Page 7 of 175 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 2621
  1. #91
    Mighty Member AppleJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    1,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LegoLiz View Post
    I think storylinewise – maybe. Well more like even things out to the reader. Gambit experiences Rogue’s “death” in #4 and then now she’s experienced his “death”. But thanks mikeb, because I didn’t realize how similar the scenes are that they on their knees clutching their dead loved one’s clothing.

    Other thought this brings up for me. In Bizarre Love Triangle with Gambit and Rogue doing therapy sessions with Emma, Gambit’s death in MMX #7 is similar to his mind death in that story. Where Emma had to put Gambit in a coma or something afterwards. I thought the reasoning Emma gave was something like that in even in their minds, they couldn’t escape the reality of their no touch situation. Wonder if that will have any significance? I’m really dying to find out more about how Rogue’s powers really work.

    Also, if Rogue ever really were to “suck Gambit dry” (Ha! Like AppleJ, I paused at this too!), would he turn into a skeleton? Rogue’s powers take your life force, but has Rogue ever actually killed someone like this? I remember a Wizard magazine cover way back when featuring the X-Men women and Rogue was in the centre holding a skull with a red lipstick kiss on it. So this made me think of this.

    Such a sad scene for Rogue. She told him on their first date that she didn’t want to hurt him like she did Cody. And then had to live her worst nightmare. Pretty devastating.
    Oh my gosh, Lego you are so right! I felt like this seemed familiar. But yes, it is almost exactly like his "death" in their therapy session. And at the time the way Emma was acting it seemed like maybe it was Remy who wasn't able to mentally buy into the false reality. But maybe it was actually Rogue?

  2. #92
    Astonishing Member mikeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids,Mich
    Posts
    3,039

    Default

    The other person I just now remember Rogue using the "Death Touch" on was Mr.Sinister at the end of the Messiah Complex. Mystique shoved his face into Rogue's so Mystique would be free to use the Messiah Child to cure Rogue.

  3. #93
    [insert something witty] PeachFlavoredXanax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Haha! Phrasing! You're an Archer fan too?
    *high fives* Hell yeah! The Gambit reference when Pam & Archer were headed to the Vatican made me diiiiiiiiie. Anytime things I love cross over makes me happy (like when Xander was reading X-Men in an episode of Buffy).

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    I know where he was coming from, in reality someone with Rogue's powers would be more like the Anna Paquin version or 'Evolution' (awkward/loner). I actually loved Evolution Goth Rogue, by far the best character in that series. I wasn't a huge fan of the show, but Rogue really saved it for me.

    There's the ongoing debate. People hate Rogue "whining" about her powers, but some like the emotional depth it brings to her character. I personally think the audience needs to empathise with her. I love flying brick Rogue, but vulnerability is important to me and the consequences of her power, but you don't want to overdo it, Milligan's X-Men run is an example of how to NOT write an emotional Rogue or "ROMY" overall. I think Kelly Thompson balances the two things (Flying Brick/Emotional beats) quite well, with humour added. I'd love to see her write her in a team book somewhere down the track.
    Oh for sure - and I didn’t want to go back to “Ah can’t touch ya!!” as her default characteristic. I just feel it was necessary to make her “real.” Hahaha, the Milligan arc made no fucking sense, thankfully it seems like something everyone universally ignores.

    I view Rogue the same way I do Wesley from BtVS/Angel. A fun character when introduced with an over the top personality that is just a stereotype. But they became such an interested nuanced character when someone started writing their less than stellar qualities.

  4. #94
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    You know though, Couplest was right.

    Rosenberg used Remy in his Merry X-Men short and I think he was very fair with him and it was totally funny.

    So definitely a writer could learn to love or at least tolerate a character they don't particularly like writing at first.
    Totally! I still remember years back I was at a convention talking to Jason Aaron about X-Men. I mentioned Gambit being my fav at one point and was met with the dreaded “I don’t really get Gambit.” It was also around the time it felt like everyone who worked at marvel took turns saying that. Internally deflated, I was planning to just kind of says thanks and shuffle off awkwardly away. But he actually talked to me for awhile asking what I liked about him. I shared with him some thoughts and also mentioned some other tv characters that have traits that remind me of him in some ways. After the discussion he thanked me and said he would keep that in mind next time he had to write him. For the record, I don’t think he ever wrote him after that and hasn’t been on x-books since. Do I think he really remembers that conversation or I converted him? Of course not. But it seemed like he was open to “getting” him. Not all writers are willing to do that. I feel kind of like Rosenberg seems like he is willing to respect characters he writes too.

  5. #95
    Fantastic Member Nox Noctes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    464

    Default

    I don't understand writers who publicly trash characters they don't like. Fans are passionate about their fave characters, so what do these writers gain other than alienating potential readers? It's not a smart move in my opinion.

  6. #96
    Amazing Member Redshipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    51

    Default

    ROMY seems to be the most popular X-Couple. They have their own series going and if you go to Fanfiction or AO3, there are tons of stories on them. And those stories get the maximun likes, reviews and followers.
    I am surprised, this forum isn't more popular.

  7. #97
    Fantastic Member Nox Noctes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redshipper View Post
    ROMY seems to be the most popular X-Couple. They have their own series going and if you go to Fanfiction or AO3, there are tons of stories on them. And those stories get the maximun likes, reviews and followers.
    I am surprised, this forum isn't more popular.
    That's probably because most fans have migrated to tumblr, LOL.

  8. #98
    Mighty Member Omegarogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,497

    Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    You know though, Couplest was right.

    Rosenberg used Remy in his Merry X-Men short and I think he was very fair with him and it was totally funny.

    So definitely a writer could learn to love or at least tolerate a character they don't particularly like writing at first.
    Of course you have reason, if it is a true professional, he should be able to write that character fairly, without transmitting his dislike for the character to the work.

    Luckily the writers who today hate Remy are few, at least in Marvel.

  9. #99
    Incredible Member Jiminy_Cricket's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    520

    Default

    There is a lot of 90's character hate amongst a certain demographic of writers who feel characters like Gambit, Jubilee and Bishop took places their preferred characters like Kitty & Nightcrawler.

    I suppose it's not unlike our dislike for Fantomex. It appears the next generation of writers who grew up with these characters are coming into the fold and looking to re-establish them.

    Gambit was huge in the 90's. It was only a decades worth of character assassination that dropped him down the pecking order. Despite this there is still a massive following for the character which speaks to his appeal.
    L'Enfer !

  10. #100
    Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Latveria
    Posts
    2,536

    Default

    I like Fantomex. He's so outstandingly strange.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

  11. #101
    Incredible Member Jiminy_Cricket's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    I like Fantomex. He's so outstandingly strange.
    I don't think most Gambit fans have anything personal against Fantomex, I think its more the fact that he gets spots on teams that could just as easily be given to Gambit. I'm not well versed in the character it just annoys me that he sometimes gets the push ahead of Gambit. Ironically I bet plenty Longshot fans felt this way about Remy back in the day.
    L'Enfer !

  12. #102
    Ready to roll out! R0d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nox Noctes View Post
    That's probably because most fans have migrated to tumblr, LOL.
    Nah, it's because there's a difference between fans and customers.
    A lot of fans like the couple but aren't willing to spend money in the comics and read the scans for free and simply don't buy the comics.
    Honestly I don't care if there are a lot of fan-fics about them, because at the end of the day the only thing that matters is the number of people buying the actual comics.

  13. #103
    Fantastic Member Sparta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy_Cricket View Post
    I don't think most Gambit fans have anything personal against Fantomex, I think its more the fact that he gets spots on teams that could just as easily be given to Gambit. I'm not well versed in the character it just annoys me that he sometimes gets the push ahead of Gambit. Ironically I bet plenty Longshot fans felt this way about Remy back in the day.
    Careful what you say about Fantomex...he's Marvel's "Premier Thief" and his MAX series sold a "whopping" 9,000 copies.

    Marvel's been trying to make this guy happen for 17 years now. I think they've finally cooled off...he's basically a combination of Gambit and Deadpool...but with no fan base.

  14. #104
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy_Cricket View Post
    There is a lot of 90's character hate amongst a certain demographic of writers who feel characters like Gambit, Jubilee and Bishop took places their preferred characters like Kitty & Nightcrawler.

    I suppose it's not unlike our dislike for Fantomex. It appears the next generation of writers who grew up with these characters are coming into the fold and looking to re-establish them.

    Gambit was huge in the 90's. It was only a decades worth of character assassination that dropped him down the pecking order. Despite this there is still a massive following for the character which speaks to his appeal.
    Fantomex was literally created because the writers and editors at Marvel at that point in time hated the thought of using Gambit but still wanted to use a character that was based on many of the same traits that Gambit's character is defined by. They wanted to use a character just like him but hated the thought of actually featuring Gambit. So screw Fantomex, Charles Soule basically killing him off in Astonishing Xmen was my favorite part of that run.
    Last edited by Mateo3000; 01-09-2019 at 08:23 AM.

  15. #105
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    Careful what you say about Fantomex...he's Marvel's "Premier Thief" and his MAX series sold a "whopping" 9,000 copies.

    Marvel's been trying to make this guy happen for 17 years now. I think they've finally cooled off...he's basically a combination of Gambit and Deadpool...but with no fan base.
    I'm so glad he's gone, may he never come back. Nearly all of the Gambit and Deadpool fans I know in my real life and on the web absolutely hate the character.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •