Page 5 of 179 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    It wasn't nearly as bad as the 2000's where Grant Morrison, Mark Millar, Ed Brubaker, all openly hated Gambit, and they were all writing major X-Books. Though Brubaker did a respectable job writing him in 'Messiah Complex' in a couple of scenes.

At the moment I'd say it's a much more Gambit-friendly environment (compared to then).
    Is it true in the early 2000s, Grant Morrison disliked Rogue so much he wanted to kill her off?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    Is it true in the early 2000s, Grant Morrison disliked Rogue so much he wanted to kill her off?
    Yes, he wanted to kill off Rogue and replace her with a younger goth version (inspired by the X-Men: Evolution cartoon series).

He also planned for Wolverine have some sort of heart-to-heart with a grieving drunken Gambit at a bar. A little like that issue (that Bachalo drew) when he used Cyclops instead.

Ah here we go, I found this..

https://www.syfy.com/sites/syfy/file...amp=1497663261

Regarding Morrison's plans for Rogue (and Gambit), back in 2001.

Ah here we go, I found this..

https://www.syfy.com/sites/syfy/file...amp=1497663261

Regarding Morrison's plans for Rogue (and Gambit), back in 2001.
    Ugh, gross. Morrison is maybe even less my favorite now. So not into Goth Rogue. Boo.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post

Apparently some big secret will come out of Gold 30 in 2019 though. Color me curious!
    I wonder what the big secret is!

Bummer. So no Gambit in Uncanny after relaunch probably.

CB says it on the podcast, right at the end after talking about the Gold wedding. Now I need to give part 2 a listen.
    It seems Devastation is Uncanny 11 - 20.
    I am sure that UXM 21-30 (640-650) will have a new writer.
    But I don't think that Gambit will be there.

And we will be revisiting that wedding very soon, in 2019. Spoilers for something coming up. There was a secret in that issue that we have never revealed.

http://www.xavierfiles.com/2019/01/0...sited-in-2019/

Xavier Files speculates it will be about Logan's cameo.

Quote Originally Posted by LegoLiz View Post
    Any chance the writers who’ve admitted to disliking Gambit might come around? KT admitted she long ago disliked Ms. Marvel and Dazzler (because even though Rogue was in the wrong, she had conflict with these characters) and KT she loves them (obviously). So you never know?
    I'm not aware of any writers at Marvel whom have said they dislike the character. I think Greg Pak might have said it once but i'm not sure if he's there any more. Maybe Bendis but he's at DC now.

Bummer. So no Gambit in Uncanny after relaunch probably.

CB says it on the podcast, right at the end after talking about the Gold wedding. Now I need to give part 2 a listen.
    Wait, Agent M isn't anybody whom would have any influence on how much a character is or isn't used in Comics. From last i checked he just does the social media stuff.

Nah. Pak loves Gambit. He is a fan.

Bendis, Remender, Woods are haters. Sadly Rosenberg too.
    But Rosenberg wrote a great Gambit cameo in Madrox XMas story. At least he can do his work good.

I know Bendis was always a little snobbish towards Gambit, someone asked him years ago if he hated him. He said "no" and revealed that he and Rogue were the two leads in his original concept for Ultimate X-Men. They were street kids. I actually had the original script somewhere...

Brian Wood had the NYX concept with Gambit, Rogue and Jubilee (A little bit like Bendis' Ultimate X-Men rough draft/script). It was an alternative take. There were sketch designs as well, this was back in the very early 2000's.

IMG_20190107_154606.jpg
    From KT on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by CityofAngels View Post
    I'm not aware of any writers at Marvel whom have said they dislike the character. I think Greg Pak might have said it once but i'm not sure if he's there any more. Maybe Bendis but he's at DC now.

Wait, Agent M isn't anybody whom would have any influence on how much a character is or isn't used in Comics. From last i checked he just does the social media stuff.
    No no, I meant if Rosenberg isn't into Gambit he probably won't be in Uncanny while he's writing it.

As for Agent M . . . Meh. Haters gonna hate.

Incredible Member

He did! I was getting ready to mention the holiday issue before work happened..if nothing else Rosenberg must assume Gambit is the best gift giver.

Im glad we got the switch instead of a double wedding (sorry kiotr fans just not my thing) otherwise I feel like the romy wedding would feel second fiddle instead of being a surprise.

As for the theme being picked up from issue 30, what was the speculation about Wolverine? He’s kind of been all over the place right?

Incredible Member

IMG_20190107_154606.jpg
    From KT on Twitter.

Thanks! Longshot better not be looking up that skirt!

Also, my kids have been asking for a tree house so they are NOT allowed to see this panel ever.

[insert something witty] PeachFlavoredXanax's Avatar

Yes, he wanted to kill off Rogue and replace her with a younger goth version (inspired by the X-Men: Evolution cartoon series).
    I mean... I don’t necessarily fault Morrison for the idea. Rogue as a happy, sassy chick who punches things and kisses people to steal their powers from the 80s felt so hollow to me. Touch is a vital part of mental health and having a character who completely lacks it with no end in sight shouldn’t be an upbeat flirt. I feel her relationship with Gambit really defines her as someone with depth, really showing the sadness & despair her powers would have on a person. (Rogue also defines Gambit and gave him depth as he’s not just a total man whore looking for a good time).

Had Rogue not gone through all of the heartache related to her relationship with Gambit, I would honestly agree with Morrison that the character makes no goddamn sense. That said, she did go through it and Morrison’s idea is like a decade (at that time) too late.