Page 18 of 301 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Y'know now that she's the new Black King I've been brainstorming an idea of her wearing a black suit with slicked back chin length hair and having an androgynous look. Kind of like what you'd see in an Annie Lennox video.

Classic HFC look is so cool it would freeze you before a minute lin antartica.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Yes if like her back being an X-Men. Too many homogenous personalities without her
    Even the "bad guys" like Magneto, Sabertooth are SO saccharine and boring.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Even the "bad guys" like Magneto, Sabertooth are SO saccharine and boring.
    Even the regression of Cyclops. It's like they did not have enough care bears so they reverted him so that all the X-Men can think and sound the same

Even the regression of Cyclops. It's like they did not have enough care bears so they reverted him so that all the X-Men can think and sound the same
    I guess is a response to Schism in a way and I get that, they want the X-Men to seem less divided. But part of what made this superhero soap opera interesting was that they never agreed. From Magneto's reasoning being understandable to 'Professor Xavier is a jerk!' there's always been divide and that was interesting. I just don't have anything to cling to here cause there's no real conflict. Except stupidly manufacture ones like Dissembled' ... plot. Let's call it that.

That's kinda my concern about Emma returning to the X-Men now. I'm not sure how they would write her in this era.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Personally...I have had enough division, between individuals and groups. The last decade of Marvel can be summed up in that one word..."Divided". That shyt got old and tired right after the first Civil War event. Let's be honest...Schism was an absolute rubbish waste of time.
    Forget all the senseless interpersonal conflicts of this one VS that one, me Vs you, and just get back to the collective goal of Superheroes VS Villains.
    They don't have to agree 100% over the methodology or characters involved (there is your desired "conflict") but just recognise the bigger picture and be on the same damn page getting there.

Heroes vs villains is monopolized by the Avengers and I can't see the X-Men given the opportunity to outflank them. The X-men excel at debate in Philosophy which is why conflict is good in the x-verse. The last few years have been crap because they've tried to undermine one side and it backfired. The O5 , Amazing X-Men, watxm probably one of the worst eras of writing

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    I don't see it happening as long JDW is in charge. If anything, I expect the nostalgia era to continue, with characters very rarely deviating from the 90s norm.
    JDW has also stated that his personal opinion should not effect the direction of the X-Line. If that's true then it really comes down to what pitches come his way. I'd like to think their's a writer out there that has some good ideas for Emma.

BANNED

Heroes vs villains is monopolized by the Avengers and I can't see the X-Men given the opportunity to outflank them. The X-men excel at debate in Philosophy which is why conflict is good in the x-verse. The last few years have been crap because they've tried to undermine one side and it backfired. The O5 , Amazing X-Men, watxm probably one of the worst eras of writing
    The focus has been internal conflict between members within the team...The philosophy line is good, but there isn't an alternative to Xaviers at the moment. Magneto setup his own brotherhood & Asteroid M, but then is suddenly still with the Xmen. A lot of the villains are being softened into good guys and not even in a gray area.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    JDW has also stated that his personal opinion should not effect the direction of the X-Line. If that's true then it really comes down to what pitches come his way. I'd like to think their's a writer out there that has some good ideas for Emma.
    Sina Grace nor Hickman nor Brian Wood were blocked from using Emma. And Emma wasn't being used to do anything of significance at any of those times

Editorial interference does matter

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    A character's long-term survival is mainly dependent on the writers, not just that character's appearance and role in a book.
    What's the point of Emma being an X-Man if she's just written as Telepathic Cell-phone or Bitchy Drama Queen or Diamond-studded Wall-paper? And not even written well, in those limiting capacities. Yes, she's visible but she might as well be invisible if the writer isn't invested in her.
    If I can say one thing about the Utopia era, Fraction was wholly invested in her, albeit as Cyclops' emotional crutch, still, she was front and centre.
    Now? Not so much, if at all.
    That's kind of my point. Out of sight, out of mind. As fans we may not forget about her, but I think writers tend to want to work with more prominent characters than less prominent characters and even if they do, it's as a small part of a team book. I'd still suggest Emma's a prominent character, but that will decrease the less she is used.

Keeping her on an onging keeps her relevant, regardless of how badly she may be written. All that said, I just enjoy her more in a uniform with an X on it. To me Emma was always more compelling as bad girl with a good heart. It's the contrast with the other X-Men that puts her in relief. It gives her an edge and an angle that Storm or Jean or Kitty just can't bring. Not much more I can say there, just my preference.

Sina Grace nor Hickman nor Brian Wood were blocked from using Emma. And Emma wasn't being used to do anything of significance at any of those times

Editorial interference does matter
    Respectfully, would you cite a source? I'm not questioning what you're saying, but I'd like to dig into that a bit. In the realm of a simpler solution, it could have just been bad pitches or it could have conflicted with something JDW had already approved. Hickman would have been interesting since I'd trust him to do something noteworthy with Emma and co.

Respectfully, would you cite a source? I'm not questioning what you're saying, but I'd like to dig into that a bit. In the realm of a simpler solution, it could have just been bad pitches or it could have conflicted with something JDW had already approved. Hickman would have been interesting since I'd trust him to do something noteworthy with Emma and co.
    If you Google it you'll probably find it. They were all from interviews and to be honest it's common knowledge on these boards and time consuming looking for interviews from years ago. Sins is the most recent and probably findable. Sins Grace was blocked from using Emma in his first Iceman series. He stated that and repeated that as he then got to tell the same story in season 2.

Hickman wanted to use Emma instead of Beast in his Illuminati story. And was blocked.

And Emma was an original member of Woods X-women team but blocked.

None of them.affected the stories. And Emma wasn't doing anything of Bendis team to warrant being blocked. Or doing anything when sina was blocked.

If you Google it you'll probably find it. They were all from interviews and to be honest it's common knowledge on these boards and time consuming looking for interviews from years ago. Sins is the most recent and probably findable. Sins Grace was blocked from using Emma in his first Iceman series. He stated that and repeated that as he then got to tell the same story in season 2.

Hickman wanted to use Emma instead of Beast in his Illuminati story. And was blocked.

And Emma was an original member of Woods X-women team but blocked.

None of them.affected the stories. And Emma wasn't doing anything of Bendis team to warrant being blocked. Or doing anything when sina was blocked.
    Okay, so all this predates JDW as group editor then. Wood's X-Men was 2013 wasn't it? Wasn't Emma still reeling from AvX consequences fallout at that point. I can understand why she might not fit on an X-Team haven't just been busted out of jail and on the run, with busted powers.

Okay, so all this predates JDW as group editor then. Wood's X-Men was 2013 wasn't it? Wasn't Emma still reeling from AvX consequences fallout at that point. I can understand why she might not fit on an X-Team haven't just been busted out of jail and on the run, with busted powers.
    I don't think Sina predates JDW. Woods was and that was well into Bendis run.

In any event Editor mandates matter.

The Woods block makes sense as it wouldnt have made sense at all for Emma to be a member of that book given the AvX fallout and her roll in Bendis' book.

Sina does predate JDW. JDW's material didnt start to get released until Oct/Nov of last year. Iceman v2 was during ResurrXion which was before JDW took over