Page 131 of 234 FirstFirst ... 3181121127128129130131132133134135141181231 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,965 of 3507

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I hope they steer clear of anything Romani, since Wanda is white in this universe. There's so many ways they can mess that up, and this version should not be wearing any of it.
    I don't think she should ''dress romani'', but I don't think we know enough about MCU Wanda's background to assume she is 100% white. Sokovia was a fictional place, after all, and we don't know its exact demographic. Just because they never mentioned any specific romani roots, it doesn't mean they can't reveal that later on, because it was never stated to not exist either. I think WandaVision is the perfect opportunity to create a more specific ethnic background for Wanda. I could see her being mixed race, having white/romani parents, which could explain her lighter skin. Or they could say she was a white baby adopted and raised by a romani couple if they wanna avoid any possible backlash from having a white actress portray a romani person. But I still think it's important to reference Wanda's romani roots in some way. Not go overboard with it and give her some George Perez inspired costume, but have that be a part of her background in some way to honor the comics. I know some people have their issues with Elizabeth Olsen playing this role, but since a recasting is pretty much impossible at this point, they should still try to make the best of it. Completely erasing her romani roots would be a mistake, IMO.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I don't think she should ''dress romani'', but I don't think we know enough about MCU Wanda's background to assume she is 100% white. Sokovia was a fictional place, after all, and we don't know its exact demographic. Just because they never mentioned any specific romani roots, it doesn't mean they can't reveal that later on, because it was never stated to not exist either. I think WandaVision is the perfect opportunity to create a more specific ethnic background for Wanda. I could see her being mixed race, having white/romani parents, which could explain her lighter skin. Or they could say she was a white baby adopted and raised by a romani couple if they wanna avoid any possible backlash from having a white actress portray a romani person. But I still think it's important to reference Wanda's romani roots in some way. Not go overboard with it and give her some George Perez inspired costume, but have that be a part of her background in some way to honor the comics. I know some people have their issues with Elizabeth Olsen playing this role, but since a recasting is pretty much impossible at this point, they should still try to make the best of it. Completely erasing her romani roots would be a mistake, IMO.
    Well, I think it's best to just stick with the vague Eastern European take like her 1964-1974 era.
    I mean it's a missed opportunity and an unfortunate compromise but I don't think Marvel Studios should give her a higher chance of backlash.
    If anything MCU Wanda should just serve her purpose by implanting Wanda's other iconic identities like Avengers, Chaos Magic wielder, etc into the mind of general audience, and most of all increase her overall popularity without unneeded controversy.

Once she gets out of that tough situation and become a more profitable asset, then future adaptions can fix that problem later.
    X-Men: Evolution and WATXM also had rather inaccurate version of Wanda, but I would still probably chose them over nothing when she was in limbo at that time period.(I am kinda curious about certain people's attitude about Video Game/Animation depiction of Wanda, since those media can be so much more ethnically vague than live-action. Wanda can be very light-skinned without being called whitewashing.)
    MCU is one hell of a ride for characters involved, might make the most of it.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 08-06-2019 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Well, I think it's best to just stick with the vague Eastern European take like her 1964-1974 era.
    I mean it's a missed opportunity and an unfortunate compromise but I don't think Marvel Studios should give her a higher chance of backlash.
    If anything MCU Wanda should just serve her purpose by implanting Wanda's other iconic identities like Avengers, Chaos Magic wielder, etc into the mind of general audience, and most of all increase her overall popularity without unneeded controversy.

Once she gets out of that tough situation and become a more profitable asset, then future adaptions can fix that problem later.
    X-Men: Evolution and WATXM also had rather inaccurate version of Wanda, but I would still probably chose them over nothing when she was in limbo at that time period.(I am kinda curious about certain people's attitude about Video Game/Animation depiction of Wanda, since those media can be so much more ethnically vague than live-action. Wanda can be very light-skinned without being called whitewashing.)
    MCU is one hell of a ride for characters involved, might make the most of it.
    The vague Eastern/Centeral European take is the best route, especially as we know next to nothing about Sokovia

The actress is white. She can't be Romani. You can't be a group you are not. I am of descent and would still not do it. Why? Because I didn't grow up with Romanipe or Romanipen. And there are 1000 ways that can become wrong. Because even well meaning, there is no one involved that knows what they are doing. And it'd come out bad. Like most western media depictions of Romani. Romani keep screaming this from the rooftops. Please listen. If you aren't Romani, stay the hell away from it. There doesn't need to be anymore white people depicting Romani in very bad ways.

No she cannot pretend to be Romani later. I'm fine with her being white in this universe. Because the truth is, Wanda (like Esmeralda) is a mixed bag of representation. Sure them being heroes is positive, but a lot about them is stereotypical.

Also, despite fiction, it's not very common for white babies to be able to be adopted by Romani. Because of severe discrimination against Romani in most places. Also, her being adopted would not make her Romani. People for some reason think Romani steal babies and convert them. It's not a hippie cult.

If a non-Romani person becomes part of a Romani family, they are not magically Romani. They are expected to take up some traditions. But don't magically change race or ethnicity.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 08-06-2019 at 09:48 AM.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

I agree to those points, there is just really high risks of so many things going wrong. And I am well aware about people being sensitive about their own culture being mishandled.(Me included.)
    It kinda brings up another question.
    A major part of Comic Wanda's Romani identity came from Django and Marya than Magda or Natalya right?
    "Adopted by Romani" is one element present in Maximoff twins, though of course in all those variations, they are either half or full romani themselves.(I am just saying if Django and Marya are there as their "default foster parents" from the very start, there could be a version of Whizzer/Miss America's children raised by them, just saying.)

I agree to those points, there is just really high risks of so many things going wrong. And I am well aware about people being sensitive about their own culture being mishandled.(Me included.)
    A major part of Comic Wanda's Romani identity came from Django and Marya than Magda or Natalya right?
    "Adopted by Romani" is one element present in Maximoff twins, though of course in all those variations, they are either half or full romani themselves.(I am just saying if Django and Marya are there as their "default foster parents" from the very start, there could be a version of Whizzer/Miss America's children raised by them, just saying.)
    Yeah, a lot of Wanda's Romani identity came from the Maximoffs, before that she was just Eastern European

But... Olsen... is white...

There could be. There's been alt versions of Wanda. And I'd rather that than them push her to be something in the MCU she's not. Handled by people who have no idea what they are doing. Most of all I hope eventually Romani creators can get involved with things and right quite a few wrongs. But until then, even in comics, I feel like it's best if writers keep things vague. Unless they can get heavy Romani consult and stick to that. Not fall on fantasy tropes, cliches and all that.

BANNED

I am just looking forward to Quicksilver’s return and the relevation in MCU they are Mutants and the children of Magneto and the half sibling of Polaris. Now that Disney has the rights those days are coming.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    I am just looking forward to Quicksilver’s return and the relevation in MCU they are Mutants and the children of Magneto and the half sibling of Polaris. Now that Disney has the rights those days are coming.
    The other reason given for their retcon was Marvel deemed Mags too old to be their dad. And he has to stay with his WWII origin, while they do not. So I'm not really expecting this to happen. I'm not even expecting Quicksilver to come back. Because while they had movie Wanda mourn for Vision, she doesn't mention Pietro. I'm starting to wonder if Marvel has a problem with speedsters. Because they like to act like Speed doesn't exist either.

Extraordinary Member

Well, Brevoort's assistant edited that Quicksilver mini after "No Surrender" (which, frankly, didn't have enough plot for more than a single issue). He didn't make it into "No Road Home" and that's the only place we've seen either Maximoff in the last year or so.

The Markus/McFeely/Russo team really do not seem to like mentioning any character that is not directly relevant to the plot. When Wanda never mentioned Pietro again after his death, I thought maybe it was something specific to the rights weirdness, but then in Avengers: Endgame not a single person mentioned the existence of Vision, at least directly.

With a different creative team and more time (and no more shared rights) I wouldn't be surprised if the limited series at least mentions she had a brother. Beyond that I won't predict.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Well, Brevoort's assistant edited that Quicksilver mini after "No Surrender" (which, frankly, didn't have enough plot for more than a single issue). He didn't make it into "No Road Home" and that's the only place we've seen either Maximoff in the last year or so.

The Markus/McFeely/Russo team really do not seem to like mentioning any character that is not directly relevant to the plot. When Wanda never mentioned Pietro again after his death, I thought maybe it was something specific to the rights weirdness, but then in Avengers: Endgame not a single person mentioned the existence of Vision, at least directly.

With a different creative team and more time (and no more shared rights) I wouldn't be surprised if the limited series at least mentions she had a brother. Beyond that I won't predict.
    They never finished the Quicksilver mini. I waited for that last issue and it never happened.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    The actress is white. She can't be Romani. You can't be a group you are not. I am of descent and would still not do it. Why? Because I didn't grow up with Romanipe or Romanipen. And there are 1000 ways that can become wrong. Because even well meaning, there is no one involved that knows what they are doing. And it'd come out bad. Like most western media depictions of Romani. Romani keep screaming this from the rooftops. Please listen. If you aren't Romani, stay the hell away from it. There doesn't need to be anymore white people depicting Romani in very bad ways.

No she cannot pretend to be Romani later. I'm fine with her being white in this universe. Because the truth is, Wanda (like Esmeralda) is a mixed bag of representation. Sure them being heroes is positive, but a lot about them is stereotypical.

Also, despite fiction, it's not very common for white babies to be able to be adopted by Romani. Because of severe discrimination against Romani in most places. Also, her being adopted would not make her Romani. People for some reason think Romani steal babies and convert them. It's not a hippie cult.

If a non-Romani person becomes part of a Romani family, they are not magically Romani. They are expected to take up some traditions. But don't magically change race or ethnicity.
    To the bolded: we don't actually know that. We don't know everyone who's involved in the show. We don't know that they haven't or couldn't at least reach out to romani consultants for a more accurate and genuine representation of romani people and their culture. We don't know that they won't cast romani actors to play Django and Marya if they decide to ever use them. I know Marvel has a bad history when it comes to romani representation in the comics, but it's 2019 and they definitely have the means to do proper research and not repeat mistakes from the past this time around. Looking at what they did with Black Panther and what they seem to be doing with Shang-Chi, I don't think it's too much to ask for a similar level of care.

I'll concede that: Olsen is white, and that in and of itself is a dealbreaker for a lot of people. I completely understand that, but like I said, there are ways for you to tell the story of a white person around romani culture. Yeah, it's not common for white babies to be adopted by romani couples, but it doesn't mean it can't have ever happened, specially when we're talking about a fictional story. Plus, the discrimination aspect of a romani couple adopting white children COULD actually make for an interesting take on Wanda's origin story from the comics and the discrimination she had to face for being a mutant. In the MCU, they could make a point about her adoptive family being the source of the discrimination instead.

And just to be clear, I was not suggesting that she would magically turn into a biological romani person just because she was adopted by one. My point was more about how you could weave some cultural romani elements into her backstory in spite of the character being white. If done right, I personally think that is better than just erasing everything romani about the character ever. Like it or not, the MCU is the biggest thing Wanda has going on for her these days, and that has a major influence in the way she's portrayed in other medias and the way she's seen around the world. If the MCU decides to officially erase any trace of romani history from the character, I fear that's gonna do more harm than good for her in the long run.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 08-06-2019 at 04:28 PM.

To the bolded: we don't actually know that. We don't know everyone who's involved in the show. We don't know that they haven't or couldn't at least reach out to romani consultants for a more accurate and genuine representation of romani people and their culture. We don't know that they won't cast romani actors to play Django and Marya if they decide to ever use them. I know Marvel has a bad history when it comes to romani representation in the comics, but it's 2019 and they definitely have the means to do proper research and not repeat mistakes from the past this time around. Looking at what they did with Black Panther and what they seem to be doing with Shang-Chi, I don't think it's too much to ask for a similar level of care.

I'll concede that: Olsen is white, and that in and on itself is a dealbreaker for a lot of people. I completely understand that, but like I said, there are ways for you to tell the story of a white person around romani culture. Yeah, it's not common for white babies to be adopted by romani couples, but it doesn't mean it can't have ever happened, specially when we're talking about a fictional story. Plus, the discrimination aspect of a romani couple adopting white children COULD actually make for an interesting take on Wanda's origin story from the comics and the discrimination she had to face for being a mutant. In the MCU, they could make a point about her adoptive family being the source of the discrimination instead.

And just to be clear, I was not suggesting that she would magically turn into a biological romani person just because she was adopted by one. My point was more about how you could weave some cultural romani elements into her backstory in spite of the character being white. If done right, I personally think that is better than just erasing everything romani about the character ever. Like it or not, the MCU is the biggest thing Wanda has going on for her these days, and that has a major influence in the way she's portrayed in other medias and the way she's seen around the world. If the MCU decides to officially erase any trace of romani history from the character, I fear that's gonna do more harm than good for her in the long run.
    I already addressed why that wouldn't be possible and how that would further upset the Romani community. Also, in 2019, rep for Romani hasn't gotten better. And it'd be worse with your suggestion. You cannot (and I can't emphasis this enough) have Romani elements as a white girl. It doesn't happen. Only in hippie and goth witch girl fantasies.

Also, let me reiterize that Romani adoption of white children rarely if ever happens, and is a white fantasy trope. It's a stereotype.

Also want to add that representations that only add more stuff for the Romani community to have to debunk is not helpful. It's about good representation, not more representation.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 08-06-2019 at 03:13 PM.