Page 97 of 179 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 2671

I think the thing I'm coming to realize is people are always coming and going from comics. So while some may be alienated by a certain writer or event, others may be being brought in or brought back by that same writer or event. Literally every comic fan I know has come and gone at some point. The X-Men were most popular when XTAS was bringing people in and Marvel was heavily investing in the books and advertising them. The last decade or so, they've been pushing their other lines like Avengers and practically ignoring the X-Men. And also people have been steadily moving away from print in general. So while writing teams are a factor, they are probably only a piece of the puzzle of the books declining. General X-fans overall seem to have liked Carey's run even if he really fell flat for many Gambit and Rogue fans.

At any rate, if Mahmud Asrar's Twitter poll and JDW's Twitter poll are any indication, Gambit and Rogue are still very popular despite those low points in their continuity. Though some people's reactions to Babs Tarr's saucy drawing definitely showed that many people aren't up to speed on current continuity. LOL

Truth of the matter is, these characters are essentially eternal beings. Being killed off or married doesn't mean anything ultimately - look at Jean Grey! They can always be brought back to life, separated, and/or reunited. (And anything can be kept alive in fanfic.) And it always means that sooner or later some fans will get the storyline they always wanted and other fans will get the storyline they will hate forever. Everyone can't be happy.

As a Romy fan who has been wanting this storyline and patiently hoping for literal decades to see it, I just want the chance to enjoy this and for Marvel let it play out as long as it can. We all know it can't last forever. But as rarely as comic characters are allowed to marry, I really want to see it fully explored first.

Anyway ... off the soapbox ... how about that X-Men Monday?

IMG_20190603_173158.jpg
    Last edited by AppleJ; 06-03-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Great image! I'm so looking forward to this issue, even though I'm sad it will be the last one. I hate to see this series go(it's my favorite currently running comic), but I am grateful for what we got. 12 issues is a lot in this day and age of comics so we are lucky to have even gotten this many issues. Can't wait to see where they land next and hopefully it will be under Thompson's pen.

Quote Originally Posted by thjan View Post
    Great image! I'm so looking forward to this issue, even though I'm sad it will be the last one. I hate to see this series go(it's my favorite currently running comic), but I am grateful for what we got. 12 issues is a lot in this day and age of comics so we are lucky to have even gotten this many issues. Can't wait to see where they land next and hopefully it will be under Thompson's pen.
    Heck yeah. I'm feeling confident about the finale being super-satisfying at least, and the fact that KT has worked towards this ending knowing that it's coming will hopefully mean it's memorable, if likely bittersweet.

I wonder which is heftier pressure for a writer. Continuous storytelling or the Finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I wonder which is heftier pressure for a writer. Continuous storytelling or the Finale.
    There's possibly a graph of length of series vs pressure you could plot wherein the finale for, say, issue #100 is much more taxing than a finale for #36, but perhaps a #12 finale is more pressured than a #36 because you could nail it and get a second chance? Number of plots to wrap up/surprise of cancellation would affect the pressure too!

(Apologies if the above makes me sound like I am befuddled.)

Comic Geek in General

I wonder if the finale would tie into Uncanny’s or AoX Omega (as far as I know, they missed the fracas with Nate, and are presumed dead by Scott’s Team.....perhaps Gambit and Rogue would arrive at the last page to where the team is, and be present in the Final Battle plus when the bulk of the team returns)

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy View Post
    I wonder if the finale would tie into Uncanny’s or AoX Omega (as far as I know, they missed the fracas with Nate, and are presumed dead by Scott’s Team.....perhaps Gambit and Rogue would arrive at the last page to where the team is, and be present in the Final Battle plus when the bulk of the team returns)
    I don`t think that they will appear in Uncanny or have some Uncanny or AOX showings at the end. I think they will get home. Take fresh costumes and after kiss they will tell that they are ready for anything that comes futher together.

Astonishing Member

That would work. KT can’t do much anyway because of Hickman, so let it have a ‘happy ending’ for the trade.

I kinda of thought KT had made a mistake with not tying into to the cross over, because cross over generally help sales, (that’s why marvel is always doing them) But now we know that everything was going to get cancelled for Hickman, a small sales bump wouldn’t have helped anyway. So it was better to have two good trades, uninterrupted by a random crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    That would work. KT can’t do much anyway because of Hickman, so let it have a ‘happy ending’ for the trade.

I kinda of thought KT had made a mistake with not tying into to the cross over, because cross over generally help sales, (that’s why marvel is always doing them) But now we know that everything was going to get cancelled for Hickman, a small sales bump wouldn’t have helped anyway. So it was better to have two good trades, uninterrupted by a random crossover.
    Completely agree that at the end it was a good thing that MMX wasn't a part of AOX.

But at the same time it annoys me a lot that Gambit and Rogue never appear in crossovers and big events.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post

Cancelled sounds like failure.
    I prefer "Concludes" since they all knew well in advance about the finality.
    There is a distinct difference in the two.
    Last edited by Fokken; 06-04-2019 at 11:16 AM.

Incredible Member

Well, since I complained about guys writing Rogue I might as well balance it out and complain about dudes on twitter and Gambit. Feel free to scroll past my whininess.

It seems the new trend is for guys who like the X-Men is to make statements like “I like Gambit but he can problematic and too misogynistic.” While this is better than “I don’t like Gambit” which we dealt with for years...it still drives me crazy. Gambit is a character who has a large female fan base, so I really wish sometimes instead of dudes proclaiming a character misogynistic that they would actually try talking to female fans about the character. I’m not expecting people to have a doctorate level knowledge of him, but come on! Have they read other male comic characters? They can all be pretty gross at times. I’m not saying Gambit hasn’t had some cringy panels and stories, but it’s frustrating when they pin something all on Gambit when there are plenty of other characters who are way worse and don’t have as large of a female fan base. Guess what? Gambit thinks all the best X-Men are women too!

Obviously to the male posters in this thread, please take no offense as this isn’t directed towards you at all. Just needed to get a female Gambit fan gripe off my chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Cancelled sounds like failure.
    I prefer "Concludes" since they all knew well in advance about the finality.
    There is a distinct difference in the two.
    True. Honestly the fact that KT was probably a bit hemmed in on plot options from the get-go due to AoXM and the limitation of 12 issues explains a LOT about why the Space and Mojo arcs were chosen. They had to be off the board or they would have gotten sucked into AoXM, which would have immediately separated our newly married couple and probably have derailed or complicated the arc to solve Rogue's powers.

I really love seeing them tied back in with the team and want them in big events and I'm really glad we got to have some of that team time in issue #6 and hints to outside plot in #11, but I wouldn't have wanted more at the expense of their own character and relationship development and this chance at shoring up their new marriage before whatever HoX/PoX turns out to be.

Incredible Member

A) This is an Marvel heavy list

B) You can tell they just took copy from another list and added Mr and Mrs X at the bottom

https://www.newsarama.com/15605-supe...-romances.html

Quote Originally Posted by Couplest View Post
    A) This is an Marvel heavy list

B) You can tell they just took copy from another list and added Mr and Mrs X at the bottom

https://www.newsarama.com/15605-supe...-romances.html
    True, true, but I'm not complaining. LOL I found their summary of who the Gambit and Rogue fans are intriguing though!

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Couplest View Post
    Well, since I complained about guys writing Rogue I might as well balance it out and complain about dudes on twitter and Gambit. Feel free to scroll past my whininess.

It seems the new trend is for guys who like the X-Men is to make statements like “I like Gambit but he can problematic and too misogynistic.” While this is better than “I don’t like Gambit” which we dealt with for years...it still drives me crazy. Gambit is a character who has a large female fan base, so I really wish sometimes instead of dudes proclaiming a character misogynistic that they would actually try talking to female fans about the character. I’m not expecting people to have a doctorate level knowledge of him, but come on! Have they read other male comic characters? They can all be pretty gross at times. I’m not saying Gambit hasn’t had some cringy panels and stories, but it’s frustrating when they pin something all on Gambit when there are plenty of other characters who are way worse and don’t have as large of a female fan base. Guess what? Gambit thinks all the best X-Men are women too!

Obviously to the male posters in this thread, please take no offense as this isn’t directed towards you at all. Just needed to get a female Gambit fan gripe off my chest.
    I've honestly been one of those guys in the past, but I've since come to the thinking that he's just had some crappy writing in the past, much like so many characters.
    Make Good Art