Page 71 of 234 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 3507
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    This is why I'm kind of glad they retconned her parentage again in the comics, stupid and petty as it was. It is sort of a buffer against all the fans saying that Wanda should be Magneto's daughter in the MCU too. Now it's not only that they would never have the time to do that, they can always point to the comics and say she's not even Magneto's daughter in the comics any more (until they change it again). One more obstacle to ever doing a comics-accurate, i.e. bad, House of M.
    I think it may also have to do with people's perception on family.
    An out-of-context picture featuring a father and a daughter tend to get "aww, so cute" feeling from general public.
    Also the fan culture kinda shapes all kinds of misunderstanding of the character through influencial fan artists and bloggers.
    An artist who draws cute Magnus family pics may well understand the actual relationship they have in comics, but the casual viewers only see a cute fan art and their brain is already shoving all kinds of loving family tropes on them. (Reflected by the comments.)

By comparison, Wanda with Avengers or even with Vision won't be considered cute enough for casual viewers.

Can you believe there are people who pitch something like "Wanda gets the father she always wanted." I wonder where that came from.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Yeah I don't equate Morgana Quest in with that because she actually had narrative. But those are two other examples for sure. They have options. Especially in team related things.
    Yeah, there are plenty of options for Wanda that don't require Disassembled or HOM. I picked those two because Wanda is instrumental in taking out the main villain.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I think it may also have to do with people's perception on family.
    An out-of-context picture featuring a father and a daughter tend to get "aww, so cute" feeling from general public.
    Also the fan culture kinda shapes all kinds of misunderstanding of the character through influencial fan artists and bloggers.
    An artist who draws cute Magnus family pics may well understand the actual relationship they have in comics, but the casual viewers only see a cute fan art and their brain is already shoving all kinds of loving family tropes on them. (Reflected by the comments.)

By comparison, Wanda with Avengers or even with Vision won't be considered cute enough for casual viewers.

Can you believe there are people who pitch something like "Wanda gets the father she always wanted." I wonder where that came from.
    But Wanda had a Mum and Dad in the MCU.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    But Wanda had a Mum and Dad in the MCU.
    But according to a certain part of the fandom, the parents who raised Wanda don't matter and can be thrown in the trash and forgotten to make way for Magneto, I.e anything important to Wanda as a character can be dumped to facilitate Magneto. She's expendable in their eyes.
    Last edited by Relugus; 05-13-2019 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Clarification.

Fantastic Member

This would be an absolutely perfect theme song for WandaVision:

Mr. Sandman

Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream (bung, bung, bung, bung)
    Make him the cutest that I've ever seen (bung, bung, bung, bung)
    Give him two lips like roses and clover (bung, bung, bung, bung)
    Then tell him that his lonesome nights are over
    Sandman, I'm so alone (bung, bung, bung, bung)
    Don't have nobody to call my own (bung, bung, bung, bung)
    Please turn on your magic beam
    Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream
    Make him the cutest that I've ever seen
    Give him the word that I'm not a rover
    Then tell him that his lonesome nights are over
    Sandman, I'm so alone
    Don't have nobody to call my own
    Please turn on your magic beam
    Mr. Sandman (yes) bring us a dream
    Give him a pair of eyes with a "come-hither" gleam
    Give him a lonely heart like Pagliacci
    And lots of wavy hair like Liberace
    Mr Sandman, someone to hold (someone to hold)
    Would be so peachy before we're too old
    So please turn on your magic beam
    Mr Sandman, bring us, please, please, please
    Mr Sandman, bring us a dream

Not only does it fit the 1950s aesthetic to perfection, it fits thematically too, or rather, I hope it does:

Alone/no one to call my own = Wanda
    Dream = Vision
    His lonesome nights are over = Restoring Vision's emotions
    Mr. Sandman's Magic Beam = Chaos Magic
    Mr. Sandman = Chthon
    Last edited by Relugus; 05-13-2019 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Added and changed some stuff.

Extraordinary Member

Well, Lovecraftian deities are indeed connected to dreams.
    I think Marvel's Elder Gods and Old Ones don't do " communicate through dreams" that often since there is Nightmare.
    There are a lot of small town horror story they can borrow from for WandaVision. (If they want to go in that direction.) Slient Hill's real world/otherworld concept may work well, with the otherworld being a construction of Darkhold or something and the source of nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Relugus View Post
    But according to a certain part of the fandom, the parents who raised Wanda don't matter and can be thrown in the trash and forgotten to make way for Magneto, I.e anything important to Wanda as a character can be dumped to facilitate Magneto. She's expendable in their eyes.
    and that's just sad...

Re: House of M

I think a lot of these actors, producers and screen writers only hear about the core plot of these events and go 'wow that's fantastic' but don't consider how badly it was executed in the actual comics themselves. Or maybe they do but think that they can write a better version for the movie, i.e movie Civil War vs comic book Civil War.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Extraordinary Member

Well, but the core of HoM is also rotten.
    There is really nothing originally good about HoM, if they think Reality Warping is cool, they should pick Morgan Le Fay Quest.

Extraordinary Member

The Morgan story is fun but it's very light, an excuse for Pérez to draw all the Avengers in Renaissance Faire costumes. House of M has the same basic plot but is much more emotional because most of the characters are living in the world they wanted and it hurts to give it up.

I'm not saying one is "better" than the other, but it's not surprising that HoM has had the impact it's had. It really is one of the best of Marvel's standalone events if you don't worry about how little it has to do with Wanda or how she was treated after the story ends, which of course most people don't. I've noticed lots of people saying that the movies don't do Wanda justice because she's so much more powerful, read House of M to see what a badass she is. That may sound strange since she doesn't do much in the story, but the way people remember a story isn't necessarily the same as how it reads.

Yeah they often remember it wrong or see panels online and make their own determinations. People don't seem to realize she wasn't even using her own powers at the time, but the powers of the life force. Because they never were gonna follow through on reading the whole story. They care about feats. But feats can be deceptive or flawed. Take away from characterization. Leaving a shell.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Fantastic Member

The Morgan story is fun but it's very light, an excuse for Pérez to draw all the Avengers in Renaissance Faire costumes. House of M has the same basic plot but is much more emotional because most of the characters are living in the world they wanted and it hurts to give it up.

I'm not saying one is "better" than the other, but it's not surprising that HoM has had the impact it's had. It really is one of the best of Marvel's standalone events if you don't worry about how little it has to do with Wanda or how she was treated after the story ends, which of course most people don't. I've noticed lots of people saying that the movies don't do Wanda justice because she's so much more powerful, read House of M to see what a badass she is. That may sound strange since she doesn't do much in the story, but the way people remember a story isn't necessarily the same as how it reads.
    That's the ironic thing; her feat in Endgame is way more badass and impressive than anything in House of M, in which she does nothing that makes you go "wow". Wanda taking on powerful enemies and using her powers, emotions, and wits to win, we see her truly fight. IMHO it encapsulates so much of what makes Scarlet Witch cool. It's What I want to see much more of.

With HoM you lose all that emotion and excitement and fun, and you just have a character who doesn't fight, they just lay in bed or stand there and say a few words. It's the very definition of unimaginative and boring.
    Last edited by Relugus; 05-13-2019 at 09:51 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Yeah they often remember it wrong or see panels online and make their own determinations. People don't seem to realize she wasn't even using her own powers at the time, but the powers of the life force. Because they never were gonna follow through on reading the whole story. They care about feats. But feats can be deceptive or flawed. Take away from characterization. Leaving a shell.
    Even that is an afterthough, I still kinda resent the fact that Chaos Magic, the most well-defined power system for Wanda was casually tossed away.
    Even if we are just talkinga about a character's power design, HoM is harmful since it trashed the ground work Busiek did.

I'm sorry, but HOM isn't one of the Best Standalone events. Even ignoring what happens to Wanda, it is still badly written from how quickly the new world is undo to the shocking swerve ending and it isn't a standalone, it requires you to know Disassembled and it just leads on to later stories. Also there is no emotion in HOM, given how quickly the heroes decided to undo it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Re: House of M

I think a lot of these actors, producers and screen writers only hear about the core plot of these events and go 'wow that's fantastic' but don't consider how badly it was executed in the actual comics themselves. Or maybe they do but think that they can write a better version for the movie, i.e movie Civil War vs comic book Civil War.
    To be honest, anyone could probably do a better version of HOM than Bendis the Hack