Page 102 of 234 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 3507
    Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

My first exposure to the character that had any meaning to me was her appearance in X-Men Legends II. I remember thinking her powers and costumes were cool but I didn’t really understand what she could do, so naturally I turned to Wikipedia. When I looked for comic appearances of hers, I first went with her limited series with Vision. After that I read some of her appearances in Busiek’s Avengers and her time with Cap’s Quartet.

Extraordinary Member

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1138823192263516160

Hey guys, here is another shot for Wanda, hopefully.
    Vision is a guarantee obviously.

Edit: It might just be an Iron Man mini event or something, nothing Avengery, so I got excited for nothing again.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 06-12-2019 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I don't think it's that, since they don't have Crystal with any affiliation and other characters with weird primary team associations. I think the website is just incorrect.
    The recent trailer shows her teleporting in with the X-Men....

I came a fan of Wanda after reading her in a reprint of Rogue's first appearance. I found her very interesting, so I did some research on her and it intrique me more, then it was the Busiek/Perez run.

This article is about the all-important Avengers #16, a turning point in Wanda's life:
    https://www.cbr.com/avengers-roster-...h-quicksilver/

Brian Cronin: I've always wondered this, "How are Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch paying for this Swiss chalet?"

Eileen Gonzalez: Good question. Professor X? Magneto pretending to be some kind of rich superhero-loving benefactor?

Brian Cronin: Murder for hire?

Brian Cronin: "You'll have to stop doing murder for hire, though, if you want to join the Avengers."

Eileen Gonzalez: I wonder: if Wanda and Pietro found out about the Avengers' membership drive all the way in Europe, how many crackpots with powers do you think showed up at the Avengers' door demanding a tryout?

Brian Cronin: And how many of them were secretly bad guys planning to infiltrate the team?

Brian Cronin: I must say, this was obviously not planned at all.

Brian Cronin: But the way that Kirby and Lee managed to have Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch leave the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Brian Cronin: Really did set them up perfectly for a redemption arc.

Eileen Gonzalez: And they didn't go the obvious route, either. You'd think that if the Maximoffs were going to get a redemption arc, it'd be with the X-Men, but nope! They're Avengers now.

Brian Cronin: I love that we continue the tradition (begun last issue) of superheroes just writing letters to apply for gigs.

Brian Cronin: Isn't it odd that the Scarlet Witch never had to demonstrate her powers in this issue?

Brian Cronin: Shouldn't that have been, like, a no-brainer to show the readers what her powers are?

Brian Cronin: Unless Kirby and Lee weren't even sure themselves

Eileen Gonzalez: Yeah, I kept waiting for that to happen, but they spent all their time showing off Quicksilver's far less interesting powers.

Eileen Gonzalez: I mean it's cool he can run fast, but a hex power is way cooler to look at.

Eileen Gonzalez: Quicksilver just promises that her power is super interesting, really, but we never see it.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1138823192263516160

Hey guys, here is another shot for Wanda, hopefully.
    Vision is a guarantee obviously.

Edit: It might just be an Iron Man mini event or something, nothing Avengery, so I got excited for nothing again.
    Looks like an iron Man story since Jan and Jocasta are trapped in tubes in the background and both are players in Slott's Iron Man run
    Last edited by leokearon; 06-12-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    This article is about the all-important Avengers #16, a turning point in Wanda's life:

Brian Cronin: I've always wondered this, "How are Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch paying for this Swiss chalet?"

Eileen Gonzalez: Good question. Professor X? Magneto pretending to be some kind of rich superhero-loving benefactor?

Brian Cronin: Murder for hire?

Brian Cronin: "You'll have to stop doing murder for hire, though, if you want to join the Avengers."

Eileen Gonzalez: I wonder: if Wanda and Pietro found out about the Avengers' membership drive all the way in Europe, how many crackpots with powers do you think showed up at the Avengers' door demanding a tryout?

Brian Cronin: And how many of them were secretly bad guys planning to infiltrate the team?

Brian Cronin: I must say, this was obviously not planned at all.

Brian Cronin: But the way that Kirby and Lee managed to have Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch leave the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Brian Cronin: Really did set them up perfectly for a redemption arc.

Eileen Gonzalez: And they didn't go the obvious route, either. You'd think that if the Maximoffs were going to get a redemption arc, it'd be with the X-Men, but nope! They're Avengers now.

Brian Cronin: I love that we continue the tradition (begun last issue) of superheroes just writing letters to apply for gigs.

Brian Cronin: Isn't it odd that the Scarlet Witch never had to demonstrate her powers in this issue?

Brian Cronin: Shouldn't that have been, like, a no-brainer to show the readers what her powers are?

Brian Cronin: Unless Kirby and Lee weren't even sure themselves

Eileen Gonzalez: Yeah, I kept waiting for that to happen, but they spent all their time showing off Quicksilver's far less interesting powers.

Eileen Gonzalez: I mean it's cool he can run fast, but a hex power is way cooler to look at.

Eileen Gonzalez: Quicksilver just promises that her power is super interesting, really, but we never see it.
    Speaking of Wanda affording things, how did she afford a penthouse and cleaner in her own series, when most of the time, being an adventure seems to barely pay the bills.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post

The only thing I liked about the "Avengers Origins: Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver" comic is that it actually did try to explain this. They're in the chalet at one point saying "He won't suspect we're here, but soon enough..." so I guess the idea is that it's Magneto's place and they're squatting there.

Unfortunately nothing else in the comic fits the original continuity (in this version they defy Magneto and escape from him, then don't apply for the Avengers until they arrive in America), so it can't really be considered a canonical explanation.

Not that it's supposed to make sense anyway - I mean, we all know Kirby just knocked out some pages and Lee scripted them and they never thought we'd be talking about this comic 50+ years later.

Wanda's high standard of living can be explained by the fact that the Avengers are salaried and she probably learned to manage her money carefully when she was poor. But like a lot of mutants, most of whom don't have jobs, I would like to see what she would do for a living. Zatanna has the stage magician thing going but it wouldn't work for Wanda because everyone knows she has powers.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Speaking of Wanda affording things, how did she afford a penthouse and cleaner in her own series, when most of the time, being an adventure seems to barely pay the bills.
    There was something years ago that listed the pay rates, and regular members were given modest salaries. Thor was the richest Avenger, followed up by BP, Tony Stark, etc. So they did get paid for being an Avenger. I wonder who paid though. It had to be Tony. He usually paid for everything.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

There was something years ago that listed the pay rates, and regular members were given modest salaries. Thor was the richest Avenger, followed up by BP, Tony Stark, etc. So they did get paid for being an Avenger. I wonder who paid though. It had to be Tony. He usually paid for everything.
    They used to be paid $1000 a week if you were active and $100 a week for reserves. It was paid by the Maria Stark Foundation if I remember correctly.

Still Wanda's was never in a great place financially. In Scarlet Witch and Vision, the two had used up most of their savings and in Busiek's run she had a beat up car while the likes of Justice had a Hummer. So I surprised she could afford a New York penthouse with cleaner, then again she seemed to have no problems going on Shopping sprees

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    They used to be paid $1000 a week if you were active and $100 a week for reserves. It was paid by the Maria Stark Foundation if I remember correctly.

Still Wanda's was never in a great place financially. In Scarlet Witch and Vision, the two had used up most of their savings and in Busiek's run she had a beat up car while the likes of Justice had a Hummer. So I surprised she could afford a New York penthouse with cleaner, then again she seemed to have no problems going on Shopping sprees
    Tony, I'm telling you, it's Tony.

Also, they are showing off more of MUA 3 and it does look like it's the website that is just messed up with team affiliations. Plus the bonus isn't that great. 2% regularly. 4% on a full team.

Wanda's affiliations in the game are Avengers and Midnight Sons. Midnight Sons is still weird, I think they are using it as a magic category. Or supernatural category. But I'd like for her to be on a team with Blade, Ghosty, etc. That'd be cool.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 06-12-2019 at 12:40 PM.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

Tony, I'm telling you, it's Tony.

Also, they are showing off more of MUA 3 and it does look like it's the website that is just messed up with team affiliations. Plus the bonus isn't that great. 2% regularly. 4% on a full team.

Wanda's affiliations in the game are Avengers and Midnight Sons. Midnight Sons is still weird, I think they are using it as a magic category. Or supernatural category. But I'd like for her to be on a team with Blade, Ghosty, etc. That'd be cool.
    Midnight Sons is still weird indeed, probably she and Elsa switched job in this universe at some point.

I would like her to be in a supernatural team as well, there will be higher chance for her to get some closure on certain part of her lore. (Did Wanda ever realize she was born on the same place as Jessica Drew and they encountered the same group of magic baddies like Chthon, Modred, Morgan?)
    She should get a group trip to Wundgaore with other magic users or something.
    Or some other team like Darkhold Redeemers with Wanda, Modred, Victoria Montesi, the unlucky fellas bearing Chthon's curse. (Also Wanda and Vickie shoul have more interactions than just pulling each other's hair.)
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 06-12-2019 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    All right, to break the trend of complaining about Wanda not appearing enough (which I do as much as anyone) I'll try a question:

What first made you a fan of the Scarlet Witch? It can be a comic run, a single comic, an appearance in other media, or even a single out of context panel.

For me it was the 1998 Busiek/Pérez relaunch and specifically the first story. I didn't know much about the Avengers at the time but I thought it was really interesting that the most panel time of a new launch went not to one of the stars but to the Scarlet Witch, and the villain was out to use her and her alone.* The fact that she appeared to have all these relationships with other Avengers - her brother, her sister-in-law, the Vision and whoever Wonder Man was - also made her seem like the Avenger, and I still feel that way.

Plus of course Pérez loves drawing her so much that he almost dares you not to fall in love with her.

(*Reassembling all the Avengers just so one group of them would bring Wanda to Cornwall doesn't seem like a very efficient plan, and even the story admits that they could have just kidnapped her... but, you know, comics.)
    Wolverine and the X-Men plus Busiek/Perez Avengers .

Extraordinary Member

Well, I have to say I really dislike how Avengers now is just like the general superhero community and everyone is an Avenger.
    People have been demanding X-Men, FF and other characters like mad from an Avengers game before mentioning actual long-term Avengers.
    I got called Bullshitting for saying they should give classic Avengers priority because someone loves Ghost Rider and thinks he should make to it first or something.
    Honestly I am one step away from calling them for having a mentality of a squatter.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Well, I have to say I really dislike how Avengers now is just like the general superhero community and everyone is an Avenger.
    People have been demanding X-Men, FF and other characters like mad from an Avengers game before mentioning actual long-term Avengers.
    I got called Bullshitting for saying they should give classic Avengers priority because someone loves Ghost Rider and thinks he should make to it first or something.
    Honestly I am one step away from calling them for having a mentality of a squatter.
    Are you talking about MUA3 or the Squenix Avengers game? Because MUA isn't an exclusively Avengers series. For the Squenix one, though, yeah, established Avengers should be the priority.

Beyond that, though, I don't mind the Avengers ranks being fairly open. The Avengers have always had members from all over the Marvel Universe. The only real modern difference is the increased rate at which they've started to be added. The problem is more that they cycle the characters out too quickly rather than stick with them