View Poll Results: Favorite Avengers Epic??

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Kree-Skrull War

2 1.75%
  • Celestial Madonna Saga

8 7.02%
  • Korvac Saga

12 10.53%
  • Cross-Time Kang War

3 2.63%
  • Under Siege

11 9.65%
  • Operation: Galactic Storm

7 6.14%
  • Avengers Forever

21 18.42%
  • Ultron Unlimited

7 6.14%
  • Avengers Disassembled

4 3.51%
  • House of M

2 1.75%
  • Infinity

15 13.16%
  • Civil war II

0 0%
  • Secret Empire

5 4.39%
  • No Surrender

9 7.89%
  • Other—band the Gigis.

8 7.02%
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Cool news for the FCBD issue.

https://freecomicbookday.com/Article/225880

Pretty awesome to see Blade still with the group on the cover - maybe that means he'll be sticking around past the Vampire War.

Also, Caselli's art is always a welcome sight. Will look forward to seeing what story Aaron has cooked up for him to illustrate.

With how FCBD stories usually are, I expect this will feed into the next big arc for Aaron.

Really stoked to see what Duggan and Deodato have planned. Sounds like a new Avengers title from those two. As Duggan's Uncanny Avengers was one of my favorite Avengers runs, I'm all for giving him a new Avengers book to run with. And the description of Duggan's team as being "the most unique, dynamic, and deadly versions of the Avengers ever" certainly piques my interest!

Can't wait to hear more!
    In agreement here. Looking forward to the FCBD issue. Glad to see Blade still with the team. Big things look to be coming a head.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Spectacular Member

when it comes to the vote i did other (it was close very tempted by Under Siege) but I can still feel the excitement I got when i picked up each issue of the Gatherers storyline (harras/epting/palmer) from the 90s. Everything about that arc was amazing, Sersi/Dane/Crystal, the return of captain america (the point where it struck me how much I missed Steve), evil vision, the whole lot. It was a most under rated arc.

gatherers.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by maklelin highbain View Post
    when it comes to the vote i did other (it was close very tempted by Under Siege) but I can still feel the excitement I got when i picked up each issue of the Gatherers storyline (harras/epting/palmer) from the 90s. Everything about that arc was amazing, Sersi/Dane/Crystal, the return of captain america (the point where it struck me how much I missed Steve), evil vision, the whole lot. It was a most under rated arc.

gatherers.jpg
    Yeah, I don't think that era got as much appreciation as it should have. Maybe because the 90's got so much hate after the fact or whatever, but the story was epic and the art was super solid. It's a shame that whole era basically got swept under the rug.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, I don't think that era got as much appreciation as it should have. Maybe because the 90's got so much hate after the fact or whatever, but the story was epic and the art was super solid. It's a shame that whole era basically got swept under the rug.
    This era appears to be getting the “epic collection” treatment slowly but surely.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    This era appears to be getting the “epic collection” treatment slowly but surely.
    I’m all for this. Harras’ era gets **** on far too much.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

I recently re-read the Bob Harras issues and I found them better than what I first thought of them. They were certainly better than the recent Mark Waid run. One problem that I had was the underuse of Black Widow. She sends the team out on missions but stays back at the headquarters. During Operation Galactic Storm she stayed on Earth. She tends to disappear in the fight scenes.
    I enjoyed what I was reading up to Avengers #390. The issues after that were totally messed up and I no longer liked the art.

Extraordinary Member

I also like Harras's run up until Steve Epting leaves. The era gets a bad reputation because of the bomber jackets (which were dumb) and a cast that maybe had too many B- and C-listers even by Avengers standards. But Harras/Epting brought some quality back to a title that had been pretty weak ever since Mark Gruenwald made the big mistake of firing Roger Stern. And though Harras inherited most of the cast he did some good things with characters like Sersi, and put his own stamp on the team by adding Crystal. Harras really seemed to like Quicksilver and Crystal, but also, adding a young mother and a baby and her nanny to the Avengers was something we hadn't really seen before, at least not on a regular basis.

Obviously it was influenced a lot by Harras's work with the X-Men, with all the soap opera romance and time travel and constant teasing of stories to come (some of which never even happened) but up until The Crossing that was mostly a good thing, because it brought back some of the soap opera that the title had been known for in the '70s and mostly lost in the Stern/Gruenwald era which had more of an emphasis on the pressures of running a team.

What is this from? I’ve never heard of this storyline.
    https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/aveng...der/1120134638
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    What is this from? I’ve never heard of this storyline.
    https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/aveng...der/1120134638
    It's a 2015 graphic novel that sets up the Pym/Ultron stuff for Duggan's work.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member

That's an in-continuity graphic novel Marvel released in 2015 to coincide with the release of the second Avengers movie. Rick Remender wrote it and it takes place after Secret Wars, with what would probably have been the cast of Uncanny Avengers if Remender hadn't quit Marvel soon after this graphic novel came out.

Its main focus is on Hank Pym, Vision, Ultron and a few other characters (Starfox has an important role), and the fallout from the story has been dealt with in some other books after Remender left, while other stuff was probably building up to storylines he didn't wind up doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    It's a 2015 graphic novel that sets up the Pym/Ultron stuff for Duggan's work.
    Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    That's an in-continuity graphic novel Marvel released in 2015 to coincide with the release of the second Avengers movie. Rick Remender wrote it and it takes place after Secret Wars, with what would probably have been the cast of Uncanny Avengers if Remender hadn't quit Marvel soon after this graphic novel came out.

Its main focus is on Hank Pym, Vision, Ultron and a few other characters (Starfox has an important role), and the fallout from the story has been dealt with in some other books after Remender left, while other stuff was probably building up to storylines he didn't wind up doing.
    Thanks, guys. Is it any good? Should I pick it up?
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

I really like it.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I really like it.
    Thanks. I’ll check it out. I love Opena on the Avengers.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post

Notably, it turned out to be part of the backstory for Unstoppable Wasp. When we first met Nadia in a FCBD comic, she tried to find her father, and instead found a newspaper reporting his death, which happened in that Rage of Ultron OGN.

And in retrospect, that can't be the Unity Squad. Sam Wilson, Vision, and Jane Foster are all there - and all of them were on the ANAD Avengers instead. Why would the plans for that book have changed? Sabertooth was there too, and he ended up in Uncanny X-Men.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-03-2019 at 03:36 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I recently re-read the Bob Harras issues and I found them better than what I first thought of them. They were certainly better than the recent Mark Waid run. One problem that I had was the underuse of Black Widow. She sends the team out on missions but stays back at the headquarters. During Operation Galactic Storm she stayed on Earth. She tends to disappear in the fight scenes.
    I enjoyed what I was reading up to Avengers #390. The issues after that were totally messed up and I no longer liked the art.
    Honestly I find it believable that Black Widow would refrain from being on the front lines as much as other Avengers.

Firstly you don't necessarily want the person in charge being in the front. And secondly, with all due respect she's not the biggest baddest dog in the fight. Batman at times will do the same thing in the JLA. He knows his ability to coordinate things is often more valuable than his ability to punch at kick things in higher level threat situations.