Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Classic Horror Comics

What horror comics are you guys into? Read anything good lately?

Im almost finished with the Dark Horse 'Creepy' archive, vol. 1. In the words of Archie Goodwin, "Good Lord!"..I am hooked . Will eventually try to work my way into Eerie and/or Vampirella. Also really want to check out the EC creepies like 'Tales from the Crypt' and 'Vault of Horror'.

Love the EC's, but have never understood the appeal of Vampi, outside of the obvious Frazetta costume.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

I've got a full set of Shock SuspenStories annuals, which collect all 16 issues. Really fun comics. My next EC buys will be the Fantagraphics EC Library, the trade dress is gorgeous and I think the art looks even better in B&W.

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    Love the EC's, but have never understood the appeal of Vampi, outside of the obvious Frazetta costume.
    I liked the camp factor of her original stories: alien vampire from a planet with rivers of blood, skimpy costume with go-go boots. It's like Barbarella interpreted by the Hammer horror franchise!

In fact, the costume was designed by Trina Robbins.

What we do is secret Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

I've been reading IDW's Haunted Horror series collecting pre-code stories. Really cool stuff. I have some EC comics reprint floppies that I still haven't gotten around to read yet. Does anyone know if there are black and white editions of EC?? I would love to see Graham Ingels art in B&W.
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, The Goddamned, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy, King Conan, Last Gang in Town, Sherrif of Babylon, Stray Bullets, Usagi Yojimbo, Weird Love

Fantastic Member

Strange;32834]I've been reading IDW's Haunted Horror series collecting pre-code stories. Really cool stuff. I have some EC comics reprint floppies that I still haven't gotten around to read yet. Does anyone know if there are black and white editions of EC?? I would love to see Graham Ingels art in B&W.[/QUOTE]

Youre in luck! http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/160699...110_SY165_QL70

The EC Library series is all creator focused and in black and white. The quality and content of the books I've gotten from them so far has been great.

Quote Originally Posted by Oskar Von Strange View Post
    I've been reading IDW's Haunted Horror series collecting pre-code stories. Really cool stuff. I have some EC comics reprint floppies that I still haven't gotten around to read yet. Does anyone know if there are black and white editions of EC?? I would love to see Graham Ingels art in B&W.
    I used to have a near complete library of Russ Cochran's oversized EC reprints from the 90's. Hard to find and expensive but worth it. Glossy color covers and large b & w reprints.
    Engaging discussion of comics 10 years old or older http://classiccomics.boards.net

I used to have a near complete library of Russ Cochran's oversized EC reprints from the 90's. Hard to find and expensive but worth it. Glossy color covers and large b & w reprints.
    What hondobrode said.

Publisher Russ Cochran reprinted the entirety of the EC New Trend comics in a library of oversized (9" × 12") hardcover slipcased b&w volumes published between the late 1970s and the mid-2000s. MAD was almost an exception; it was published in color. However, Cochran knew that some fans would be purists and would want their MAD set to be consistent with the rest of the library, and he did make b&w MAD sets to order.

All these are out of print, and they never were cheap, but you'd be hard pressed to find more beautiful comics anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Oskar Von Strange View Post
    Ohhh yeah. Ive had my eye on the Haunted Horror collection for awhile. Id like to see how the non-EC horror comics differ.

This collection of old Dick Briefer Monster of Frankenstein has caught my attention as well. Seems kindof obscure?

double post

Amazing Member

The early runs of Creepy and Eerie were exceptional featuring legendary artists and writers. These books were truly the 'children' of the EC's. As far as mainstream comics, NOTHING compares to Marv Wolfman and Gene Colan's 'Tomb of Dracula'. Although IMO their run faded towards the end.
    Last edited by Chazro; 05-04-2014 at 11:24 PM.

What we do is secret Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnsme View Post
    Youre in luck! http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/160699...110_SY165_QL70

The EC Library series is all creator focused and in black and white. The quality and content of the books I've gotten from them so far has been great.
    That's awesome. I'm definitely going to get that bad boy. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Fan of Bronze View Post
    What hondobrode said.

Publisher Russ Cochran reprinted the entirety of the EC New Trend comics in a library of oversized (9" × 12") hardcover slipcased b&w volumes published between the late 1970s and the mid-2000s. MAD was almost an exception; it was published in color. However, Cochran knew that some fans would be purists and would want their MAD set to be consistent with the rest of the library, and he did make b&w MAD sets to order.

All these are out of print, and they never were cheap, but you'd be hard pressed to find more beautiful comics anywhere.
    -sigh- Well that's a shame. Would have love to get my hands on a complete EC comics in B&W.
    Last edited by Oskar Von Strange; 05-05-2014 at 06:52 PM.
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, The Goddamned, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy, King Conan, Last Gang in Town, Sherrif of Babylon, Stray Bullets, Usagi Yojimbo, Weird Love

So Ive always wondered, is there any notable differences between the 3 EC series (Tales from the Crypt, Haunt of Fear, Vault of Horror)? Or are they fairly interchangeable besides having different hosts? i know Tales from the Crypt used to be Crime Patrol, but does it continue to be supernatural crime stories?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    So Ive always wondered, is there any notable differences between the 3 EC series (Tales from the Crypt, Haunt of Fear, Vault of Horror)? Or are they fairly interchangeable besides having different hosts? i know Tales from the Crypt used to be Crime Patrol, but does it continue to be supernatural crime stories?
    Not really. The only someways notable differences are in the artists; Haunt is Ingels centric, Vault's tone is set around Johnny Craig as lead artist, and Crypt was the most diverse although it later settled on Davis. But ultimately this doesn't mark much difference between them.