Page 17 of 301 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    A discussion came up yesterday about Emma being brought fully back in the X-Men fold. It's an idea I support and would like to see happen. I'm interested to poll the community to see if there's broad support for this idea. I did a search through some previous threads but this question has never been polled directly, "Do you want to see Emma rejoin the X-Men?". I also think Emma's situation has changed a lot in the last year or so. It makes sense to get a fresh perspective. Please correct me if I missed something in my search, and this has in fact been polled already.

I also recognize that these threads tend to devolve into a lot of Emma bashing. I'd prefer to avoid that by how I word things, but as you know, that doesn't always stop people from saying whatever they want to say. I'd like to hear from Frost fans. Would you prefer I don't go down that road? I think it's an important question, but I'll respect the consensus here either way. I want to promote Emma, but I also want to be respectful to her biggest fans.
    I don't think anyone has made a thread about that. As to the certain people who always get upset if Emma isn't portrayed as the worst character in the history of Marvel, they'll pop up regardless. If you are curious about people's opinions just make a poll and don't get worried about people getting bent out of shape.

BANNED

A discussion came up yesterday about Emma being brought fully back in the X-Men fold. It's an idea I support and would like to see happen. I'm interested to poll the community to see if there's broad support for this idea. I did a search through some previous threads but this question has never been polled directly, "Do you want to see Emma rejoin the X-Men?". I also think Emma's situation has changed a lot in the last year or so. It makes sense to get a fresh perspective. Please correct me if I missed something in my search, and this has in fact been polled already.

I also recognize that these threads tend to devolve into a lot of Emma bashing. I'd prefer to avoid that by how I word things, but as you know, that doesn't always stop people from saying whatever they want to say. I'd like to hear from Frost fans. Would you prefer I don't go down that road? I think it's an important question, but I'll respect the consensus here either way. I want to promote Emma, but I also want to be respectful to her biggest fans.
    I think it's better if we discuss it here.....and honestly I'd rather wait for the Xoffice to clean up because right now their quality is ****.

I did have a thought over the weekend. Emma's Black outfit seems to be the one she uses more when she's involved with the MU, so seeing Emma in black might not be such a bad thing if she's getting better quality stories in the greater marvel universe. Long live the black king indeed.

I would like the Xmen to try to come after Emma only for someone in the HFC to say "I'm sorry, but Ms. Frost has used the HFC to help establish schools for mutant children to learn to control their powers" and then show that actually happening instead of being trained to fight other mutants...it'd be fun for Emma to accomplish what the Xmen haven't done. Most Xaviers kids are just soldiers by another name.
    Last edited by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost; 01-28-2019 at 07:16 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyLookingSort View Post
    Considering the only Emma appearance I have enjoyed recently is the Infinity Wars books, I'm not so sure anymore. X-Men can keep chasing some status quo from 30 years ago while Emma actually gets **** done.
    I agree to the bolded.
    From the solicits, the current X-direction seems boring, rehashed and stale and I would not want Emma to be a part of that, especially now as Black King. Instead, I would love to see her be her own type of hero, doing things her way, regardless of what Scott and Storm or anyone else may think. Not full-on-villain but closer to her character as leader of Generation X. Someone who's not afraid to do what's necessary to "get **** done".

If she remains tied to the X-Men, I would very much prefer to see Emma and her re-branded Hellfire Club as an X-affiliate (for which there is precedent when Storm and Magneto shared White King status)...connected to but not necessarily working directly with the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    I think it's better if we discuss it here.....and honestly I'd rather wait for the Xoffice to clean up because right now their quality is ****.

I did have a thought over the weekend. Emma's Black outfit seems to be the one she uses more when she's involved with the MU, so seeing Emma in black might not be such a bad thing if she's getting better quality stories in the greater marvel universe. Long live the black king indeed.

I would like the Xmen to try to come after Emma only for someone in the HFC to say "I'm sorry, but Ms. Frost has used the HFC to help establish schools for mutant children to learn to control their powers" and then show that actually happening instead of being trained to fight other mutants...it'd be fun for Emma to accomplish what the Xmen haven't done. Most Xaviers kids are just soldiers by another name.
    I love that idea so much. I want Emma to re-open the Massachusetts Academy with a whole new direction for training mutants to cope with their powers. I would love it if the X-Men show up someplace to save people and Emma has her New Hellions already there saving people and working with the police and emergency services. I would love to see Cyclops and Jean's jaws drop when they realize that Emma has her team working with the local police. I like the idea of Emma realizing that she has to play politics with the humans as the best way to help mutants so instead of trying to work as vigilantes she has her group appearing when requested so that she can control the optics.

Like you I don't even want it to be an evil plan, just Emma realizing that she needs to follow a different path in order to save mutants. I like the idea of Emma feeling that Xavier was a control freak and wanting nothing to do with the Xavier school, and I would love it if she proves she can do it better than Xavier ever could. All the while using the Hellfire Club to open outreach centres world wide to help and support mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I am not very interested in seeing Emma in an x-men book in which everybody lives in the mansion and play softball, on the other hand, I think many of the younger xmen should know and like Emma much more than they know and like Kitty or Jean or even Storm. (except for the kids of Aaron, basically Eyeboy and Sharkgirl)
    I'd agree that they'd know Emma better than Jean for instance. Liking her, well, that never really mattered to Emma. And no, I can't imagine her ever playing baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyLookingSort View Post
    Considering the only Emma appearance I have enjoyed recently is the Infinity Wars books, I'm not so sure anymore. X-Men can keep chasing some status quo from 30 years ago while Emma actually gets **** done.
    That's exactly why I think Emma needs to be brought back to the fold. Her perspective and methods are verily unique among the X-Men. I still think they could benefit from her presence, probably a lot more than she'd benefit from theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Drey View Post
    I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't want to see Emma rejoin the X-men, but I feel that her current situation can turn into something amazing. I enjoy Emma as a bigger character, interacting with the Marvel Universe. Her status as Imperial Lord of the Hellfire Club has potential too. Her appearances, while more scarce than what we're used to, have been quality gold.

The X-men are struggling to find their way at the moment, focusing on big events. For now, I'm ok with Emma bouncing around the MU provided we don't have to wait too long in between appearances.
    It could turn out to be amazing. I could also be the first step to her fading into obscurity, or morphing full on into a villian. It's not like she's going to be picked up by the Avengers, or would agree to that anyway. It doesn't give Marvel a lot of options as to where she fits. Occasional anti-hero foil for a superhero team or straight up big bad aren't exactly good long term prospects for a character.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    I don't think anyone has made a thread about that. As to the certain people who always get upset if Emma isn't portrayed as the worst character in the history of Marvel, they'll pop up regardless. If you are curious about people's opinions just make a poll and don't get worried about people getting bent out of shape.
    I think I probably will. I just want to avoid creating another forum for Emma abuse. I recall a thread a while back. I think it was called "Is Emma a Hero?" or something to that effect. IIRC, it got very nasty. I suppose there's really no avoiding it though. I do think there's a lot of support for Emma having a place with the X-Men and she deserves to be the topic of conversation and could use all the visibility she can get.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post

See my point above about why I think it's worth going to the larger community above.

As for her colors, I'll always prefer Emma in white. It does align better with her current role, but I really don't understand the draw of the HFC for Emma. I think by the end of her time there, she despised the inner circle and what they (and the club) stood for. These "fight from inside the belly of the beast" stories never tend to end well.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I agree to the bolded.
    From the solicits, the current X-direction seems boring, rehashed and stale and I would not want Emma to be a part of that, especially now as Black King. Instead, I would love to see her be her own type of hero, doing things her way, regardless of what Scott and Storm or anyone else may think. Not full-on-villain but closer to her character as leader of Generation X. Someone who's not afraid to do what's necessary to "get **** done".

If she remains tied to the X-Men, I would very much prefer to see Emma and her re-branded Hellfire Club as an X-affiliate (for which there is precedent when Storm and Magneto shared White King status)...connected to but not necessarily working directly with the X-Men.
    Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I love that idea so much. I want Emma to re-open the Massachusetts Academy with a whole new direction for training mutants to cope with their powers. I would love it if the X-Men show up someplace to save people and Emma has her New Hellions already there saving people and working with the police and emergency services. I would love to see Cyclops and Jean's jaws drop when they realize that Emma has her team working with the local police. I like the idea of Emma realizing that she has to play politics with the humans as the best way to help mutants so instead of trying to work as vigilantes she has her group appearing when requested so that she can control the optics.

Like you I don't even want it to be an evil plan, just Emma realizing that she needs to follow a different path in order to save mutants. I like the idea of Emma feeling that Xavier was a control freak and wanting nothing to do with the Xavier school, and I would love it if she proves she can do it better than Xavier ever could. All the while using the Hellfire Club to open outreach centres world wide to help and support mutants.
    IMO there's a few really compelling reasons why Emma is better off with the X-Men. She's put her entire life since NXM into the X-Men's mission of protecting mutants. It's deeply depressing to think that now, finally, extinction isn't hanging over their heads and Emma has a chance to get back to teaching, just in time to be shunned by the X-Men. I think she's earned the right to fill that role, and I think the students would be better off for her influence. Emma's pragmatism offers a good counterpoint to Jean's pacifistic approach. Given that Scott appears to be reverting to a more traditional bend, I think there's a real case to be made that Emma can offer the students a more rounded education with her presence than without.

Being in the X-Men fold should also allow us to bury at least part of the triangle. I think it's more likely Marvel keeps playing with this if Emma's a character they can just parachute in as a guest. If she's a permanent part of the team, you can't really use this as a recurring theme which I think is best for everyone involved. I think there's real potential for developing Jean, Emma and Scott into a compelling team dynamic of Mentor\Teacher\Field Leader once their personal drama has been put to bed, hopefully for good.

As I mentioned above, I'm actually concerned about Emma's long term viability as a character is she stays out of a team book for too long. I don't see Marvel casting Emma and the Mass Academy as a competent "competitor" to the X-Men. I think its more likely that over the mid to long term, she falls further and further down the villain hole until she ends up at direct odds with the X-Men. This isn't a good position for her and I just don't trust the X-Office to manage her properly if she isn't clearly in the "hero" column.

Emma makes the X-Men more fun and compelling. The X-Men keep Emma relevant while still allowing her to focus on teaching. Everyone wins.

BANNED

I think it would be fun too for the Xmen to learn that there are a lot of other organizations that help mutants not just Xaviers. As persecuted as mutants are it's logical to think that there would be MORE than one option/school ....That one girl they brought back from Spain was killed within a few weeks. With social media these days people HAVE to know that Xavier's is a deathtrap lol.

What exactly about fighting a sentinel is going to help a kid learn how to control their powers and live a normal life in society?

[QUOTE=Ulfhammer;4166083]As I mentioned above, I'm actually concerned about Emma's long term viability as a character is she stays out of a team book for too long. I don't see Marvel casting Emma and the Mass Academy as a competent "competitor" to the X-Men. I think its more likely that over the mid to long term, she falls further and further down the villain hole until she ends up at direct odds with the X-Men. This isn't a good position for her and I just don't trust the X-Office to manage her properly if she isn't clearly in the "hero" column./QUOTE]

This is my big concern. I'm not too big of a fan of where the X-books were post IvX, and I don't know if I am a big fan of where they are headed, but I don't really see what else they would do. Her getting a hellfire book, or joining a team outside of the X-books feels so unlikely that I can't even really consider them happening. And i don't rally see how the guest appearances work in her favor. The only way that I can see Emma going in a direction is if she joins the X-men.

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

I sincerely pray this very ideal become a reality in a very near future
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account

Even if she remains one of the X-Men, we can't say that she'll be handled/managed properly...as we've seen over the past few years. Personally, I don't trust the current writers to do her character justice.
    And going by what we've been given so far, realistically speaking, I don't think the X-editors have any inclination to keep her on as an X-Men hero of high standing because their attitude towards her have shifted completely. So, at best, she'll get a role as an occasional, recurring antagonist (as the Black Queen) or completely ignored by the X-Office, at worst.

That's why, like RachelGrey and others, I'm hoping that they allow her to go off and do her own thing so that whoever writes her can just focus on her character ad her motivations without having to consider her relationships and ties with the other X-Men as being one of the X-Heroes.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 01-28-2019 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Even if she remains one of the X-Men, we can't say that she'll be handled/managed properly...as we've seen over the past few years. Personally, I don't trust the current writers to do her character justice.
    And going by what we've been given so far, realistically speaking, I don't think the X-editors have any inclination to keep her on as an X-Men hero of high standing because their attitude towards her have shifted completely. So, at best, she'll get a role as an occasional, recurring antagonist (as the Black Queen) or completely ignored by the X-Office, at worst.
    I agree. But that's true for every X-Men. To me it's about her long term survival as a character. The vast majority of X-Men who've fallen off team books for significant periods rarely ever made a reappearance.

Regardless of what the X-Office plan is today, new bodies will come in and take over eventually. I'd rather have Emma in play when that happens, rather than her last ongoing team appearance being what, 2015? She's already been out of circulation too long. Marvel's caved on a few things in the last few years so it is possible to change their minds.

I agree. But that's true for every X-Men. To me it's about her long term survival as a character. The vast majority of X-Men who've fallen off team books for significant periods rarely ever made a reappearance.

Regardless of what the X-Office plan is today, new bodies will come in and take over eventually. I'd rather have Emma in play when that happens, rather than her last ongoing team appearance being what, 2015? She's already been out of circulation too long. Marvel's caved on a few things in the last few years so it is possible to change their minds.
    I don't see it happening as long JDW is in charge. If anything, I expect the nostalgia era to continue, with characters very rarely deviating from the 90s norm.

A character's long-term survival is mainly dependent on the writers, not just that character's appearance and role in a book.
    What's the point of Emma being an X-Man if she's just written as Telepathic Cell-phone or Bitchy Drama Queen or Diamond-studded Wall-paper? And not even written well, in those limiting capacities. Yes, she's visible but she might as well be invisible if the writer isn't invested in her.
    If I can say one thing about the Utopia era, Fraction was wholly invested in her, albeit as Cyclops' emotional crutch, still, she was front and centre.
    Now? Not so much, if at all.

Spectacular Member

I would like her back. I do not care for her role as a Black King. So dumb. Why did editorial cast her off two years ago as if she was never a major player all these years, anyhow?

Quote Originally Posted by comicbookfan5878 View Post
    I would like her back. I do not care for her role as a Black King. So dumb. Why did editorial cast her off two years ago as if she was never a major player all these years, anyhow?
    Because they want to reset the status quo to 1989-1991. So everyone who progressed during that time gets reverted.

Yes if like her back being an X-Men. Too many homogenous personalities without her