Page 98 of 179 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108148 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 2671
    Incredible Member

I really appreciate that reply. If more guys are finding something problematic “on behalf of women” then actual women are...it would just be nice if they would take a minute to contemplate why that is. I don’t think the intention is to be condescending but it can really feel that way.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Couplest View Post
    I really appreciate that reply. If more guys are finding something problematic “on behalf of women” then actual women are...it would just be nice if they would take a minute to contemplate why that is. I don’t think the intention is to be condescending but it can really feel that way.
    I honestly think part of it could come from the time we are living in with all of the abuse allegations going around. It's ironic, really.

For me, it was listening to Jay and Miles or seeing those comments like you're talking about and feeling bad for liking the character because of the way he's been written in the past. Then (to tie it back to this thread), a lot of people would use that as justification why Rogue is "too good for him" or something
    Make Good Art

Incredible Member

Oh man! I didn’t know Jay and Miles said similar things. That’s a bummer. My job is crazy and my kids are THE WORST at going to bed so I never get to listen to podcasts even though I wish I could. I binged The lost trail in two days last week when they were at their grandparents house. Maybe someday I’ll catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    True, true, but I'm not complaining. LOL I found their summary of who the Gambit and Rogue fans are intriguing though!
    You mean this: "GAMBIT & ROGUE: And here we have one of the most beloved X-Men relationships ever, responsible for bringing an entire generation of readers, 'shippers, fanfic enthusiasts, and soap opera junkies into X-Men comic books."

LMAO. Yeah, they aren't wrong, I think all of us fall into two or more of those categories.

Also: well said, Couplest!

Quote Originally Posted by Nox Noctes View Post
    It's interesting how we all had more or less the same reaction to Rogue's portrayal. To me, it just wasn't her at all: what she did was simply out-of-character (or at least, who I've always thought Rogue to be). Carey was a Rogneto fan and forced the storyline to the detriment of the characters. Frankly, I couldn't read anything Marvel after Carey until the Rogue & Gambit mini came out...and I honestly don't think I missed much (I did speed read a few trades from the library last year though just to catch up ;P). I'm still not sure what to expect next now that MMX is wrapping up.
    Exactly how I feel. Exactly! When M&MX goes I won't have a single Marvel book on my pull list. I'll basically go back into hibernation like I was after Carey did was he did with Rogue. She and Gambit are the only thing that keeps me giving a crap about the X-Men.

I remember blasting that arc in the old Rogue thread and getting scolded and mocked for it. Good to know I wasn't the only one out there. Literally someone said I was slut-shaming her and I should be more with the times. It confused the hell out of me (I'm still confused).

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Couplest View Post
    Oh man! I didn’t know Jay and Miles said similar things. That’s a bummer. My job is crazy and my kids are THE WORST at going to bed so I never get to listen to podcasts even though I wish I could. I binged The lost trail in two days last week when they were at their grandparents house. Maybe someday I’ll catch up.
    Yeah, it's unfortunate because I like listening to them, but it can be a bummer some days haha I've heard they've gotten better recently though
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    Exactly how I feel. Exactly! When M&MX goes I won't have a single Marvel book on my pull list. I'll basically go back into hibernation like I was after Carey did was he did with Rogue. She and Gambit are the only thing that keeps me giving a crap about the X-Men.

I remember blasting that arc in the old Rogue thread and getting scolded and mocked for it. Good to know I wasn't the only one out there. Literally someone said I was slut-shaming her and I should be more with the times. It confused the hell out of me (I'm still confused).
    Yeah, me too (I've already gone to the dark side and starting catching up on some DC stuff). I'm keeping an eye on any cast-related news in HoX just in case, but I'd be surprised if they make an appearance despite that lovely Joe Mad variant cover. As soon as MMX is over, it will be the long wait until a new team book later this year, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Yeah, it's unfortunate because I like listening to them, but it can be a bummer some days haha I've heard they've gotten better recently though
    They have! Actually Miles has never been as down on him as Jay has. But Jay recently has had some really nice things to say about him and is kind of coming around a little bit. And really to be fair they mock ALL the characters to some extent, even their faves. I know some Gambit fans may not be big on KT, but I have never seen more people turn around on Gambit as I have since she has been writing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nox Noctes View Post
    You mean this: "GAMBIT & ROGUE: And here we have one of the most beloved X-Men relationships ever, responsible for bringing an entire generation of readers, 'shippers, fanfic enthusiasts, and soap opera junkies into X-Men comic books."

LMAO. Yeah, they aren't wrong, I think all of us fall into two or more of those categories.

Also: well said, Couplest!
    For sure! I was especially surprised to see the fanfic mentioned. Surely other comic couples have a bunch of fanfic also? I guess I just assumed they do?

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    For sure! I was especially surprised to see the fanfic mentioned. Surely other comic couples have a bunch of fanfic also? I guess I just assumed they do?
    I have no idea, frankly. Romy has always had a strong fanfic following. I assume it's because their relationship was such a slow burn, relegated to a couple of pages here and there, that impatient fans came up with their own stories. That's my guess anyway.

They have a fan art presence as well. On my personal DeviantArt page, my most favourited art pieces are either the individual Gambits or Rogues...or both together. The only other fictional character that rivals them is Daenerys. On DeviantArt in general, there is a lot of ROMY art.
    Last edited by Sparta; 06-05-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Ugh this thread has been a rough unpleasant read for the past few pages

pfft so many WTFs, but hey each to their own.

But seeing as Rogue is half of Romy, I'm gonna chime in for the benefit of any possible new Romy fans.

X-Men Legacy to its, Mike Careys, Rogues and Gambits credit sustained a long run, with high sales.

The Magneto relationship was just one small plot point of the run. It wasn't sexist (one glaring evidence of which is that Rogue was the freaking LEAD character and a powerhouse), it wasn't a self insert piece (KT could be accused of inserting herself into Rogue - but most Rogue fans are being respectful and abide by the forum rules of being respectful to creators) And no Rogue wasn't a tramp, she slept with one bloke in all those years that himself doesn't shag about, and no it didn't just come from nowhere, it had been building for years!!!

I'm not a Magneto shipper at all, but from a purely pragmatic X-Men readers POV, he can/could position her in a central/dynamic/intriguing position within the x-universe (see Hickman, HOX, POX)

Gambit was right there during Legacy and contributed, Yes he wasn't the lead, but Carey obviously was more intrigued and mused about Rogue (that doesn't mean he had any malice towards Gambit, quite the opposite, I thought he treated him with respect) I don't remember any other writers clamoring to write him at that time. He was given a relationship/dynamic with Frenzy, which Romy fans could muse that Carey left enough ambiguity to it that maybe, just maybe Magneto and Frenzy were in cahoots. Yes, that's not a very positive interpretation of it all towards Gambit and Frenzy, or Rogue and Magneto but hey, there has been no follow up to them or any appreciation of the dynamic since, so pfft It's not for me to give a ****. I think relationships can hamper a characters desirability and appeal.

Age of X is the strongest Romy story that I've ever read.

These are just reactions to the posts I've read in this thread - not stuff that I want to discuss further, as they are the past

TLDR Gambit and Romy fans can be the most derogatory towards Rogue and her given achievements than the most hateful of haters even now still, ugh

Yes it's (the Carey debacle) in the past, where it belongs. Not in the present or future. blech. ew. gag. barf.

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    Yes it's (the Carey debacle) in the past, where it belongs. Not in the present or future. blech. ew. gag. barf.
    Definetely!

And now something to cleanse the palate after such discussions:

Anyone seen this print from Sideshow right now? DANG!