Page 164 of 179 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174 ... LastLast
Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 2671

Not a good start as a Rogue fan, and a worse one for Gambit. The writer, at least for the first issue, has a shaky handle on their voices. I didn't think it was possible for both characters to be written with so little charisma.

I am intrigued to discover what happens when Rogue returns and if Gambit will actually do something in the meantime other then continue to be the butt of jokes.

Other then their roles in the book, the first issue was enjoyable.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Could be and I certainly hope so! It didn't land that way for me even after a reread, but that would make more sense for sure. Let's pretend at least that's what was meant. Because I want to like this series so bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Romy Ship View Post
    Let's be honest though, AJ, a few panels before this indicates the opposite.
    Honesty, I read the whole conversation as more ‘light hearted teasing’ than you guys. Though again, that was my opinion, no claims that I’m ‘right.’

Quote Originally Posted by CityofAngels View Post
    Not a good start as a Rogue fan, and a worse one for Gambit. The writer, at least for the first issue, has a shaky handle on their voices. I didn't think it was possible for both characters to be written with so little charisma.

I am intrigued to discover what happens when Rogue returns and if Gambit will actually do something in the meantime other then continue to be the butt of jokes.

Other then their roles in the book, the first issue was enjoyable.
    Exactly this, City. I'm with you 100%

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Honesty, I read the whole conversation as more ‘light hearted teasing’ than you guys. Though again, that was my opinion, no claims that I’m ‘right.’
    Oh Anya, I'd prefer you to be right. I WANT TO BE WRONG, BELIEVE YOU ME.
    Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I feel as if, uh, little Remy would make an issue sell more than little Bruce.

Ok, so got my physical copy and re-read it taking into consideration that the beach scene should be read more light and humorous. And it worked better for me that way. (Thanks Anya). Though the facial expressions for Rogue seem more serious and contemplative in some of those panels than I would expect for that sort of lighter dialogue, so hence the disconnect I'm feeling.

But I still have questions about what is happening with Rogue's powers since we left off in MMX.

Hoping this is just a slightly shakey start and we see it level out and hopefully explain some things.

Will what happens to Rogue in her coma figure into her thoughts on that third law?

Ok, so got my physical copy and re-read it taking into consideration that the beach scene should be read more light and humorous. And it worked better for me that way. (Thanks Anya). Though the facial expressions for Rogue seem more serious and contemplative in some of those panels than I would expect for that sort of lighter dialogue, so hence the disconnect I'm feeling.

But I still have questions about what is happening with Rogue's powers since we left off in MMX.

Hoping this is just a slightly shakey start and we see it level out and hopefully explain some things.

Will what happens to Rogue in her coma figure into her thoughts on that third law?
    I didn't really see anything wrong with the beach scene, yes, the interactions did lack a bit of flair, but the whole conversation was about baby-making which is pretty much the dominant topic of conversation between the two including the latter half of MMX.
    Rogue's powers is the big continuity mess up. We'll see where that leads.
    My theory is that I reckon she's already pregnant but she doesn't know it yet, hence the reason why she's drawn a little bigger around the tummy area. The birth will be fast-tracked in issue 5. That way she won't stay pregnant for too long. Again, it's just a theory, but that's where I think their story is heading...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    I didn't really see anything wrong with the beach scene, yes, the interactions did lack a bit of flair, but the whole conversation was about baby-making which is pretty much the dominant topic of conversation between the two including the latter half of MMX.
    Rogue's powers is the big continuity mess up. We'll see where that leads.
    My theory is that I reckon she's already pregnant but she doesn't know it yet, hence the reason why she's drawn a little bigger around the tummy area. The birth will be fast-tracked in issue 5. That way she won't stay pregnant for too long. Again, it's just a theory, but that's where I think their story is heading...
    I will say, that was my working theory before this issue came out - that the flower coffin/coma would be a good ruse and a smart way to fast track a pregnancy in comics so Rogue would not be out of commission too long and it would be a clever surprise.

I'm maybe a little less sure of that theory now that the issue is out? I'm hoping for that moreso than a possession or a magical powers upgrade. But we'll see.

Now I'm genuinely curious because you seemed to get a more positive read from the dialogue, what did you take as Rogue's meaning when she says she thinks they should get back to work? That line in particular really confused me.

Remy is asking about building a home in Krakoa, she says she feels like they should get back to work, but then asks what he thinks of that 3rd law.

Hmmmm, so maybe she IS pregnant? Is that what she means by "work"? Or is she just contemplating the idea or maybe even feeling pressured by this new law? Does she not like the idea of settling down in Krakoa?

It feels really unclear what the angle of this is and again, maybe that's by design? To keep us guessing? *shrugs*

Whether that works well from a writing standpoint is debatable.

But will I be super unhappy if all of Rogue's progress in MMX toward controlling her powers was just hand-wave wiped away completely off panel? In a word, Yes.

Now I do think Rogue works better as a character if her power control is an ongoing struggle for her, but not if it's forever completely out of her hands. I like the idea of control being something she constantly has to work on and even struggle with. If that's the angle Tini is going to go with, I can get behind it.

I will say, that was my working theory before this issue came out - that the flower coffin/coma would be a good ruse and a smart way to fast track a pregnancy in comics so Rogue would not be out of commission too long and it would be a clever surprise.

I'm maybe a little less sure of that theory now that the issue is out? I'm hoping for that moreso than a possession or a magical powers upgrade. But we'll see.

Now I'm genuinely curious because you seemed to get a more positive read from the dialogue, what did you take as Rogue's meaning when she says she thinks they should get back to work? That line in particular really confused me.

Remy is asking about building a home in Krakoa, she says she feels like they should get back to work, but then asks what he thinks of that 3rd law.

Hmmmm, so maybe she IS pregnant? Is that what she means by "work"? Or is she just contemplating the idea or maybe even feeling pressured by this new law? Does she not like the idea of settling down in Krakoa?

It feels really unclear what the angle of this is and again, maybe that's by design? To keep us guessing? *shrugs*

Whether that works well from a writing standpoint is debatable.
    "Back to work" could mean that she and Remy are trying for a baby...or power control, trying to get intimate without the bracelet. It is a little vague in parts, but I think that's on purpose from the writer's part. The other possibility is that "Back to work" may refer to working as an X-Man, which is the boring answer :P But Tini in that latest quote from that interview: "Will Rogue and Gambit make more mutants?" ...that's probably the answer.

Figuratively speaking, say that they ARE having a child, that would be the first Krakoan-born mutant from this era...so that kid would be a big deal...

But will I be super unhappy if all of Rogue's progress in MMX toward controlling her powers was just hand-wave wiped away completely off panel? In a word, Yes.

Now I do think Rogue works better as a character if her power control is an ongoing struggle for her, but not if it's forever completely out of her hands. I like the idea of control being something she constantly has to work on and even struggle with. If that's the angle Tini is going to go with, I can get behind it.
    We're not 100% on Rogue's power status, that too is vague. I do like the idea of Rogue having consequences when it comes to power-absorption, so I'm not all-for a fully controlled Rogue. To be honest, I didn't like the idea of her powers functioning without touching in MMX either. It seems like she's going through another change anyway in #5. I'm sure Tini has good intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    "Back to work" could mean that she and Remy are trying for a baby...or power control, trying to get intimate without the bracelet. It is a little vague in parts, but I think that's on purpose from the writer's part. The other possibility is that "Back to work" may refer to working as an X-Man, which is the boring answer :P But Tini in that latest quote from that interview: "Will Rogue and Gambit make more mutants?" ...that's probably the answer.
    Thanks for your insight! I am really hopeful we'll get a better understanding of this as the series goes. And I'm really excited we get to see this discussion unfold, albeit probably not to be finished for several issues now while Rogue is out of commission. Though I'm fairly certain they were getting intimate without the inhibitor toward the end of MMX.

Figuratively speaking, say that they ARE having a child, that would be the first Krakoan-born mutant from this era...so that kid would be a big deal...
    This is a very exciting prospect and honestly I don't know that it would make sense if this new era of mutant peace and prosperity on Krakoa didn't usher in a significant mutant birth or two.

We're not 100% on Rogue's power status, that too is vague. I do like the idea of Rogue having consequences when it comes to power-absorption, so I'm not all-for a fully controlled Rogue. To be honest, I didn't like the idea of her powers functioning without touching in MMX either. It seems like she's going through another change anyway in #5. I'm sure Tini has good intentions.
    Yes and that is a great point to bring up. I don't think these creators have anything but good intentions for these characters and for their readers. Mistakes could have happened, miscommunications, misunderstandings, or just not having all the information or not giving due attention to some things they should have. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt there. Hopefully they will see some of this feedback and use it to their benefit.

And yeah, I'm not wholly loving the expanded distance absorption powers for Rogue. It's ok, and worked for driving that narrative at the time, but I wouldn't mind seeing it evolve into something else now. Maybe her new magical powers will play on that.

This story still has so much awesome potential, I'm definitely not giving up on it.

IMG_20191031_124150.jpg

In isolation from some of the confusing elements, I really really loved this panel and the exchange between them.

Quote Originally Posted by staptik777 View Post
    Rogue is so emotionless

compare to R&G
    I think that this comparison is unfair, due to 5 issues of R&G being compared to pages from a single issue, and there are clearly distinct emotions on To's Rogue - she's just not reacting as strongly to things because it wouldn't fit the situation.

For me, I'm looking forward to the reveals, because Rogue & Gambit are clearly being swept up in something big, and that's exciting. I'm digging the "woah, what happened?" nature of the Hickman era, because it's way more interesting to me to have genuine surprises coming up than endless rehashes, and I trust the writers to not make decisions lightly, particularly with the commitment to being additive rather than destructive - so I'd be shocked if Rogue's powers are being regressed lightly, if they are.

Also, Remy was willing to fight [-=A=-] for Rogue. That's love, right there! He obviously has his own issues, but it was concern for Rogue that put him over the edge and I love that - I react far more strongly to trangressions against my partner than to myself, and the reverse is true.

And holy crap at this baby teasing. I'm not saying anything, after being sceptical of the wedding and happily eating my words! I'm a big fan of Otherworld nonsense and the other characters appearing though, so I appreciate that this issue was always gonna be an easier sell.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar
    Make Good Art

For the most part, I actually liked Marcus To's art...it's the story that kind of left me feeling indifferent. Maybe it's because I've never read any old Excalibur issues? I'm still suspicious of the whole Krakoa concept and I'm not crazy about the heavy magic/Camelot elements either. I want to like it (and I'll keep reading it if only to find out what's going on with Rogue), but I guess I'm just not the target audience for this book.

Hey all,

Just wanted to pass along that there is a Gambit and Rogue fanworks celebration week coming up, February 2-8th. Follow "roguegambitweek" on Tumblr for more details! Please share with your mutuals on whatever other social media platforms you visit to help get the word out. Fanworks include, but are not limited to, fanfiction and fan art. So if you want to participate, vote on topics, or just enjoy, go check it out.

Hopefully things will pick up with Excalibur and get us more in the spirit. And if not, maybe this could be a nice outlet for what's missing.

Nothing official yet, but from what I've found out (from Reddit), I think the Rogue and Gambit pop vinyls are scheduled to come out in March 5, 2020.
    From what I understand it's only those two X-Men that are coming out at that time. No news on Nightcrawler (who really should get one IMO) or any other X-Men characters yet.

Hey all,

Just wanted to pass along that there is a Gambit and Rogue fanworks celebration week coming up, February 2-8th. Follow "roguegambitweek" on Tumblr for more details! Please share with your mutuals on whatever other social media platforms you visit to help get the word out. Fanworks include, but are not limited to, fanfiction and fan art. So if you want to participate, vote on topics, or just enjoy, go check it out.

Hopefully things will pick up with Excalibur and get us more in the spirit. And if not, maybe this could be a nice outlet for what's missing.
    Thanks for info. Will try to participate with fanart.