Page 102 of 301 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 4503

I think it's pretty clear the current creative team does not want Emma on the X-Men and don't see her as a valuable member to the current team dynamics.

My problem with this is that it's because they think she's too much of a villain, even when she was a hero. But let's not forget both Cyclops and Wolverine were preemptively killing other people... yet they get to be on the X-Men again and look like good guys, yet Emma can't. Totally unfair.

I think the trust the X-Men has for Emma has been ruined, thanks to IvX and recent events. It's been sabotaged by writing, and they're turning her into another Mystique. They've thrown her under the bus, so that the other X-Men who were complicit in the X-Men's formerly "villainous" ways or whatever get off free, including Cyclops' predictable road to redemption.

I don't think we'll ever see Emma and Jean team up again either. We only got that one ghost story that the real Jean possibly doesn't remember. Yet they put Cyclops and Wolverine immediately back together. It's stupid and sexist they can't portray a complicated rivalry between two female characters and avoid the issue altogether and can't do the same for the male characters.

If anyone hasn't noticed, all I do is post negativity on here. I'm very aware of it. LOL. I really need to spend less time putting such negative energy into things. I should probably take a break from comics again. I took a looong break that included when IvX came out, and it was blissful!
    Last edited by ButterRum; 05-29-2019 at 04:15 AM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ButterRum View Post
    I think it's pretty clear the current creative team does not want Emma on the X-Men and don't see her as a valuable member to the current team dynamics.

My problem with this is that it's because they think she's too much of a villain, even when she was a hero. But let's not forget both Cyclops and Wolverine were preemptively killing other people... yet they get to be on the X-Men again and look like good guys, yet Emma can't. Totally unfair.
    There's nothing that explains that except two words: childhood nostalgia. And even that has to ignore that, even back in the 80's, pretty much every single X-men and X-factor member killed Marauders in the Mutant Massacre, Scott had no problems outright killing Sinister in Inferno (both cases they came back, but the X-men didn't know that), Storm and Psylocke had no problems mindwiping Havok and even considered killing him, etc. But childhood nostalgia explains everything, alongside with the fact that generally speaking Marvel's creators are older than the readership- you don't have 20-somethings in the helm writing and editing anymore, but rather middle-aged men nostalgic for the good ol' days.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    There's nothing that explains that except two words: childhood nostalgia. And even that has to ignore that, even back in the 80's, pretty much every single X-men and X-factor member killed Marauders in the Mutant Massacre, Scott had no problems outright killing Sinister in Inferno (both cases they came back, but the X-men didn't know that), Storm and Psylocke had no problems mindwiping Havok and even considered killing him, etc. But childhood nostalgia explains everything, alongside with the fact that generally speaking Marvel's creators are older than the readership- you don't have 20-somethings in the helm writing and editing anymore, but rather middle-aged men nostalgic for the good ol' days.
    When have we ever had fresh 20-year-olds helm writing? Even during the good times, >10 years ago, it was still midldle-aged white men writing and planning the comics.

Anyways, to continue my other post, I don't think I'm ever going to get the Emma Frost back during the Morrison-Whedon era when she was written very well by everyone, including writers who were not Morrison or Whedon. Nobody had an agenda to make her look crazy or paint her as a bad guy so that other characters could look better. They really put an effort into making her co-leader of the X-Men. In House of M, Academy X, New X-Men (with the kids), Civil War -- she was written so well!! It's sad Cyclops was the best and later the worst thing to happen to her character.

In the past year, the closest we got to a well-written Emma Frost was in the Jessica Jones series by Kelly Thompson. She really felt like the Emma that was written so well during the golden age... unfortunately it's not a comic that has any significance to Emma's character development with the X-Men. Also, she was written well in Iceman too, but again, editorial will allow that for those comics since they don't have much significance to the main X-Men events.
    Last edited by ButterRum; 05-29-2019 at 04:24 AM.

When have we ever had fresh 20-year-olds helm writing? Even during the good times, >10 years ago, it was still midldle-aged white men writing and planning the comics.
    Claremont when he first begun writing X-men (25), Shooter when he took over Marvel (27), Byrne when he begun working with Claremont in Uncanny (27), or going to the other Marvel books, Conway when he begun writing Spider-Man (19), Frank Miller when he begun writing Daredevil (24), etc. Even more recently, Bendis was only 32 and 33 when he begun in USM and Daredevil, and Millar around the same age when he begun on Ultimates.

In the past year, the closest we got to a well-written Emma Frost was in the Jessica Jones series by Kelly Thompson. She really felt like the Emma that was written so well during the golden age... unfortunately it's not a comic that has any significance to Emma's character development with the X-Men. Also, she was written well in Iceman too, but again, editorial will allow that for those comics since they don't have much significance to the main X-Men events.
    Also Infinity Wars by Gerry Duggan.

If anyone hasn't noticed, all I do is post negativity on here. I'm very aware of it. LOL. I really need to spend less time putting such negative energy into things. I should probably take a break from comics again. I took a looong break that included when IvX came out, and it was blissful!
    Probably no need to let this current run bother you, regardless of how it ends, as how things will be handled going forward most likely depends on Hickman. But if he chooses to go in a direction you don't find acceptable, then a long break is probably in order.

Hickman has actually written Emma a few times already (emphasis on few), but from those alone it's hard to tell he's a (self-professed) Emma Frost appreciator. I had no idea myself until recently. Will be very interesting to see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Claremont when he first begun writing X-men (25), Shooter when he took over Marvel (27), Byrne when he begun working with Claremont in Uncanny (27), or going to the other Marvel books, Conway when he begun writing Spider-Man (19), Frank Miller when he begun writing Daredevil (24), etc. Even more recently, Bendis was only 32 and 33 when he begun in USM and Daredevil, and Millar around the same age when he begun on Ultimates.
    Oh, I see. Well, yeah, I guess they are continuing with the recycled, old writers writing comics. It's an obvious boys club with a few female writers getting to write female-led comics here and there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Probably no need to let this current run bother you, regardless of how it ends, as how things will be handled going forward most likely depends on Hickman. But if he chooses to go in a direction you don't find acceptable, then a long break is probably in order.

Hickman has actually written Emma a few times already (emphasis on few), but from those alone it's hard to tell he's a (self-professed) Emma Frost appreciator. I had no idea myself until recently. Will be very interesting to see how it goes.
    I remember an alternative earth Emma from Hickman's Time Runs Out that was the leader of the XMen in the Illuminati of that universe. It was a story about universes getting destroyed, until the only 2 universes remainining were 616 and the Ultimate one. Namor destroyed many universes with his cabal.
    I think Hickman likes Emma, and everything getting published until Hickman gets his stuff released will be irrelevant filler to be ignored.

this is a link image to that Emma

https://comparativegeeks.files.wordp...vengers-14.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I remember an alternative earth Emma from Hickman's Time Runs Out that was the leader of the XMen in the Illuminati of that universe. It was a story about universes getting destroyed, until the only 2 universes remainining were 616 and the Ultimate one. Namor destroyed many universes with his cabal.
    I think Hickman likes Emma, and everything getting published until Hickman gets his stuff released will be irrelevant filler to be ignored.

this is a link image to that Emma

https://comparativegeeks.files.wordp...vengers-14.jpg
    Yes, but that alt. Emma and everyone else from her Earth were quickly killed off. She didn't even get a single line.

Most memorable (relatively speaking) Emma written by Hickman was from Fantastic Four 584, where this little scene comes from (and not much else):

He also wrote/scripted Avengers vs X-Men 4 and 6, but those are perhaps not representative as they were plotted by committee (the so-called architects at the time). She got to show some creativity by locating Hope in #4 at least, but mostly played second fiddle to Cyclops.

That's basically it, except for Doom's sex fantasy in Dark Reign Cabal about Emma and She-Loki and the Mrs. Robinson scene starring a Mojoverse lookalike and Sam Guthrie in Astonishing Tales.

AxM #6 was the only written by Hickman, and it was clear by the tone completely different of the rest of the event, which showed the X-men clearly in the right and trying to make the world a better place.

I might be super misreading him but I think Hickman’s very much a “Magneto/Emma/Cyclops is right” sort of X-fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    I might be super misreading him but I think Hickman’s very much a “Magneto/Emma/Cyclops is right” sort of X-fan.
    Hicklord saying that Magnesh is always "of the times" leans more towards loving him while knowing that he's forked up. Which is the ideal perspective for an Erik writer, tbh. Scott's new costume is a Bachalo remix, though, so let us hope he truly does see the light of Rightclops' punch lasers.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Nah, he is, pretty clearly. It truly makes me wonder what AvX would happen if he was the one writing the whole thing, and the fact he didn't reference it at all in his Avengers run, except for Namor attacking Wakanda, is pretty telling. Maybe this explains all the whining about Cyclops in UXM: Rosenberg and JDW are getting one last shot of it, since we know that under Hickman, they'll never have the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Hicklord saying that Magnesh is always "of the times" leans more towards loving him while knowing that he's forked up. Which is the ideal perspective for an Erik writer, tbh. Scott's new costume is a Bachalo remix, though, so let us hope he truly does see the light of Rightclops' punch lasers.
    Instead of “Magneto was Right”, he’s more “Magneto has done some very screwed up stuff, but he has valid points when it comes to his ideology of how the oppressed should fight back.”

Instead of “Magneto was Right”, he’s more “Magneto has done some very screwed up stuff, but he has valid points when it comes to his ideology of how the oppressed should fight back.”
    And I agree with that 110%. It's why I like Emma. She's a teacher, but understands that more powerful methods than education are needed to bring mutantkind rights.