Page 57 of 167 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by okiedokiewo View Post
    ...he was implied to be a glory hog out killing civilians, who then had to be protected by Captain America, in the first issue. Saying neither one is shown to be "wrong" is completely false when Cap is literally described as being the only "sane superhero" who is "saving lives on both sides." Now we see the July solicit, this series' "Civil War," where a superhero will be dead. Hmm, guess who?
    He's called the "only sane superhero" by Reed, who is himself portrayed in a deeply unflattering light so that doesn't exactly rate as a ringing endorsement. Peter calls Reed out for his coldness and lack of humanity so it's not like Dzarsky is having someone above reproach speak to Cap's heroism and Tony's lack thereof.

Peter's own feelings towards the war aren't clear. If anything, he seems more inclined to be on Tony's side in wondering whether it's his responsibility to use his powers to affect an end to the war.

There's been plenty of complaints about Tony's depiction in the series and its ignoring of existing comic history, and in the Invaders. But I have no desire to argue with someone about a comic writer's shitty work in an appreciation thread.
    The basis on which you think it's shitty writing is so absurd (characters are complicated and the lines between right and wrong aren't always clear = character assassination) that, I agree, it's not worth discussing.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    He's called the "only sane superhero" by Reed, who is himself portrayed in a deeply unflattering light so that doesn't exactly rate as a ringing endorsement. Peter calls Reed out for his coldness and lack of humanity so it's not like Dzarsky is having someone above reproach speak to Cap's heroism and Tony's lack thereof.

Peter's own feelings towards the war aren't clear. If anything, he seems more inclined to be on Tony's side in wondering whether it's his responsibility to use his powers to affect an end to the war.

The basis on which you think it's shitty writing is so absurd (characters are complicated and the lines between right and wrong aren't always clear = character assassination) that, I agree, it's not worth discussing.
    Characters can't be "complicated" when by your own comment Tony doesn't have any dialogue. That's a huge red flag right there. We don't get his thoughts or motivations to understand where he's coming from. But we do get Steve's. Funny, that.

The tweets from Kurt Busiek about what Tony was actually doing during this era should be included.

Spider-Man: Life Story - Captain American needs to protect civilians (including women and children) from glory-hog Iron Man
    Actual Iron-Man comics from that period - Iron Man openly weeping at seeing what weapons he’d made and sold did in Vietnam, and turn away from arms manufacturing.

But, no, nothing wrong with the depiction there.
    Last edited by okiedokiewo; 04-18-2019 at 08:32 PM.

I refuse to read anything else by Chip Zdarsky, and the cover of that issue lets me know that's a good decision. He's on a roll of character assassination and/or shitty writing of Tony to prop up Steve in this book and that Spider-Man series he's on. (Judging by the July solicit for that, Tony will also appear, so Zdarsky has him continuing to play the role of villain in two of his books.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Agreed. He's on my blacklist.
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    The Invaders portrayal is the worst, imo. He's portrayed as a warmonger, which flies in the face of Stark's entire progression into a hero. It's the equivalent of portraying Spider-Man as a narcissistic fame-whore because that's what Peter Parker was at the beginning of his first character-arc into a hero.
    Exactly. Zdarsky is completely disrespectful to Tony's history and character in both books.
    WOW! I didn't even know Tony was in Invaders. I'll have to go back and flip through them when I go back to the shop. I can see you guys have strong feelings against his use of Tony.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    WOW! I didn't even know Tony was in Invaders. I'll have to go back and flip through them when I go back to the shop. I can see you guys have strong feelings against his use of Tony.
    He's not in it a lot...just enough to be mischaracterized because apparently no one else could fill that role.

He's not in it a lot...just enough to be mischaracterized because apparently no one else could fill that role.
    Yeah. That is not sounding good to me.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

And, hey, if you don't have enough Tony and Steve fighting in July already, here's this...with Steve-ish and Tony-ish.

SECRET WARPS: SOLDIER SUPREME ANNUAL #1
    AL EWING & MARK WAID (W)
    CARLOS GOMEZ & ALEX LINS (A)
    Cover by CARLOS GOMEZ
    Connecting Variant Cover by CARLOS PACHECO
    “SECRET WARPS,” PART 1 – ACTS OF WAR!
    • As the villains of Warp World trade foes, it begins a rift between Soldier Supreme and Iron Hammer that could tear the super hero community in half!
    • But could this criminal conspiracy be the portent of a much bigger cosmic calamity?
    • PLUS: A bonus tale of Soldier Supreme versus Baroness Umar for the fate of our nation!
    40 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

SECRET WARPS: IRON HAMMER ANNUAL #1
    AL EWING & TINI HOWARD (W) • CARLOS GOMEZ & ARIO ANANDITO (A) • Cover by CARLOS GOMEZ
    Connecting Variant Cover by CARLOS PACHECO
    “SECRET WARPS,” PART 5 – SECRET WARPS!
    • Whatever has been causing worlds to smash together is out of control…and starts smashing Warp Worlds heroes into one another!
    • As the heroes begin turning into strange new amalgamations, can even Ghost Hammer turn things back to normal?
    • PLUS: A bonus tale of Sigurd Stark battling the twin wolves of addiction and Fenris the god devourer!
    40 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

tv spot new gif

Yikes. Disrespecting Tony Stark like that. Despicable!

iMan 42s

So I was just on Youtube and I found a pretty good dub.
    Somebody put Markiplier's voice over some footage in the first Iron man movie and it's great. Is it kind of weird I'd actually like to see Markiplier play an Iron man character now?
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Fan recreation animadeTHANOS vs. IRON MAN, THOR & CAPTAIN AMERICA | Avengers: ENDGAME (Alternate Fight) (Fan animation/no spoiler)

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    I am so worried about what’s going to happen to Tony it’s not even funny.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Another really good poster. Thanks for sharing.