Page 43 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    Scot Eaton will draw the Larry's Hama story for the Exit Wounds one shot.

source: https://www.newsarama.com/45122-scot...nds-story.html

Not a bad choice, he drew several Wolverine and X-Men comics in the past such as:

Wolverine Origins:

and

X-Factor during Messiah Complex:

But also X-Men Legacy, X-Men Endangered species and many others.
    Eaton was the only thing that made the second half of Wolverine Origins bearable, i could almost believe than that scene with Kurt was cool....if i haven't read the issue lol, so hey good for us to have him in something decent this time,
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

I'm new to Comics, but a little familiar with most major Characters, but there are so many different Stories with Logan/wolverine... any recommendations on where to start? Looking for Some good Wolverine books.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin J View Post
    I'm new to Comics, but a little familiar with most major Characters, but there are so many different Stories with Logan/wolverine... any recommendations on where to start? Looking for Some good Wolverine books.
    Right in the first page of this thread there is a link of a thread that i made when Hush gave me a list of the best and the worst of Wolverine. ait was very usefull to me when i was starting with the characther, so i recommend it.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Eaton was the only thing that made the second half of Wolverine Origins bearable, i could almost believe than that scene with Kurt was cool....if i haven't read the issue lol, so hey good for us to have him in something decent this time,
    So true about that Nightcrawler issue lol and I agree Eaton is a great artist but unfortunately he had to draw that horrible Way's run in the past, at least he will now draw a good Wolverine story thanks to Hama.

If you want to start reading Wolverine comics and don't mind "old" comics from the 70s, 80s and 90s start with those stories:

Before Wolverine joined the X-Men:

- Marvel Comics Present #72-84 "Weapon X" by Barry Windsor Smith: It's the best Wolverine story ever written and it will tell you how Logan got his famous adamantium skeleton and claws
    - Incredible Hulk Vol.1 #180-182 by Len Wein and Herb Trimpe = The first appearance of Wolverine and his first fight with the Hulk

As part of the X-Men:

- Giant Size X-Men Vol.1 #1 by Len Wein & Dave Cockrum, Wolverine meets Professor Xavier and joins the X-Men
    - Uncanny X-Men Vol.1 #133, #205, #213, #251 & #268 by Chris Claremont, it's basically all the Wolverine centric issues from Chris Claremont's first X-Men run and they're all amazing. Now if you want my opinion, you should read every X-Men & Wolverine issues Claremont wrote between 1975-1991, he's the writer who defined them and his run serves as the foundation for a lot of modern X-Men & Wolverine stories.
    - The Incredible Hulk Vol.1 #340 "Vicious Circle" by Peter David & Todd McFarlane (the rematch between Wolverine & Hulk)

Solo adventures:

- Wolverine Vol.1 #1-4 + Uncanny X-Men Vol.1 #172-173 = The first Wolverine mini by Claremont and Frank Miller, and its followup by Claremont/Smith. The tragic story of Wolverine and Mariko and the start of Wolverine's Japan adventures.
    - Kitty Pryde and Wolverine Vol.1 #1-6 by Chris Claremont & Al Milgrom: The second Wolverine mini, where Logan trains his first sidekick and faces his master: Lord Orgun
    - Marvel Comics Presents Vol.1 #1-10 + Wolverine Vol.2 #1-30 by Chris Claremont, Peter David, Archie Goodwin, Jo Duffy, John Buscema, John Byrne, Klaus Janson & Bill Sienkiewicz. The start of the Wolverine ongoing with several stories that takes place in the lawless island of Madripoor, really enjoyable.
    - Wolverine Vol.2 #31-57 by Larry Hama & Marc Silvestri, the most popular run on the character. (issue #34 is my favorite)
    - X-Men Vol.2 #25 + Wolverine Vol.2 #75-90 by Larry Hama & Adam Kubert, Wolverine losing his healing factor, his adamantium skeleton and claws, going on a world tour and facing his greatest foes. Really good stuff, one of my favorite run.
    - Wolverine Vol.2 #119-122 "Not Dead Yet" by Warren Ellis and Leinil Francis Yu, Logan facing the greatest hitman that ever lived.

Now If you just want to read modern stuff post 00s (just read the Weapon X story by Barry Windsor Smith and the first Wolverine mini by Claremont and Frank Miller that I've listed previously at least) start with those stories:

Solo adventures:

- Origin Vol.1 #1-6 by Jemas, Jenkins, Quesada & Andy Kubert: The controversial story of Wolverine's origins. Truth be told, I don't like this story at all, but unfortunately if you're going to read some modern stories with Wolverine, it might be useful to read it first.
    - Wolverine Vol.2 #159-176 & #181-185 by Frank Tieri & Sean Chen: The best modern run on the character, I started reading Wolverine comics with this run, it's a really good starting point for new readers.
    - Wolverine Vol.3 #1-19 by Greg Rucka, a more grounded run but still really good stuff
    - Wolverine Vol.3 #20-32 by Mark Millar, John Romita Jr & Kaare Andrew, The blockbuster storyline that put Wolverine against the heroes and villains of the Marvel Universe, one of the most popular Wolverine story, really fun stuff!
    The last issue is a flashback that takes place during WWII in the Sobibor camp and is much different but it's still amazing!

Team books:

- New X-Men vol.1 #114-154 + annual 2001 by Grant Morrison (New X-Men #148 is a must)
    - Uncanny X-Force vol.1 #1-35 + 5.1 + 19.1 by Rick Remender
    - Savage Avengers Vol.1 #1 by Gerry Duggan & Mike Deodato Jr. The series just started but it's writen by Gerry Duggan one of the best Wolverine writers in recent years and the first issue is really fun!

Team-up:

- Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine Vol.1 #1-6 by Jason Aaron & Adam Kubert, a really fun time travelling adventure with Spider-Man and Wolverine
    - Deadpool Vol 3 #15-19 by Duggan & Posehn, one of the best modern story starring Deadpool, Wolverine and Captain America.

There is also something interesting to read if you're a new reader, it's called Old Man Logan. Old Man Logan is an older version of Wolverine who basically lives in a dystopian future ruled by supervillains. He's one of the most popular alternate version of Wolverine, he even managed to come to our reality for a little while recently. Here is the reading order
    :

- Wolverine Vol.3 #66-72 + Giant Size Old Man Logan #1 by Mark Millar & Steve McNiven
    - Old Man Logan Vol.1 #1-5 by Brian Michael Bendis & Andrea Sorrentino
    - Old Man Logan Vol.2 #1-24 by Jeff Lemire & Andrea Sorrentino
    - Old Man Logan Vol.2 #25-50 + Annual #1 by Ed Brisson
    - Dead Man Logan Vol.1 #1-12 by Ed Brisson

You can also try the "Ultimate Universe", it was a line of comics that was launched in the early 00s that was specialy aimed at new readers and which featured re-imagined and updated versions of several Marvel superheroes. The stories takes place in another reality and in modern times, they are easy to follow but be warned though the Wolverine of this universe is really different from the classic version, still it's really entertaining. Here is the reading order:

- Ultimate X-Men Vol.1 #1-65 by Millar, Bendis & Vaughan but if you need to read only one issue Ultimate X-Men vol.1 #41 by Bendis is a must.
    - Ultimate War Vol.1 #1-4 by Millar & Bachalo
    - Ultimate Wolverine vs Ultimate Hulk Vol.1 #1-6 by Damon Lindelof & Leinil Francis Yu

If you just want to read the best Wolverine stories, like TheCape said I did a list of what I think are the best and worst Wolverine stories that could be useful to you here:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...rine-Solo-Runs

Now a word of advice, if you see a Wolverine story written by either Daniel Way, Paul Cornell, Charles Soule or Jeph Loeb just avoid at all costs!

As you can see that's a lot of material, most of those stories are available on Marvel Unlimited so if you don't mind digital comics try to read them here. If you prefer physical comics, most of those stories were collected in several collected editions. Check those links, if you want to know where those stories were collected:

https://crushingkrisis.com/crushing-...l-comic-books/

https://crushingkrisis.com/definitiv...raphic-novels/

If you need more informations, feel free to ask

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Right in the first page of this thread there is a link of a thread that i made when Hush gave me a list of the best and the worst of Wolverine. ait was very usefull to me when i was starting with the characther, so i recommend it.
    Thanks man, I will try to update the list soon!
    Last edited by Hush; 05-12-2019 at 02:13 PM.

His first limited series is good.

I'd go with what everyone recommended here and for the fun of it you should read Wolverine Dark Reign, it isn't actually Logan donning the Wolverine mantle, but his son Daken, its one the best fights i've ever seen in a comic to date.

To add to the list of don't read is Tom Taylor's stuff, especially Wolverine Generations, i read over that again recently and couldn't believe how shite it all was.

And just an general question to everyone here, anyone collecting Wolverine keys or are you lot trade and digital guys?
    Last edited by Mr Abductor; 05-13-2019 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Abductor View Post
    I'd go with what everyone recommended here and for the fun of it you should read Wolverine Dark Reign, it isn't actually Logan donning the Wolverine mantle, but his son Daken, its one the best fights i've ever seen in a comic to date.

To add to the list of don't read is Tom Taylor's stuff, especially Wolverine Generations, i read over that again recently and couldn't believe how shite it all was.

And just an general question to everyone here, anyone collecting Wolverine keys or are you lot trade and digital guys?
    I used to purchase key issues when I was younger but not anymore, nowadays when it comes to physical comics I only buy oversized hardcovers (Omnibus & Deluxe editions). For TPB and single issues, I buy them in digital, the only exceptions are the Wolverine epic collections that I'm still buying in physical edition.

Thanks to Tycon and Maestroneto in the HOUSE OF X & POWERS OF 10 COVER REVEALS thread, we now have the covers of House of X #2 and #3:

And an interview with Jonathan Hickman:

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/05...e-powers-of-x/

I really want to have a better look at this new Wolverine's costume but so far so good! According to Hickman the new creative teams for the new X-Books post House of X and Powers of X will be announced in July around SDCC 2019, so with any luck we're going to learn the new Wolverine creative team here

One thing for sure, Hickman will write the flagship title after the end of House of X and Powers of X, which is an amazing news!

In other news, if you like reading digital comics, Comixology is running a big Savage Avengers sale which include a lot of Wolverine and Old Man Logan digital comics:

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sa...d=29981&lang=1

Really good sale, especially for people who want to start reading Wolverine! Sale ends Monday, 05/20/2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    So true about that Nightcrawler issue lol and I agree Eaton is a great artist but unfortunately he had to draw that horrible Way's run in the past, at least he will now draw a good Wolverine story thanks to Hama.

If you want to start reading Wolverine comics and don't mind "old" comics from the 70s, 80s and 90s start with those stories:

Before Wolverine joined the X-Men:

- Marvel Comics Present #72-84 "Weapon X" by Barry Windsor Smith: It's the best Wolverine story ever written and it will tell you how Logan got his famous adamantium skeleton and claws
    - Incredible Hulk Vol.1 #180-182 by Len Wein and Herb Trimpe = The first appearance of Wolverine and his first fight with the Hulk

As part of the X-Men:

- Giant Size X-Men Vol.1 #1 by Len Wein & Dave Cockrum, Wolverine meets Professor Xavier and joins the X-Men
    - Uncanny X-Men Vol.1 #133, #205, #213, #251 & #268 by Chris Claremont, it's basically all the Wolverine centric issues from Chris Claremont's first X-Men run and they're all amazing. Now if you want my opinion, you should read every X-Men & Wolverine issues Claremont wrote between 1975-1991, he's the writer who defined them and his run serves as the foundation for a lot of modern X-Men & Wolverine stories.
    - The Incredible Hulk Vol.1 #340 "Vicious Circle" by Peter David & Todd McFarlane (the rematch between Wolverine & Hulk)

Solo adventures:

- Wolverine Vol.1 #1-4 + Uncanny X-Men Vol.1 #172-173 = The first Wolverine mini by Claremont and Frank Miller, and its followup by Claremont/Smith. The tragic story of Wolverine and Mariko and the start of Wolverine's Japan adventures.
    - Kitty Pryde and Wolverine Vol.1 #1-6 by Chris Claremont & Al Milgrom: The second Wolverine mini, where Logan trains his first sidekick and faces his master: Lord Orgun
    - Marvel Comics Presents Vol.1 #1-10 + Wolverine Vol.2 #1-30 by Chris Claremont, Peter David, Archie Goodwin, Jo Duffy, John Buscema, John Byrne, Klaus Janson & Bill Sienkiewicz. The start of the Wolverine ongoing with several stories that takes place in the lawless island of Madripoor, really enjoyable.
    - Wolverine Vol.2 #31-57 by Larry Hama & Marc Silvestri, the most popular run on the character. (issue #34 is my favorite)
    - X-Men Vol.2 #25 + Wolverine Vol.2 #75-90 by Larry Hama & Adam Kubert, Wolverine losing his healing factor, his adamantium skeleton and claws, going on a world tour and facing his greatest foes. Really good stuff, one of my favorite run.
    - Wolverine Vol.2 #119-122 "Not Dead Yet" by Warren Ellis and Leinil Francis Yu, Logan facing the greatest hitman that ever lived.

Now If you just want to read modern stuff post 00s (just read the Weapon X story by Barry Windsor Smith and the first Wolverine mini by Claremont and Frank Miller that I've listed previously at least) start with those stories:

Solo adventures:

- Origin Vol.1 #1-6 by Jemas, Jenkins, Quesada & Andy Kubert: The controversial story of Wolverine's origins. Truth be told, I don't like this story at all, but unfortunately if you're going to read some modern stories with Wolverine, it might be useful to read it first.
    - Wolverine Vol.2 #159-176 & #181-185 by Frank Tieri & Sean Chen: The best modern run on the character, I started reading Wolverine comics with this run, it's a really good starting point for new readers.
    - Wolverine Vol.3 #1-19 by Greg Rucka, a more grounded run but still really good stuff
    - Wolverine Vol.3 #20-32 by Mark Millar, John Romita Jr & Kaare Andrew, The blockbuster storyline that put Wolverine against the heroes and villains of the Marvel Universe, one of the most popular Wolverine story, really fun stuff!
    The last issue is a flashback that takes place during WWII in the Sobibor camp and is much different but it's still amazing!

Team books:

- New X-Men vol.1 #114-154 + annual 2001 by Grant Morrison (New X-Men #148 is a must)
    - Uncanny X-Force vol.1 #1-35 + 5.1 + 19.1 by Rick Remender
    - Savage Avengers Vol.1 #1 by Gerry Duggan & Mike Deodato Jr. The series just started but it's writen by Gerry Duggan one of the best Wolverine writers in recent years and the first issue is really fun!

Team-up:

- Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine Vol.1 #1-6 by Jason Aaron & Adam Kubert, a really fun time travelling adventure with Spider-Man and Wolverine
    - Deadpool Vol 3 #15-19 by Duggan & Posehn, one of the best modern story starring Deadpool, Wolverine and Captain America.

There is also something interesting to read if you're a new reader, it's called Old Man Logan. Old Man Logan is an older version of Wolverine who basically lives in a dystopian future ruled by supervillains. He's one of the most popular alternate version of Wolverine, he even managed to come to our reality for a little while recently. Here is the reading order
    :

- Wolverine Vol.3 #66-72 + Giant Size Old Man Logan #1 by Mark Millar & Steve McNiven
    - Old Man Logan Vol.1 #1-5 by Brian Michael Bendis & Andrea Sorrentino
    - Old Man Logan Vol.2 #1-24 by Jeff Lemire & Andrea Sorrentino
    - Old Man Logan Vol.2 #25-50 + Annual #1 by Ed Brisson
    - Dead Man Logan Vol.1 #1-12 by Ed Brisson

You can also try the "Ultimate Universe", it was a line of comics that was launched in the early 00s that was specialy aimed at new readers and which featured re-imagined and updated versions of several Marvel superheroes. The stories takes place in another reality and in modern times, they are easy to follow but be warned though the Wolverine of this universe is really different from the classic version, still it's really entertaining. Here is the reading order:

- Ultimate X-Men Vol.1 #1-65 by Millar, Bendis & Vaughan but if you need to read only one issue Ultimate X-Men vol.1 #41 by Bendis is a must.
    - Ultimate War Vol.1 #1-4 by Millar & Bachalo
    - Ultimate Wolverine vs Ultimate Hulk Vol.1 #1-6 by Damon Lindelof & Leinil Francis Yu

If you just want to read the best Wolverine stories, like TheCape said I did a list of what I think are the best and worst Wolverine stories that could be useful to you here:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...rine-Solo-Runs

Now a word of advice, if you see a Wolverine story written by either Daniel Way, Paul Cornell, Charles Soule or Jeph Loeb just avoid at all costs!

As you can see that's a lot of material, most of those stories are available on Marvel Unlimited so if you don't mind digital comics try to read them here. If you prefer physical comics, most of those stories were collected in several collected editions. Check those links, if you want to know where those stories were collected:

https://crushingkrisis.com/crushing-...l-comic-books/

https://crushingkrisis.com/definitiv...raphic-novels/

If you need more informations, feel free to ask

Thanks man, I will try to update the list soon!
    Thanks for all the advice...dang, so I had some of the Death of Wolverine in my wishlist on Comixology...all written by Charles Soule....so not worth it huh? I almost bought the book last weekend....was the complete series...lol

Thanks for all the advice...dang, so I had some of the Death of Wolverine in my wishlist on Comixology...all written by Charles Soule....so not worth it huh? I almost bought the book last weekend....was the complete series...lol
    You're welcome!

This story isn't worth it in my opinion, especially the complete collection which collects several bad stories. If you really want to read this story, just buy the Death of Wolverine tpb:

https://www.comixology.com/Death-of-...9pdGVtU2xpZGVy

That's more than enough.

But honestly this story is so underwhelming, rushed, full of continuity errors and with an abrupt ending that makes the whole thing anticlimactic. The art by McNiven is nice though so if you can find it at a really cheap price maybe you will enjoy it but frankly this "death" storyline isn't worthy of a character like Wolverine, it's not epic at all, it feels unsatisfying and silly especially the ending.

@Hush
    Started off from buying his keys and rogues gallery first, but hit a dead end since i can't get his 1st and more notable rogues like Sabretooth and Silver Samurai so for now i'm just collecting his solo.

Gonna end up getting the Power Pack one shot with Shadowcat and Wolvie
    Skipping all the X stuff as buying into 2 additional series at this point will just eat away what little i already have, I'm already buying Savage, Infinity, Long Night, Presents and DML lol

Me too!

The creative is awesome, too! Simonson/Brigman.

I'm gonna give House and Powers of X a shot, but this is it. Last time. If this re-tooling isn't good, I'm finished. For good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    I'm gonna give House and Powers of X a shot, but this is it. Last time. If this re-tooling isn't good, I'm finished. For good.
    Did you like/read Hickman’s other work at Marvel or independent stories? I have really enjoyed most of his stuff so I have high hopes for this.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

@Hush
    Started off from buying his keys and rogues gallery first, but hit a dead end since i can't get his 1st and more notable rogues like Sabretooth and Silver Samurai so for now i'm just collecting his solo.

Skipping all the X stuff as buying into 2 additional series at this point will just eat away what little i already have, I'm already buying Savage, Infinity, Long Night, Presents and DML lol

Yeah Iron Fist #14 & Daredevil #111 can be really hard to find at a good price, and when those characters will appear in the MCU the price of those issues will be even more crazy in the future. That's true about Hickman's stuff, on top of the several comics I'm buying right now, my wallet ain't going to be happy with two more minis lol.

As much as I wanted Hickman on the X-Men, I'm not sure if I'm going to read his next X-Men title after HOX/POX in back issue. I think his stories read much better in TPB/Deluxe/Omnibus, especially his last Avengers series.

For now the only X-Books I'm still reading in back issues are Infinity Watch, Dead Man Logan & Long Night (which ends this month), MCP #5 will be my last issue. Once Infinity Watch is over, Dead Man Logan, the Exit Wounds one shot, the X-Statix one shot, the Weapon X one shot and AOX/POX will be the only mutant books I will be buying until the big relaunch.

For non mutant books, Savage Avengers, Daredevil, Immortal Hulk & Venom are the Marvel ongoings I like the most right now and the few I think are worth reading in back issues.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Phenom2893 View Post
    Me too

The creative is awesome, too! Simonson/Brigman.
    Thanks I didn't know about this one shot, I will buy it for sure!
    Last edited by Hush; 05-17-2019 at 02:10 AM.

Wolverine previews for next week:

Wolverine Infinity Watch #4:

Source: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...inity-watch-4/

"Bats, fetch the stick", yeah I hope Bats will be part of Wolverine supporting cast in his next ongoing lol. But seriously good preview, I can't wait for this one!

Looks like the "hot claws" appearance in this issue could be a result of the Raptors trying to burn Wolverine's flesh and skeleton.

War Of The Realms Strikeforce: The Land Of Giants #1

Source: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...giants-2019-1/

Art is great and I wanted to see more of this New Avengers reunion after reading the fourth issue of War of the Realms, but yeah not a big fan of the writer so not sure if I'm going to buy this one shot yet.

Marvel Comics Presents #5:

Really good art but beyond that not really impressed, also there is a mistake with both Ororo and Kurt costumes since they didn't have those in 1981, same for Ororo's haircut. The second story with Destiny and Nightcrawler looks much more interesting and it's writen by Chris Claremont so if I buy this issue it will be for this one!

Source: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...cs-presents-5/

Also a new Wolverine Gameplay video for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3:

It looks really good!