Page 70 of 234 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480120170 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 3507

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Nah, it's because she hasn't actually read it and thinks it's a Wanda-focused story lol.
    Like pretty much anyone who suggests HOM

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Like pretty much anyone who suggests HOM
    I mean what actress in her right mind would actually want a story that has her character as a glorified background furniture.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 05-12-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I mean what actress in her right mind would actually want a story that has her character as a glorified background furniture.
    Excellent Question.

Extraordinary Member

Well, the movies never actually follow the stories of the comics anyway. Presumably if she read only the scenes with her character in them it would look like a good acting opportunity, especially someone like Elizabeth Olsen who mostly does tragic/dramatic roles in her serious work. A story that was actually about Wanda being driven mad by her own power might be fun to act, though I still don't think they should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Well, the movies never actually follow the stories of the comics anyway. Presumably if she read only the scenes with her character in them it would look like a good acting opportunity, especially someone like Elizabeth Olsen who mostly does tragic/dramatic roles in her serious work. A story that was actually about Wanda being driven mad by her own power might be fun to act, though I still don't think they should do it.
    I hope she plays being in a coma well.

Even if they don't follow the exact story, it still links the character to the worst story about her.

People seem to understand why Parallax is bad for Hal, and OMD for Spidey. HoM gets hyped up as Wanda's best story for some reason. It's not even her most defining. Which makes me think that it's not about Wanda at all. It's about the other characters that could appear.

The character deserves more than to constantly be linked to the story that essentially fridged her.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    People seem to understand why Parallax is bad for Hal, and OMD for Spidey. HoM gets hyped up as Wanda's best story for some reason.
    It probably is mostly that it was pretty much the only story she was in during the period that defined the MCU and therefore (for most people) the characters. It wasn't until 2014-5 that she started to have any stories that weren't about the fallout from HoM.

This is why I find it surprising that she even wound up in the MCU and chalk it up to Joss Whedon being a fan from an older generation. Though to be fair the team that inherited her didn't show any signs of wanting to make her crazy or hurt anyone except the villains. But Wanda and Vision are an odd fit in an MCU that is mostly based on the years from 2004 to 2008 or so.

It probably is mostly that it was pretty much the only story she was in during the period that defined the MCU and therefore (for most people) the characters. It wasn't until 2014-5 that she started to have any stories that weren't about the fallout from HoM.

This is why I find it surprising that she even wound up in the MCU and chalk it up to Joss Whedon being a fan from an older generation. Though to be fair the team that inherited her didn't show any signs of wanting to make her crazy or hurt anyone except the villains. But Wanda and Vision are an odd fit in an MCU that is mostly based on the years from 2004 to 2008 or so.
    I'd buy that if they hadn't just done a story inspired by the Infinity Gauntlet that came out in the early 90s. Also people always suggest AvX for X-Men in the MCU like there aren't literally 50 other major story-lines that are so much better. Maybe they just can't recognize hack writing?

Extraordinary Member

I'd buy that if they hadn't just done a story inspired by the Infinity Gauntlet that came out in the early 90s. Also people always suggest AvX for X-Men in the MCU like there aren't literally 50 other major story-lines that are so much better. Maybe they just can't recognize hack writing?
    Well, making Thanos the Big Bad was also Joss Whedon's idea. I'm sure Feige and the others have favorite stories from earlier, of course.

But overall, yeah, I think they really can't recognize hack writing all that well, or at least they hold comics to a lower standard. These are the same writers who wanted to adapt Civil War even though that comic was known among fans for being poorly-written and nearly derailing Iron Man until, ironically, the MCU came along to save him. I think they just like cool ideas and moments from the comics and don't care so much about what comes after. But to (again) be fair to them, their Civil War didn't do to the characters what the original comic version did.
    Last edited by gurkle; 05-12-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Well, making Thanos the Big Bad was also Joss Whedon's idea. I'm sure Feige and the others have favorite stories from earlier, of course.

But overall, yeah, I think they really can't recognize hack writing all that well, or at least they hold comics to a lower standard. These are the same writers who wanted to adapt Civil War even though that comic was known among fans for being poorly-written and nearly derailing Iron Man until, ironically, the MCU came along to save him. I think they just like cool ideas and moments from the comics and don't care so much about what comes after. But to (again) be fair to them, their Civil War didn't do to the characters what the original comic version did.
    Again, Civil War didn't straight out threw Iron Man into comic limbo, he still gets steady appearances.
    Civil War to Tony is a bomb that they can tone down to just pretty fireworks.
    House of M to Wanda is a nuke that even its toned down version would still be nearly deadly nuclear waste.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Again, Civil War didn't straight out threw Iron Man into comic limbo, he still gets steady appearances.
    Civil War to Tony is a bomb that they can tone down to just pretty fireworks.
    House of M to Wanda is a nuke that even its toned down version would still be nearly deadly nuclear waste.
    Yep, pretty much this. Wanda is a side character basically. She's not gonna get the same treatment. I'd rather they do other stories with her. For them to act like she's been in comics for 55 years, not 15. That'd be nice for once. If they can't find something from the other 40 years for her, then that's a sad disposal of the character.

Extraordinary Member

This is why I'm kind of glad they retconned her parentage again in the comics, stupid and petty as it was. It is sort of a buffer against all the fans saying that Wanda should be Magneto's daughter in the MCU too. Now it's not only that they would never have the time to do that, they can always point to the comics and say she's not even Magneto's daughter in the comics any more (until they change it again). One more obstacle to ever doing a comics-accurate, i.e. bad, House of M.

Is it too much to want something for the Avengers that includes her that's like Korvac Saga or something of the like? She's been in events where she wasn't trashed.

Is it too much to want something for the Avengers that includes her that's like Korvac Saga or something of the like? She's been in events where she wasn't trashed.
    Why not something like No Surrender or the Morgana Quest (yes, she gets captured but then kicks butt)

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Why not something like No Surrender or the Morgana Quest (yes, she gets captured but then kicks butt)
    Yeah I don't equate Morgana Quest in with that because she actually had narrative. But those are two other examples for sure. They have options. Especially in team related things.