Page 57 of 179 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast

Also, thus far in Mr & Mrs X we've now had our Hawt Heroes encounter TWO.....TWObebbehs in distress....

Vaaaary EeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeNteresteeeeeng.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalternativa View Post
    Now Carol has a behavior weakness I have observed. Carol has a bad habit of wanting to immediate gratification i.e "taking the easy way out" without thinking things through about her actions being misinterpreted or future unintended consequences. Here is a simple example from her first series in 1978. Carol goes to ask the Avengers Mansion to ask them for help. Instead of merely knocking on the door, she breaks it down. Then she is met by an angry Beast who treats her as the home invader she appears to be. Then the second of Carol's bahavior pattern kicks in. When called out about her actions, she projects blame on other people than herself. Then it takes awhile to admit she was wrong. Now apply this to what happened in X-Men Legacy #269. The X-Men and Avengers are at war over Hope. Carol creates a scenario that looks like an ambush to try to talk to Rogue. Rogue interprets Carol's actions as a real ambush and ends up responding in kind. Then things eventually get straighted out. I just wanted to try to put Carol's actions into perspective.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mikeb; 03-28-2019 at 05:29 AM.

I think Rogue’s denial and hesitation to confront her trauma in Genosha was captured aptly in the first few panels; I really felt her emotion. But the next panel (an epiphany of sort) kinda fell flat and took the emotion away from the scene a little. I think instead of having her go “Ah ha! This all makes sense! Let me explain it to the reader explicitly!”, it would have been more impactful if the real Rogue had come in at that point and explained to the old rogue (not the reader) what she tried to run away from and buried so deep inside that she’s trapped there. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by rogueisbae; 03-28-2019 at 05:57 AM.

I got the feeling that I already read this self-discovery journey to control her powers before.

Oh yeah, Mike Carey already did it in Legacy.

Disappointing comic.
    I feel bad about the artist, that is doing a great job, but I'll not miss this title.

Hoping someone will put up a review thread soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Simplicity. Sometimes its the easiest thing to overlook. Its often the easiest to ignore too. Well I thought this issue was very touching and I enjoyed it very much. I appreciate and deeply relate to this never ending journey of exploring who we are, WHY we are, and especially the deep dive into those pockets we carve out to house of vulnerabilities.

Fear.
    This issue really spoke to me and got me thinking. When I briefly summarized the content of the issue to my husband, his reaction was much the same as many online: "This again?" With that, I broke down each memory she examined and we had a really wonderful discussion about psychology and adolescence and those formative (and often painful) moments that change us and add layers to who we develop into, and how certain events and people steer us and sometimes reroute us, and how we're both products of nature AND nurture and its difficult to say how much of us is entirely US and how much of us is the result of that which we encounter.

And Rogue is this remarkably complex person because of her unique power. Whereas we, as human beings, change and evolve and adapt and grow through our interpretations of that which we encounter -- be it a life changing event or a life changing friend or lover or chance encounter at a gas station(?) -- this woman quite literally takes others INTO her, however briefly-- but in one very traumatic and haunting instance, she took the entire person for an extended period. In her YOUTH. When we are all trying to figure out who we are, and what we stand for, and what our path will be, and where our future lies, and how we feel and why we feel, this woman (Rogue) suddenly has TWO psyches to figure out who are continually in violent contention with one another. It is COMPLETELY understandable that Rogue would become FURTHER insecure and doubtful about what is her versus what is Carol.
    Is Rogue who she is today because of Carol? Well, in some ways, absolutely. That was event that drove her to Xavier, right?
    Is Rogue a hero because of Carol? That's debatable. Its very possible that Carol's psyche influenced Rogue from time to time, but Rogue ALSO gained a FAMILY with the X-Men. A family unit of heroes. JOINING the X-Men may have been (in a backwards way) thanks to Carol, but thriving within the X-Men and finding value and purpose in Xavier's mission, and in being a role model, and a mentor, and a teacher, and a leader -- I feel that is largely thanks to her X-fam. Her time spent in the Uncanny Avengers is, imho, proof positive of that passion.

Wow.
    Rambly.
    Anyway. We are all endlessly discovering who we are because we are all endlessly changing as we grow. And I thought this issue was beautiful. It didn't necessarily SOLVE Rogue's control issues because fear is a very tricky thing to keep a grip on, and it too changes over time, but I'm very much looking forward to where this sexy bad ass couple heads next.

Viva MR & MRS X!
    That was a beautiful analysis and so true!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    I got the feeling that I already read this self-discovery journey to control her powers before.

Disappointing comic.
    I feel bad about the artist, that is doing a great job, but I'll not miss this title.
    I agree about control problem. Such self-discovery journey should have happend in first arc with Xandra`s help so we won`t need to read one more arc about it.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Why is everybody assuming that the baby is a she, not a he?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    Why is everybody assuming that the baby is a she, not a he?
    Gambit told she.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    I was very annoyed by the assumption that Carol's persona was what made Rogue the hero she became. Are you serious??

The book seems to be rehashing old plots we've seen with Rogue (and even Gambit) before. In fact, it kinda reads like the first arc: Gambit needs to retrieve something, Rogue has to deal with her powers.

I'm just tired of seeing Rogue having to deal with her powers every month now. Please, just let her return to one of the teams. Let her experience other stories, with (or without) Gambit.
    This comic is like watching someone rearrange the chairs on the deck of the Titanic. The chairs are nicely arranged and provide a good visual but at the end of the day, there is still a gaping hole in the ship and it is going to sink. By that I mean there are cool moments and ideas in the series but overall this entire comic is not really treading any new ground with either of these characters. It is just the same stories we have seen before just repackaged within the context of a marriage. I honestly can't believe we needed 5 issues of a mini and 9 issues of wishy washy Rogue to finally get her shit together. And now we have just 3 issues left where maybe just maybe we can actually get to what I thought the premise of the book was supposed to be ie Rogue and Gambit actually behaving like a real fun couple enjoying their marriage without the angst.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Incredible Member Jiminy_Cricket's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    This comic is like watching someone rearrange the chairs on the deck of the Titanic. The chairs are nicely arranged and provide a good visual but at the end of the day, there is still a gaping hole in the ship and it is going to sink. By that I mean there are cool moments and ideas in the series but overall this entire comic is not really treading any new ground with either of these characters. It is just the same stories we have seen before just repackaged within the context of a marriage. I honestly can't believe we needed 5 issues of a mini and 9 issues of wishy washy Rogue to finally get her shit together. And now we have just 3 issues left where maybe just maybe we can actually get to what I thought the premise of the book was supposed to be ie Rogue and Gambit actually behaving like a real fun couple enjoying their marriage without the angst.
    It's mostly been a fun read but I have to agree. This book hasn't quite met my expectations. Hoping we can have a blast in the last 3 issues now the melodrama is largely out the way.
    L'Enfer !

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post

Disappointing comic.
    I well, minus the self discovery part. That was more Xavier figures out what danger was doing, Xavier saves her and fixes her powers, but don’t really say how/why, just he figured it out by what danger was doing.

The powers stuff can be done now, so hoping for a fun show down with mojo.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    You all said exactly what was circling around in my brain! Because who keeps a baby in a large heavy box? ... I mean without at least poking some holes in it. LOL

But SO mysterious. I agree, I'm not sure it's a literal baby. But whatever it is is something or someone Spiral needs, presumably to break away from Mojo?
    OMG! When I first saw that I was like “Mojoworld needs to implement crib standards.” And does our Remy have baby fever? Better start practicing those dad jokes now and getting those white leather new balances ready!

Quote Originally Posted by Couplest View Post
    OMG! When I first saw that I was like “Mojoworld needs to implement crib standards.” And does our Remy have baby fever? Better start practicing those dad jokes now and getting those white leather new balances ready!
    Haha, I'm definitely not totally convinced he has baby fever.

Bbbbuuuutttt, as a character maybe he's starting to think more about the big picture and the future and what that will mean? He's always struck me as a very "in the moment" sort, not one to plan too far ahead. And for a young and unattached thief who puts their life at risk on the daily, that makes sense. But now he's a married man, a leader of the Guild, and one of the more senior X-Men. People are depending on him. And he has looked death in the face more than a few times. That has to make a person really examine what is important to them. In the Asmus run he's really struggling with deciding who he is and what he wants. So I think maybe this is some of that coming to fruition?

I hope we get a discussion on these notes, including kids. But seeing him with a baby is pretty heartwarming all-the-same.

The issue was alright, regarding Rogue's powers, Kelly's explanation works and it's better than what Carey did, yet I get the feeling that it could have been better, at least something a little more complex than just fear.

Bazaldua's art style was definitely not the appropriate one for this issue, with so many emotional and traumatic scenes from Rogue's past this issue needed a bigger variety of facial expressions and Bazaldua seems incapable of that, Rogue either looked like a cute Disney princess or like a surprised emoji with her mouth and eyes wide open. Also the empty and simplistic backgrounds gave me the impression that this issue was done in a hurry without paying much attention to the details. Overall I think the art really affected this issue very negatively.

I'll rate it a 6.7/10