Page 55 of 179 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    The fact that the guards came back later to finish whatever they started always made me assume it was probably assault, but didn't go further and Carol taking over Rogue's body stopped them from taking it further. (I thought it was interesting Carey had Mystique's pyche take her body over in a similar fashion during her ordeal through memory lane with Danger.)

However, it is also really common for a victim to hide, deny or downplay what happened because they understandably just want to forget and not deal with it. So more could have happened for sure.

But what happened with Carol and Marcus was definitely rape. And the way that was glossed over in the story and by the other characters was pretty ugly. So putting another female character who was this closely connected to Carol in a similar situation had to be a bad look. Hence the need to downplay it? It's good that Carol is protective of Rogue here, but she also makes it pretty clear it has more to do with her own self-interest and in order to save Logan. It would have been nice if Carol's reason for helping included some empathy for Rogue.

But will this issue delve into this situation? Hard to say. It's a sensitive topic that has to be carefully addressed if so. And I know Kelly would be very attuned to that. It really does seem like something we've never seen Rogue confront and deal with, so it could definitely be a contributing factor. It is a topic that has been discussed a lot in fanfic.
    IMO, when Rogue tore up her living area after Carol took her over involuntarily, this was her way of fighting back against someone who was dominating her against her will. Rogue could not fight back against the Genshen guards. She could fight back against Carol. The other X-gals didn't seem understand this (or care). Also, the Carol persona tried to force Rogue to talk about it before Rogue was ready to. By taking Rogue over like she did is was akin to what the Genoshen guards did to her. All it did was rub salt into Rogue's emotional wounds. As part of the healing process, the would be victum needs to know they are not helpless. They need know they can fight back.
    Last edited by mikeb; 03-26-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    IMO, when Rogue tore up her living area after Carol took her over involuntarily, this was her way of fighting back against someone who was dominating her against her will. Rogue could not fight back against the Genshen guards. She could fight back against Carol. The other X-gals didn't seem understand this (or care). Also, the Carol persona tried to force Rogue to talk about it before Rogue was ready to. By taking Rogue over like she did is was akin to what the Genoshen guards did to her. All it did was rub salt into Rogue's emotional wounds. As part of the healing process, the would be victum needs to know they are not helpless. They need know they can fight back.
    Those are really good points! Yeah, the way the other X-gals react is ... dissapointing to say the least. Drop it, change the subject, and ... go shopping? Ugh. But it probably also reflects a little about attitudes of that time versus now. And to be fair to Carol, what Rogue did to her wasn't right either. The whole situation is traumatic and awful for them both.

I can't believe we are just hours out from this huge issue dropping!

[insert something witty] PeachFlavoredXanax's Avatar

Those are really good points!
    On a random note, I watched The Act over the weekend which is the dramatization of the Deedee / Gypse Rose true crime. I was telling a co-worker about it and she was able to find the HBO documentary uploaded on YouTube. Just watched that and holy god there are SO MANY Cajun accents. Didn’t realize both sides of Gypse Rose’s family are full on bayou.

So yeah.... weirdly even more pumped for MMX tonight.

Incredible Member

Omg. My little heart went on a journey. Lots of emotional stuff but a lot of fun excitement too. Gambit, Rogue, and Spiral were all handled well. I’m going to be rereading this a lot. But not right now because I should be asleep.

Those are really good points! Yeah, the way the other X-gals react is ... dissapointing to say the least. Drop it, change the subject, and ... go shopping? Ugh. But it probably also reflects a little about attitudes of that time versus now. And to be fair to Carol, what Rogue did to her wasn't right either. The whole situation is traumatic and awful for them both.

The mystery about Carol is how did what happened with her and Marcus impact her encounter with Rogue? Was Carol simply a "victim" of Rogue? Or was Rogue a convenient way of ridding herself what of she saw as the root of all her pain and misery to make a fresh start without thinking out the long term repercussions of her actions?

Read the issue. It was... okay? But am I missing something?

spoilers:
    Rogue basically goes through a bunch of memories we’re already seen in print and keeps lamenting she was afraid. She ends in Genoshia and confronts herself - she takes her own hands and agrees to stop being afraid. That’s it. What am I missing here? It just felt very superficial. I was hoping at least for something deeper, more interesting. She lamented about being afraid in their mini series.

Gambit holds a baby. Issue ends with Gambit, Rogue & Spiral about to face down Mojo.
    end of spoilers

Incredible Member

I liked it, but I did read the previous issue before going into it so that may have affected it. I also appreciate that while it was something “simple” it is something that she will have to continue to work on forever.

This is a bit tmi, but I kind of had a similar “aha” moment when one day I kind of put things together and realized I suffer from anxiety. It was a simple answer but what matters is the follow through. So this issue connected with me. But that doesn’t mean it will for everyone.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

It's good that Carol is protective of Rogue here, but she also makes it pretty clear it has more to do with her own self-interest and in order to save Logan. It would have been nice if Carol's reason for helping included some empathy for Rogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    And to be fair to Carol, what Rogue did to her wasn't right either. The whole situation is traumatic and awful for them both.
    You've done a smart analysis here, mates. I agree all.

Yeah, the way the other X-gals react is ... dissapointing to say the least. Drop it, change the subject, and ... go shopping? Ugh. But it probably also reflects a little about attitudes of that time versus now.
    Times are changing, indeed, I hope for good.

Alison's suggestion to go shopping for amusement is particularly shocking, having in mind that she herself had been assaulted by a possessed Longshot only two issues ago, during Inferno. Was she playing it down, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Couplest View Post
    This is a bit tmi, but I kind of had a similar “aha” moment when one day I kind of put things together and realized I suffer from anxiety. It was a simple answer but what matters is the follow through. So this issue connected with me. But that doesn’t mean it will for everyone.
    spoilers:
    If Rogue does have debilitating anxiety, I wish the story had brave enough to address it. Really lean into it.

I’m also a member of Team Anxiety Couplest so I promise I’m not coming from a place of wanting to bitch. I feel storylines of mental health need to be fully realized and not tip toeing around it. Take it seriously. Just a rehash of her “being afraid” like she already admitted from the mini series made me feel like we learned absolutely nothing. This was such an opportunity to tell a really heartfelt story.

On the plus side, Gambit holding a baby tho
    end of spoilers

Incredible Member

I guess for me, I’m looking at this more as a first step and not the end of the story. Like after I realized it’s not normal to feel physically sick to my stomach every morning before school/work or panic about whether my hair straightener was left plugged in despite me checking multiple times, I did immediately feel a huge sense of relief. While Rogue’s issue may or may not result from an actual condition of anxiety...if her future stories include this new layer of her needing to be aware of that fear/feelings then that would more than welcome in my book. Like if she falls into old habits like we saw...we know what will happen. And that was even before the Xandra’s upgrade which raises the stakes. But again everyone is different and has different experiences, so while mine did really connect that doesn’t mean squat for others. So I do get that.

And yes to Gambit and a baby. Heart eyed emojis.

Plus I do always love when his explosions are written as being dangerous.
    Last edited by Couplest; 03-27-2019 at 07:27 AM. Reason: I don’t type good

I’m not sure how to get that spoiler box thingy working but SPOILER!! SCROLL PAST IF YOU WANNA AVOID SPOILERS!!!!

Did anyone else catch the bit about “wanting it ALL” (yes it was bolded in the issue too) coming from both Remy (at the start) and Rogue (at the end after she figured out her powers)? I can’t be the only one who thought that they were kinda referring to/hinting about kids? Especially with another baby coming under their protection again? No? Okay.

Incredible Member

Yep! I noticed that too. And obviously it could just be trolling a bit and “mean” something else....that is where my head went.

spoilers:
    So I kind of get what you mean, Peach. I think I had REALLY high expectations on Rogue's power control reveal. Probably too high. But at the same time everything Kelly wrote really rang true to me in how I have interpreted what is causing Rogue's lack of control and that the real lynchpin has always been that she is subconsciously using it as a way to protect herself as a reaction to her past trauma and Genosha in particular. I think what didn't work as much for me was the stark and simple art with little detail or background and the limited facial expressions. Not that it was done badly and I really did LOVE the art in the preview scenes with Remy. But I think the Dodson's cover and the scenes from Rogue and Gambit gave such extensively detailed expressions and replicas of her past selves that it left me with those high expectations. With so little actually happening, I wanted to see a lot more of Rogue's past selves portrayed and/or more of her mindscape.

But Remy with the baby was ...!!!! Oh my heart!

And then them both saying they want it ALL?!? What are you doing here, Kelly?! Giving me all these thoughts!

And THEN, the fact that Spiral didn't seem to know this baby is a HER? Or even a baby at all?!

Now I'm truly mystified because it can't be Spiral's daughter then, right?

MMX always leaves me wanting more. : )
    end of spoilers

Incredible Member

I did notice that little interaction between Gambit and Spiral and while that revelation was likely due to the subpar swaddling job for a six-armed baby....I’d like to head cannon that Gambit had to change a diaper mid-daring escape.

spoilers:
    Rogue and I are used to "mess". We excel at "mess".
    end of spoilers Ol'Remy said a mouthfull!