what could potentially be a nicotine patch

Those are all things I would not have been happy with regardless of who was playing Dinah. The movie is going to be what it's going to be and I have decided it's not for me and that's fine. I'm not going to bash Jurnee or her portrayal.

Without having seen the movie, and basing my opinion off the promo material available at this time, it's not what I had hoped to see. Especially, after being let down by the Arrowverse Canaries 3 times I was hoping for something, that to me, seemed more true to the comics. What is "true" to the comics is subjective and differs for everyone, so that alone leaves a lot up to interpretation. In many ways, perhaps this depiction will be "more accurate" and people, including myself, will be pleasantly surprised, who knows? Either way I hope the audience treats her and everyone that worked on the movie kindly and if the portrayal turns out to be something that people want to see more of then great.

To keep the thread a little more light-hearted here is a compilation video of Black Canary's evolution in animation:

Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 12-19-2019 at 04:31 PM.

True, but it's not the same. RDJ does most of his action scenes with the camera on his face, under a black tent.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    No one is saying Jurnee will be bad nor that Katheryn was the only logical choice. Would I, personally, have preferred Winnick? Sure. But as you mentioned, it didn't happen and that's OK. I take much more issue with other aspects of the upcoming BoP interpretation (from what we have seen and what has been released so far) of the character than casting:

- the wardrobe department made some interesting choices that I personally don't like
    - the constant promotional images and videos of her with Harley's baseball bat
    - the apparent use of a knife as a weapon according to some character stills
    - being shown with a cigarette and what could potentially be a nicotine patch

Those are all things I would not have been happy with regardless of who was playing Dinah. The movie is going to be what it's going to be and I have decided it's not for me and that's fine. I'm not going to bash Jurnee or her portrayal.

Without having seen the movie, and basing my opinion off the promo material available at this time, it's not what I had hoped to see. Especially, after being let down by the Arrowverse Canaries 3 times I was hoping for something, that to me, seemed more true to the comics. What is "true" to the comics is subjective and differs for everyone, so that alone leaves a lot up to interpretation. In many ways, perhaps this depiction will be "more accurate" and people, including myself, will be pleasantly surprised, who knows? Either way I hope the audience treats her and everyone that worked on the movie kindly and if the portrayal turns out to be something that people want to see more of then great.

To keep the thread a little more light-hearted here is a compilation video of Black Canary's evolution in animation:

I've heard about the knife but I haven't yet seen it and no, I'm not crazy about the bat but apparently Harley gives them all something at some point and I basically write it off like I do the weapons she has in Arrow.
    The costuming I like. I actually think it's as comics accurate, if not moreso than anything we've seen in Arrow and I like how they incorporate elements of Dinah into each outfit.
    The smoking I find interesting because we know from what Jurnee has said that at the point we meet her, Dinah isn't owning her power so I find the concept of her trying to damage her voice (and the Canary Cry) with smoking interesting...if that is indeed what she's doing.
    Last edited by Stromberg; 12-21-2019 at 12:20 AM.

I've heard about the knife but I haven't yet seen it and no, I'm not crazy about the bat but apparently Harley gives them all something at some point and I basically write it off like I do the weapons she has in Arrow.
    The costuming I like. I actually think it's as comics accurate, if not moreso than anything we've seen in Arrow and I like how they incorporate elements of Dinah into each outfit.
    The smoking I find interesting because we know from what Jurnee has said that at the point we meet her, Dinah isn't owning her power so I find the concept of her trying to damage her voice (and the Canary Cry) with smoking interesting...if that is indeed what she's doing.
    At the end of the day, this is just one interpretation of a character that has had many prior depictions and will most likely have many after this one, so it's fine if this one doesn't speak to me and my likes. And it's fine if others absolutely love it. There will always be versions of this and any character that someone can identify with and like more than others.

As I said, I find it strange that such emphasis has seemingly been placed on weapons and props for Black Canary. I didn't like it in Arrow and I don't like it here. Should Dinah be proficient with weapons? I certainly think that should be the case given all of her martial arts training, but I don't want that to be a gimmick or be something she is necessarily known for, which is what I think is happening. In most of the promo shots and even the merchandise that has been released so far you see her with the damn bat. But the bat also re-emphasizes to me that Dinah is playing second fiddle to Harley, which is another thing I take some issue with in general. As for the knife, I have no idea how prominent that will be or why it was mentioned, but that just really made me scratch my head. My initial reaction was, "Oh, this is rated R so we need a weapon to stab or cut someone so we can have some blood?" I obviously don't know if the decision was that simple or what role the knife will actually have in the film, but that's where my mind went.

In regard to the wardrobe, I'm not going to sit here and say it's bad, because I truly don't think that. I just think it doesn't necessarily scream Black Canary to me. Out of all the outfits we have seen Dinah wear, I actually like what she is seen wearing in the club where she is singing. I love that she has her signature fishnets and Jurnee looks stunning in it. I know the jumpsuit is comics accurate, but I think it looks and feels a bit outdated, which makes sense because the wardrobe designers have stated that her looks were heavily inspired by the 70s. That also explains the bell bottom pants, etc. My personal preference, would have been something a bit more inspired by bikers or what you would call "the rocker chick". I also wish that the nose piercing wasn't a thing. I can't explain where that choice came from and I can't justify it in my mind other than trying to give her look more edge? I saw a photoshopped image of Jurnee as Black Canary and was blown away with how great it looked. I just think the wardrobe department kind of let her down and helped stir the pot by making choices that weren't instantly recognizable as the character, giving people more things to negatively latch on to.

That would have been something, for example, that I think more people could have gotten behind and had less to gripe about.

As far as the smoking goes, I can understand the decision behind it from a character development standpoint. It gives her an internal struggle if she is doing it to damage her powers, etc. And I don't want to say that Dinah would never do something like that or would never be in a mind space to "self-medicate", harm herself or try and suppress her powers, but in a way I think it does contradict some of the things I love about Dinah. All her years of training mean she is a very disciplined person and we know she thinks things through and is highly regarded, which is why she was made chairwoman of the JLA, why she compliments Ollie so much, etc.

I'm not trying to bash this project, even if my overall opinion on this movie, at this time, is negative. I may be pleasantly surprised and have to eat crow once I see the movie as a lot of my personal complaints or concerns could simply be based on assumptions and the fact that they are trying to work towards a more "accurate" depiction of the character by first starting her off in a low place to have her enjoy some growth and character development at a later time.
    Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 12-21-2019 at 02:18 AM.

Her movie outfit is a non-costume, so I don't really care for it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Her movie outfit is a non-costume, so I don't really care for it.
    She has several outfits in the movie including a blue suit that is pretty comics accurate.

She has several outfits in the movie including a blue suit that is pretty comics accurate.
    Yeah, but the one they keep promoting her in seems to be the "main" look, and...again, it's not very comic-accurate in my opinion, colors be darned.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The only ways that would be possible is if Dinah Sr either time travelled to the future after the war, met current Dinah's Dad and got pregnant, then went back to her own time, which would explain Dinah ending up in care, or, if she had a healing factor which enabled her to stay young for a century, but in which case, why wouldn't current Dinah have the same power? Meta powers tend to be hereditary (for example, Jon Kent and Bart Allen). It'd be a lot easier to have the mother not be from the war.
    I like the time travel idea. But does she have to be of the Greatest Generation for the mother daughter thing to work? Maybe she was a hero 10-20 years before Dinah was born.