Page 10 of 179 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    They got married rather quick and abruptly. There wasnt much thought put into it as they jumped into it within an hour of it being brought up. Under those circumstances, its easy to see how they could marry each other without realizing they arent actually in love with each other.
    Except the whole Rogue & Gambit mini-series was about them confronting their past and their entire relationship with each other, and realizing that they did in fact love each other. (Well, more Rogue. Gambit always knew.) They may not have done much soul-searching before the wedding, but there was an entire mini-series devoted to that process.

Quote Originally Posted by Couplest View Post
    Also, I’d like Rogue to drop an ILU soon but I get it. And obviously the more meaningful scene for it the better. She did say “must be love” in RG 3 too.
    I would like to see more sweet, romantic moments too. Ultimately, though, I've come to terms that a Rogue & Gambit comic cannot be written like Rogue & Gambit fanfiction (i.e. all emotions and sex), and be a success in the mass market. It has to focus more on telling a story that makes sense for a mainstream superhero comic, rather than lingering on the moments between that story. Now, I'd love an issue that was full on fanfiction tropiness, but I doubt sales would agree with me.

In that kind of story, Rogue & Gambit can't say "I love you" as many time as my husband and I say I love you. Which is multiple times a day, usually for no real reason. They also don't talk about mortgages or what to have for dinner or what they're going to do this weekend or 90% of boring married person dialog.

Also, when characters say "I love you" in a superhero book, it tends to mark a deeply significant moment. You notice the only time Gambit says it in MMX is when he's doing that possible suicide run through Deathbird's ship. It's punctuation for meaningful moments.
    Last edited by DearMachine; 01-10-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Spectacular Member

I have a whole weekend topic that I might put snippets here but will post it on Tumblr this weekend. It is about the Fun Fearless females book that came out that announced Rogue as Anna Lebeau and mentions her husband Gambit. It had some revealing notes I wanted to cover.

Back to Rogue not saying I love you, I really don't think too much about it. Cuz she did say yes to his proposal, she kisses him oodles, etc. In fact, Something notable: I think we get a kiss in every issue of MMX! I harkened to the dark ages when even during first time cave scene all we got was a hug and Marvel couldn't even say they sexed! Where Lobdell had to say "they expressed themselves fully to each other" or something like that.

Spectacular Member

well thanks to this thread makes me see stuff with different eyes, color me blind I didn't realize Romy was just getting dressed right before that party! (Just seeing Remy coming down the steps!)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by smokey78 View Post
    I have a whole weekend topic that I might put snippets here but will post it on Tumblr this weekend. It is about the Fun Fearless females book that came out that announced Rogue as Anna Lebeau and mentions her husband Gambit. It had some revealing notes I wanted to cover.

Back to Rogue not saying I love you, I really don't think too much about it. Cuz she did say yes to his proposal, she kisses him oodles, etc. In fact, Something notable: I think we get a kiss in every issue of MMX! I harkened to the dark ages when even during first time cave scene all we got was a hug and Marvel couldn't even say they sexed! Where Lobdell had to say "they expressed themselves fully to each other" or something like that.
    Yes a kiss in every issue EXCEPT MMX#2. Because I think Deadpool's #@$8blocking AND OMG! thank goodness we aren't where we used to be!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by LegoLiz View Post
    Dang you! You beat me to it! Well played sir. Well played.

I agree. I thought about it and I still tell my husband I love him all the time after being together close to a decade (I can’t believe it’s been that long). But yes, I don’t think everyone is like that. And I agree with Sparta that it might be weird reading it on the page repeatedly. But agreed, that Rogue isn’t as expressive with her love. I believe reading on KT’s Tumblr that she admits that Rogue has to work on this stuff a bit, as well as showing her support of her husband – given the opportunity. Rogue’s never been an “I love you slut” (why have I been referencing HIMYM so much lately?). Other than Gambit, has Rogue ever admitted to loving any other man (in this reality or maybe she did while I was boycotting)? I think expressions of love are easier for Gambit because he’s been in love many times before (Harbour Speech). Also, he's been more intuned with his emotions than Rogue. Just my opinion
    I think we mentioned Remy is the only one Anna says she loves out loud. She tells Remy and told Logan.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Couplest View Post
    I’m just popping in to say that you all must not be train wreck hot messes when throwing parties. My husband and I are always getting dressed last minute and crazed until guests arrive and I’m basically cosplaying Rogue in her raged/angry panels. And not because we’re getting frisky BUT because we suck at house party time management.
    Oh I'm horrible. I can't get myself together and thus don't throw parties. BUT I'm trying to make things happen here - at least in my head canons that the newlyweds are enjoying the early days of marriage.

well thanks to this thread makes me see stuff with different eyes, color me blind I didn't realize Romy was just getting dressed right before that party! (Just seeing Remy coming down the steps!)
    And it looks like Rogue is pulling down her dress or pulling up her boots before answering the door to let Bobby in! And Gambit coming down the stairs, look like he is button the cuffs of his dress shirt.

I think we mentioned Remy is the only one Anna says she loves out loud. She tells Remy and told Logan.
    Thank you! I boycotted for a while, so I didn't know if she ever openly said she loved anyone else.
    Last edited by LegoLiz; 01-10-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Hahaha. Am I the only one that remembers the "What happened in the cave" online debates? God bless you Kelly for spelling it out.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    They got married rather quick and abruptly. There wasnt much thought put into it as they jumped into it within an hour of it being brought up. Under those circumstances, its easy to see how they could marry each other without realizing they arent actually in love with each other.
    I can see the next anvil of editors at X-TItles spinning with this in mind. That hey, Piotr and Kitty said no, but that was right cuz they weren't ready, and Romy says yes cuz they just didn't think it through

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Hahaha. Am I the only one that remembers the "What happened in the cave" online debates? God bless you Kelly for spelling it out.
    Yep, there were some debates about that. Though It's pretty obvious with the narration and dialogue exchange. There were many references post-trial as well.

Some readers were a little gullible. In the R&G flashback they had Rogue's zip down and glovless...I think that's what they should've done in the opening pages of Uncanny #349. Rather than just a shirtless Remy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    Yep, there were some debates about that. Though It's pretty obvious with the narration and dialogue exchange. There were many references post-trial as well.

Some readers were a little gullible. In the R&G flashback they had Rogue's zip down and glovless...I think that's what they should've done in the opening pages of Uncanny #349. Rather than just a shirtless Remy.
    Right? It was SO heavily implied and I get that the books were definitely more PG back then, but surely it wouldn't have killed them to throw in a kiss?

And then the poor guy never got his shirt back. I mean, I'm not really complaining mind you, but surely he was cold? LOL

The mini flashback to the cave was so powerful, I applaud Kelly for biting right into it and not shying away.

Right? It was SO heavily implied and I get that the books were definitely more PG back then, but surely it wouldn't have killed them to throw in a kiss?

And then the poor guy never got his shirt back. I mean, I'm not really complaining mind you, but surely he was cold? LOL

The mini flashback to the cave was so powerful, I applaud Kelly for biting right into it and not shying away.
    Definitely. R&G is a much, much better take on that moment. Clarifying at the time would have made UXM #350 even more powerful. If it was obvious that they had sex for the first time, that they had gotten closer than they ever could before, then it would be much more devastating when Rogue leaves Gambit in the snow.

(Not that I think the Trial of Gambit is a great moment in the X-Books, mostly because the writers wanted to be cagey about whether it was Rogue leaving him or Gambit's-mind-in-Rogue leaving himself, and then the X-Men never tried to look for him.... So, everyone looked terrible.)

Spectacular Member Kalternativa's Avatar

Gambit and Rogue doing well in X-Books Awards 2018 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Kalternativa View Post
    Gambit and Rogue doing well in X-Books Awards 2018 ��
    Deservably so! I just hope/wish sales reflect the popularity I'm seeing here and other social media.

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    Definitely. R&G is a much, much better take on that moment. Clarifying at the time would have made UXM #350 even more powerful. If it was obvious that they had sex for the first time, that they had gotten closer than they ever could before, then it would be much more devastating when Rogue leaves Gambit in the snow.

(Not that I think the Trial of Gambit is a great moment in the X-Books, mostly because the writers wanted to be cagey about whether it was Rogue leaving him or Gambit's-mind-in-Rogue leaving himself, and then the X-Men never tried to look for him.... So, everyone looked terrible.)
    Agree 100%. It was handled so badly and made so many characters, Rogue especially, look terrible. Leaving him behind I could see IF it wasn't in a place that is a literal death sentence. I'll never believe that any of them, except maybe Angel, but especially not Rogue, would actually have wanted him dead.

Though I do think if they had been more explicit about what happened between them it might have made Rogue feeling betrayed seem more realistic.

Anyway .... is what it is. Iconic, but also kind of terrible.

I would've had Joe Mad draw them hug and kiss.

And KT counter-retconned the Sentry crap in that flashback too.