Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    WHEN did Dinah get a “bad girl/off the street” origin?
    I think New 52/Rebirth established that she lost her parents at a young age and went from foster home to foster home.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Or maybe she got the role because she was the best choice out of all the actresses who auditioned for it.
    Oh, I'm sure she was...kinda. They announced their decision to cast a mixed race/WoC in the role before they auditioned. So, yeah, of the black actress they auditioned I'm sure she gave the best audition. But no, it was not a case of them auditioning actress of all races and Jurnee was just the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    WHEN did Dinah get a “bad girl/off the street” origin?

While the mother/daughter legacy hero comes and goes in her origin depending on continuity, I only recall the police family background element of her backstory.
    I was talking about her visual, not her narrative origin. Dinah's had a "bad girl/street" visual (the fishnets, the jacket, the bikes, etc) since the start. Sure, she's had *actual* costumes here and there over the decades, but she always returns to her Bike Week look pretty damn quickly.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I was talking about her visual, not her narrative origin. Dinah's had a "bad girl/street" visual (the fishnets, the jacket, the bikes, etc) since the start. Sure, she's had *actual* costumes here and there over the decades, but she always returns to her Bike Week look pretty damn quickly.
    So this isn't a costume? This is just something biker chicks wear?8SkJt3u.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    So this isn't a costume? This is just something biker chicks wear?8SkJt3u.jpg
    Probably my favorite BC costume! Hope she gets a lead role in a book real soon. Wearing something just like that.

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    Probably my favorite BC costume! Hope she gets a lead role in a book real soon. Wearing something just like that.
    That's one of my favorites too, though I dislike thongs on costumes and I've always thought Dinah should have her knees protected (that complaint covers almost every look she's ever had tho). She's kicking people and rolling around on broken concrete.....bad enough to leave her thighs exposed, at least protect the knees, girl!

Though I was also a fan of how the DCYOU series didn't stick to one look and gave her a full wardrobe based around her theme. I thought that worked pretty damn well for Dinah. And I thought it worked well when Harley started doing it too. Not everyone can pull that sort of thing off but Dinah's definitely one of them.
    Last edited by Ascended; 02-13-2019 at 08:46 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

So this isn't a costume? This is just something biker chicks wear?
    Damn near, yeah. ?? Why, do you not have bikers who dress (basically) like this out your way?

I mean, it's a "costume" in that its the outfit Dinah is always wearing when she's on the job, and you're probably not going to see someone wearing it on their way to the office. But its not really a costume-costume, all spandex with a big cape and all that. I never said Dinah doesn't wear a costume, I've said that she's got a "bad girl/biker chick" visual.

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Damn near, yeah. ?? Why, do you not have bikers who dress (basically) like this out your way?

I mean, it's a "costume" in that its the outfit Dinah is always wearing when she's on the job, and you're probably not going to see someone wearing it on their way to the office. But its not really a costume-costume, all spandex with a big cape and all that. I never said Dinah doesn't wear a costume, I've said that she's got a "bad girl/biker chick" visual.
    Ahh, okay, yeah, that I can agree with.
    Though, no, I've never seen any female bikers wearing something like this...except the leather jacket. 😆

Oh, I'm sure she was...kinda. They announced their decision to cast a mixed race/WoC in the role before they auditioned. So, yeah, of the black actress they auditioned I'm sure she gave the best audition. But no, it was not a case of them auditioning actress of all races and Jurnee was just the best.
    They never made any such announcement. That was a rumor.

Fantastic Member

They never made any such announcement. That was a rumor.
    According to who? It was in the trades; WB is seeking mixed race actresses for the role of Black Canary. They auditioned Jurnee and Gugu Mbatha Raw...fairly accurate rumor.

According to who? It was in the trades; WB is seeking mixed race actresses for the role of Black Canary. They auditioned Jurnee and Gugu Mbatha Raw...fairly accurate rumor.
    Just because they tested mixed race actresses doesn't mean they didn't test actresses of other races as well. We only know they tested Mbatha and Smollet because they're more well known. It doesn't mean they only considered casting black women.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-13-2019 at 09:34 PM.

Fantastic Member

Just because they tested mixed race actresses doesn't mean they didn't test actresses of other races as well. We only know they tested Mbatha and Smollet because they're more well known. It doesn't mean they only considered casting black women.
    They're more well known than Blake Lively, Jodie Comer, Kathryn Winnick...all rumored to be considered for the role but never tested. After those initial rumors the trades reported...again; WB seeks mixed race actress for the role of Black Canary...not any actress, including mixed race...they seek mixed race actress for the role of Black Canary... And then they tested Jurnee and Gugu and then Jurnee got the role...that was the series of events.

They're more well known than Blake Lively, Jodie Comer, Kathryn Winnick...all rumored to be considered for the role but never tested. After those initial rumors the trades reported...again; WB seeks mixed race actress for the role of Black Canary...not any actress, including mixed race...they seek mixed race actress for the role of Black Canary... And then they tested Jurnee and Gugu and then Jurnee got the role...that was the series of events.
    There were other actresses tested. They just didn't reveal the names. The trades reported on WB testing mixed race actresses because the mixed race actresses in question were more well known than the others. "WB tests no name white actress that no one has heard of" isn't exactly an attention grabbing headline.

There has never been any confirmation that WB was exclusively seeking mixed race actresses for the role of Black Canary. People just assumed they were because they heard about Mbatha and Smollet being tested.

Fantastic Member

There were other actresses tested. They just didn't reveal the names. The trades reported on WB testing mixed race actresses because the mixed race actresses in question were more well known than the others. "WB tests no name white actress that no one has heard of" isn't exactly an attention grabbing headline.

There has never been any confirmation that WB was exclusively seeking mixed race actresses for the role of Black Canary. People just assumed they were because they heard about Mbatha and Smollet being tested.
    They stated they wanted a mixed race actress, they tested mixed race actresses (I have no clue what makes you think they tested white actresses when they had stated they wanted a mixed race actress), they cast a mixed race actress...I literally do not understand what you are debating. If you wanna think they tested all of Hollywood, go to town, that just isn't the case based on the facts presented.
    And yes, they did state it, as I said, it was in the trades.

They stated they wanted a mixed race actress, they tested mixed race actresses (I have no clue what makes you think they tested white actresses when they had stated they wanted a mixed race actress), they cast a mixed race actress...I literally do not understand what you are debating. If you wanna think they tested all of Hollywood, go to town, that just isn't the case based on the facts presented.
    And yes, they did state it, as I said, it was in the trades.
    They never made any such statement. I've actually looked it up. Every report on this states that WB specifically wanting a mixed race actress was a rumor.

https://screenrant.com/birds-prey-ca...iracial-rumor/

http://sciencefiction.com/2018/08/13...ry-birds-prey/

I am not saying they tested all of Hollywood. I am arguing against the claim that they only tested mixed race actresses.

Where are these trades that stated they wanted a mixed race actress?