View Poll Results: Favorite Avengers Epic??

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Kree-Skrull War

2 1.75%
  • Celestial Madonna Saga

8 7.02%
  • Korvac Saga

12 10.53%
  • Cross-Time Kang War

3 2.63%
  • Under Siege

11 9.65%
  • Operation: Galactic Storm

7 6.14%
  • Avengers Forever

21 18.42%
  • Ultron Unlimited

7 6.14%
  • Avengers Disassembled

4 3.51%
  • House of M

2 1.75%
  • Infinity

15 13.16%
  • Civil war II

0 0%
  • Secret Empire

5 4.39%
  • No Surrender

9 7.89%
  • Other—band the Gigis.

8 7.02%
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I also like Harras's run up until Steve Epting leaves. The era gets a bad reputation because of the bomber jackets (which were dumb) and a cast that maybe had too many B- and C-listers even by Avengers standards. But Harras/Epting brought some quality back to a title that had been pretty weak ever since Mark Gruenwald made the big mistake of firing Roger Stern. And though Harras inherited most of the cast he did some good things with characters like Sersi, and put his own stamp on the team by adding Crystal. Harras really seemed to like Quicksilver and Crystal, but also, adding a young mother and a baby and her nanny to the Avengers was something we hadn't really seen before, at least not on a regular basis.

Obviously it was influenced a lot by Harras's work with the X-Men, with all the soap opera romance and time travel and constant teasing of stories to come (some of which never even happened) but up until The Crossing that was mostly a good thing, because it brought back some of the soap opera that the title had been known for in the '70s and mostly lost in the Stern/Gruenwald era which had more of an emphasis on the pressures of running a team.
    Yeah, he added soap opera elements... and honestly I think he made it work. Especially for B level characters that don't have their own books and likely never will, that sort of world building can be invaluable to the long term sucess of the character. I frankly think we should have more of that in comics, in moderation at least.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    That's an in-continuity graphic novel Marvel released in 2015 to coincide with the release of the second Avengers movie. Rick Remender wrote it and it takes place after Secret Wars, with what would probably have been the cast of Uncanny Avengers if Remender hadn't quit Marvel soon after this graphic novel came out.

Its main focus is on Hank Pym, Vision, Ultron and a few other characters (Starfox has an important role), and the fallout from the story has been dealt with in some other books after Remender left, while other stuff was probably building up to storylines he didn't wind up doing.
    Too bad Rememder left and the Avengers went in a different direction. I thought that particular cast of Avengers was fun.

Like to get people's thoughts on this list.
    https://www.newsarama.com/43756-the-...-avengers.html
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    No Secret Empire? A series with two entire acts revolving around mopey Avengers?
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Valid point there. Secret Empire cost Waid's Avengers their headquarters, the Baxter Building, which was shared with Parker Industries. Spider-Man ended up leaving the team between the two following arcs, Worlds Collide and No Surrender. The Unity Squad was affected too. Deadpool left, and ended up unwittingly working for the Hydra imposter version of Captain America.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Nice list. But what about Under Siege, Quicksilver's betrayal from the mid-80's and the court-martial of Yellowjacket (Hank Pym). Do those three count?
    Last edited by K7P5V; 02-06-2019 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Nice list. But what about Under Siege, Quicksilver's betrayal from the mid-80's and the court-martial of Yellowjacket (Hank Pym). Do those three count?
    I was asking myself the same question.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

The fact that Disassembled topped this list, shows this list is garbage.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Valid point there. Secret Empire cost Waid's Avengers their headquarters, the Baxter Building, which was shared with Parker Industries. Spider-Man ended up leaving the team between the two following arcs, Worlds Collide and No Surrender. The Unity Squad was affected too. Deadpool left, and ended up unwittingly working for the Hydra imposter version of Captain America.
    Don't forget Wanda got possessed for the umpteenth time, Thor helped kill an entire, innocent, alien race, and Vision got brainwashed too I think .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And now Deadpool is a partial amnesiac and Russia has their own superhero team.

Good for you, Spencer.

And I mean unironically. I enjoyed Secret Empire.

I pray to Spencer every morning and every night.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Don't forget Wanda got possessed for the umpteenth time, Thor helped kill an entire, innocent, alien race, and Vision got brainwashed too I think .
    Yeah, he was. Waid's Avengers team actually ended up completely suspending operations, as they were down to just Hercules. Sam Wilson went AWOL, Jane Foster was captured (one of the Avengers tie-in issues was effectively a Mighty Thor solo issue) and Nadia ended up in Black Widow's New Red Room, with five of her future Champions teammates. Spider-Man was out of the country (he came back in time to deal with Superior Octopus, but doing so caused PI to fall), and Vision was working for the bad guys (as seen in the other tie-in issue which was about the Hydravengers team).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And Chthonda making out with Brainwashed Vision, how do we call this "relationship".

Wow, That's a dificult pool to answer. I went with Avengers Forever (marvelous), but there were so many others I wanted to mark. The Gatherers Saga, Assault on Olympus, Operation Galactic Storm, Under Siege, Kang Dynasty, Ultron Unlimited, etc... Even No Surrender. No Road Home seems to be developing into another classic. Can't wait for the TPB.

Peace