Page 167 of 301 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177217267 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,505 of 4503
    Astonishing Member

My take is
    Scemma is over, lets keep that and ignore the rest. Now with Hickman we get a new start, and Rosenberg's run will largely be ignored.
    It's basically the same thing that happened with Bendis and Hickman when Hickman was doing Time Runs Out and Secret Wars, nobody ever knows what happened with the Nation X of Cyclops guarded by Sentinels Hickman created because it was ignored completely. I doubt Hickman will have a hard time ignoring the terrible books of these last years.

BTW, I think Emma in black, being the hellfire king, and the character assasination of Shaw (even villains can be character assasinated), were all bad things. So i don't have a problem with that stuff getting retconned out or ignored.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post

Also, men who leave their wives for a mistress most often don't end up staying with the mistress. They are more likely to leave the mistress to get back together with their ex or they try to find someone else, because once the hot-and-heavy stage wore off, they realized they don't have as much in common with the mistress as they thought they did, or on some level, they'll blame the mistress for dramatically changing their lives. I can easily see Scott being the latter, with him subconsciously blaming and resenting Emma for what happened with Jott (which we've seen him reminisce about for years now). He'll never say it, and he probably doesn't even realize it, but that's my explanation for why he's been treating Emma so dismissively ever since Utopia/Schism.

I think the best thing for Emma right now is to move on from Scemma. As long as she has storylines involving Scott, she'll continue to be portrayed as the crazy, bitter ex Maddie 2.0. I'm hoping that rumor of her being on a team book written by Gerry Duggan (and not on the main book with Cyclops) is true, because she really needs a new status quo.
    Yeah, except, of course, not only Scott and Emma wasn't a typical affair by any means (not just by the psychic stuff), but they do have a lot in common- they both X-men, educators, and were working to save mutantkind and the world. Their worldviews are not exactly the same, but over the years they became closer, with Scott, partially by necessity, getting a harsher view and Emma softening up.

There's nothing to do psychoanalyzing here, the answer is simple: Scott and Emma were together when Marvel wanted to do something different, then begun to have problems because Marvel wanted to return things to status quo- the X-men to the mansion, the old Xavier vs Magneto dynamic, and that included Emma becoming evil again, and Scott and Jean eventually back together.

And just to clarify what I say about nostalgia and stuff- for fans, this can be pretty good. It's for writers and editors that this a disaster, because their job is to tell new stories and move the characters forward.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    The complaints mostly stem from Jott fans because it was trying to re-affirm Scott and Emma's relationship while moving Jean to even higher things. The voices were okay, everyone seemed correct. The ending was a little cheesy, but nothing wrong with that.
    Higher things, better just say dead.

I'm glad Scemma is over. I want Emma to move onto better things. What pissed me off what how they threw her under the bus.

And the whole ideology thing. Emma erasing mutants from people's minds, and Cyclops, a straight white male, giving a lecture about not having to hide who we are. It was Emma who was against the cure and it was Emma who encouraged her brother to come out!!

Give me a break.
    Last edited by ButterRum; 07-18-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Now that I've accepted Scemma's end, I must ask:

Back to WHite? Stay Black? Or new color?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Now that I've accepted Scemma's end, I must ask:

Back to WHite? Stay Black? Or new color?
    I like her in white. She looks more fabulous and out of reach in white.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

White with tons of fur.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Higher things, better just say dead.
    She was ascending to White Phoenix of the Crown, and saves mutantkind by manipulating reality to cause Hope's birth.

Outside of the horrible Greg Land art, I liked it.
    that was my first exposure to Land and coincidentally, was IMO his best work

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The sad thing about Land is that he has talent, he just doesn't apply himself most of the time.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I can't get past Kitty and Emma having the same face, on two pages from each other no less. Plus Jean's return face is shlocky beyond words.

Shlock.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    There's nothing to do psychoanalyzing here, the answer is simple: Scott and Emma were together when Marvel wanted to do something different, then begun to have problems because Marvel wanted to return things to status quo- the X-men to the mansion, the old Xavier vs Magneto dynamic, and that included Emma becoming evil again, and Scott and Jean eventually back together.

And just to clarify what I say about nostalgia and stuff- for fans, this can be pretty good. It's for writers and editors that this a disaster, because their job is to tell new stories and move the characters forward.
    Just because Scott and Emma broke up (years ago btw) and Jean and Scott may be back together doesn't mean it's reversion. This was always going to be the case if Jean returned. That's why Marvel decided to kill her off in the first place. I think Emma always knew the score there.

Relationship statuses don't tend to effect major story lines. I don't think we can observe one relationship reforming and use that to make a statement about the entire franchise. Nothing that has happened in any way effects any writers capabilities to write new and interesting stories about Emma, Jean, Scott or Logan, or anyone else for that matter. Ships in comics are more about world building than narrative anyway. It's fine to be disappointed with how it played out, but that's not a limiting factor on stories going forward.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    Just because Scott and Emma broke up (years ago btw) and Jean and Scott may be back together doesn't mean it's reversion. This was always going to be the case if Jean returned. That's why Marvel decided to kill her off in the first place. I think Emma always knew the score there.

Relationship statuses don't tend to effect major story lines. I don't think we can observe one relationship reforming and use that to make a statement about the entire franchise. Nothing that has happened in any way effects any writers capabilities to write new and interesting stories about Emma, Jean, Scott or Logan, or anyone else for that matter. Ships in comics are more about world building than narrative anyway. It's fine to be disappointed with how it played out, but that's not a limiting factor on stories going forward.
    Imo, the biggest issue about Jean being back in a relationship with Scott is the strong temptation of writing Phoenix stories. We all know it's going to happen again eventually. The Phoenix is worse than Namor for Reed and Sue Richards.

I am glad Scemma is over and hopefully that was the final point. I'd prefer Emma in a spin off to be honest, in which the writer has great liberties, something like PAD's X-Factor, over having her in a book with all the classic Claremont XMen living together as a happy family, playing softball. Off course they could meet occasionally, and would meet in the crossover events.

She was ascending to White Phoenix of the Crown, and saves mutantkind by manipulating reality to cause Hope's birth.
    Deux ex-machina is the name. Could be more useful and safe just get Jean ressurrected

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post

Of course it's regression. Not a single issue the two had was addressed, not a single reason was given, just the two kissed and that's it, and we're supposed to be happy because things are "supposed to be this way" (never mind the fact Scott has spent pretty much as much time separate from her than as a couple, and almost certainly more issues single or with other people). The two were miserable, one had an affair and was going to leave anyway before she died. And relationships, romantic or not, are not there for world building alone, but to generate stories or to add to them. Scott and Jean is literally the worst couple possible in that sense because there is little room for friction and conflict, so it has to be external- either another love triangle or the Phoenix again, which has been happening since the 70's on a regular basis.