Page 110 of 167 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114120160 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 2505
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    It's too small. I can't make out any of the dialogue. Do you have a bigger version of that picture?

Edit: same deal with the new picture you edited in: I can't make out any of the dialogue; too small.
    In on my iPad at the moment. Will repost later using my laptop when I can use the pic links.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    They are together in the this month in Captain Marvel #9
    I guess she'll be telling Rhodey how bad Tony is and it's either her or Tony.

This should be the break up issue.

Just to show what is actually possible when the writer puts in some effort, here is a decent bit if Tony and Carol characterisation from last years Life Of Captain Marvel.

Attachment 85998

By Margaret Stohl. Not the current CM writer Kelly Thompson, who has the girls dumping on Tony and stealing his stuff.

Edit: also this, same issue

Attachment 85999
    I managed to read some of it.

It's better but still doesn't show Carol apologizing.

But I guess that's the closest we'll get to a respectful encounter.

Again, The Strip Club Dichotomy. A male character who has sex with multiple consenting female partners is sleazy and disrespectful to women.

Now to be fair, this affects women as well, but the difference is people will come to the defence of a female character being slut shamed. Tony being s guy though, female characters are allowed to label him a man-slut at will, no matter how many times he’s saved the world from the Mandarin.
    Yes it's a lot. And apparently a good enough reason for female characters to treat him with less respect.

From my point of view it's backlash, pure and simple. For years Tony was shown as a bit of a James Bond type, viewing women as sources of fun and pleasure but rarely as equals.

So now, writers turn the tables and have the female characters treat him as less worthy of respect. Couple that with the tendency to show him as a bit of and egomaniac and it's the ladies' role to take him down a peg.

As an example, in the recent Captain Marvel issue Jessica Drew steals his flying car to help Carol Danvers. She was in the building and could have just ASKED for it, but it's more fun to steal it, joke about it at his expense, and really stick it to him. Never mind the guy is among the four smartest people with tech on the planet and should be able to protect his stuff - girl power high five and "Tony am dumb man get owned ha ha."

It's equality of discrimination, the very worst kind of equality. Rather than have the characters be more open and understanding and respectful of each other, we will just swap which side gets treated like crap. While at the same time amping up Tony's perceived shortcomings as justification.
    I think part of it is in response to the #metoo movement where women are a lot more self-conscious or guarded around men who constantly flirt with or hit on them or other women, and add in Tony's big ego and it makes him an easy target, even if anyone who really knows him would realize that he truly and deeply cares and respects women.
    Just to show what is actually possible when the writer puts in some effort, here is a decent bit if Tony and Carol characterisation from last years Life Of Captain Marvel.

Attachment 85998

By Margaret Stohl. Not the current CM writer Kelly Thompson, who has the girls dumping on Tony and stealing his stuff.

Attachment 85999
    Yeah, their interaction in this series was so out-of-sorts with how they were characterized outside of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    The only one he was actually allowed to defeat in that story was Daredevil, which tells you how little Marvel thinks of him.
    It only lasted 9 issues. He transformed San Francisco into his own playground and had crime stopped. If they would have had more issues. He would have been able to have a wider effect on the world which is what he was doing when the series came to an end.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Attachment 85998

Attachment 85999
    Are these post CW II crap?

Oh and btw, what does Rhodey see in Carol? She sent Tony into a coma, shoulda been a done deal.
    Last edited by BitParallel; 08-20-2019 at 06:19 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    Oh and btw, what does Rhodey see in Carol? She sent Tony into a coma, shoulda been a done deal.
    Given some of the huge fights Rhodey and Tony have had over the years, and how pissed off Rhodey has been with Tony at times, I don't think that would be a deal breaker. There were times Rhodey wanted to punch Tony into a coma himself.

They were also already a couple before Civil War II. Actually, the Carol/Rhodey relationship is a factor in why the Tony-vs-Carol arguments in that story got so personal. Both of them were grieving for Rhodey--and both of them partly blamed the other for his death at the start of that event.

As for what Carol and Rhodey see in each other, its actually their mutual friendship with Tony that would have brought them together in the first place. With both of them being pilots and both of them having military background, they have enough common ground that they eventually got together...although most of the development of that relationship happened off-panel. I am glad that Kelly Thompson is actually giving the Carol/Rhodey relationship some proper panel time in the current run.

The reason T & C are close friends who also butt heads every two seconds like newborn kittens since Busiek's Iron Man is because writers have turned them into foils with friction-driving similarities.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Given some of the huge fights Rhodey and Tony have had over the years, and how pissed off Rhodey has been with Tony at times, I don't think that would be a deal breaker. There were times Rhodey wanted to punch Tony into a coma himself.

They were also already a couple before Civil War II. Actually, the Carol/Rhodey relationship is a factor in why the Tony-vs-Carol arguments in that story got so personal. Both of them were grieving for Rhodey--and both of them partly blamed the other for his death at the start of that event.

As for what Carol and Rhodey see in each other, its actually their mutual friendship with Tony that would have brought them together in the first place. With both of them being pilots and both of them having military background, they have enough common ground that they eventually got together...although most of the development of that relationship happened off-panel. I am glad that Kelly Thompson is actually giving the Carol/Rhodey relationship some proper panel time in the current run.
    I only recall one time that Tony and Rhodey had dispute, the time when Rhodey was Iron Man. Rhodey should learn bros before hoes. Lel

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The reason T & C are close friends who also butt heads every two seconds like newborn kittens since Busiek's Iron Man is because writers have turned them into foils with friction-driving similarities.

Butting and arguing is normal.

But sending each other to coma, and constantly disrespecting is a no no

They only even fought in Civil War II because Hydra Cap manipulated them both when they were emotionally vulnerable post-Rhodey. I'd be more upset at him than a friend if I were them.

I only recall one time that Tony and Rhodey had dispute, the time when Rhodey was Iron Man. Rhodey should learn bros before hoes. Lel
    They have had more than that fight. They have butted heads a few times, but they are brothers. So they always get back in each other’s life’s.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Extraordinary Member

Yes, from Secret Empire.

Of course, the person Carol is talking to is in a coma. She’s never said this out loud to anyone else.

And bizarrely, even her admission includes a jab at Tony. The words “Tony was right and I should have listened to him” don’t seem possible for her.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

They only even fought in Civil War II because Hydra Cap manipulated them both when they were emotionally vulnerable post-Rhodey. I'd be more upset at him than a friend if I were them.
    Her behaviour post CW II is what’s frustrating.

You’d be upset at Tony?

Her behaviour post CW II is what’s frustrating.

You’d be upset at Tony?
    Nah, Hydra Steve. He caused the whole thing. Got Bruce killed and kept baiting everyone.