Page 132 of 234 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142182232 ... LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 3507
    Extraordinary Member

I personally (repeat, personally) don't consider the casting of MCU Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver as whitewashing because I don't think they were ethnicity-specific characters, not with their multiple parents and origin stories (especially prior to the Axis retcon, which caused the Maximoffs to be more important in their backstories than before because of the MCU versions). But if the MCU tried to graft those elements on to their version of the characters, then it would become whitewashing, or something like it.

It would be like if the MCU decided to give their version of the Ancient One (which clearly does count as casting a white person in a part that was originally Asian) some Asian elements in their backstory to make up for the casting. It wouldn't please anyone, those who liked the casting or those who didn't.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the casting of MCU Doctor Doom, though, since that part of his background really has been there almost since the beginning, but would take incredibly careful handling to avoid all the crude stereotyping.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I personally (repeat, personally) don't consider the casting of MCU Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver as whitewashing because I don't think they were ethnicity-specific characters, not with their multiple parents and origin stories (especially prior to the Axis retcon, which caused the Maximoffs to be more important in their backstories than before because of the MCU versions). But if the MCU tried to graft those elements on to their version of the characters, then it would become whitewashing, or something like it.

It would be like if the MCU decided to give their version of the Ancient One (which clearly does count as casting a white person in a part that was originally Asian) some Asian elements in their backstory to make up for the casting. It wouldn't please anyone, those who liked the casting or those who didn't.
    They were Romani for a while so it is whitewashing, but they can't really undo that now. And the comics were honestly never great representation. It's up to Romani individually as to if they found enough in those characters to consider them still positive. For Wanda, I was just amazed that they even made a Romani character a hero, a leader and a co-leader. I thought that was cool. But it didn't erase a lot of the problems I had and still have with some things in comics. I guess I just compartmentalize some stuff, and hope it improves.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

To change the subject a little, one thing I wonder about the series is whether they might pull the idea of Wanda's mother being a witch from her comic series (they wouldn't use Natalya of course, it would just be her mother who died before the events of Age of Ultron).

This is pure speculation, but they do seem to be pulling from a lot of comic stuff made around that time, and they've made it pretty obvious that something is going to happen to make her change from being (in all but name) a mutant to someone who belongs in Doctor Strange's world.

Less speculatively, I am waiting to see if she and Vision have a future together in the MCU or if the series will be the end of their story together. It could go either way.

Well, Brevoort's assistant edited that Quicksilver mini after "No Surrender" (which, frankly, didn't have enough plot for more than a single issue). He didn't make it into "No Road Home" and that's the only place we've seen either Maximoff in the last year or so.

The Markus/McFeely/Russo team really do not seem to like mentioning any character that is not directly relevant to the plot. When Wanda never mentioned Pietro again after his death, I thought maybe it was something specific to the rights weirdness, but then in Avengers: Endgame not a single person mentioned the existence of Vision, at least directly.

With a different creative team and more time (and no more shared rights) I wouldn't be surprised if the limited series at least mentions she had a brother. Beyond that I won't predict.
    I was kind of surprised the only time they touched on Vision was Wanda obliquely mentioning him while talking to Clint at the end.
    To change the subject a little, one thing I wonder about the series is whether they might pull the idea of Wanda's mother being a witch from her comic series (they wouldn't use Natalya of course, it would just be her mother who died before the events of Age of Ultron).

This is pure speculation, but they do seem to be pulling from a lot of comic stuff made around that time, and they've made it pretty obvious that something is going to happen to make her change from being (in all but name) a mutant to someone who belongs in Doctor Strange's world.

Less speculatively, I am waiting to see if she and Vision have a future together in the MCU or if the series will be the end of their story together. It could go either way.
    I think it's said the Scarlet Witch codename will finally come up so that might be how they organically work it in.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think so.
    Agatha and Chthon would probably fill the nurture and gift roles for Wanda, Natalya-like character would be kinda redundant. Marvel Studios never really seems be doing the same as Marvel Comics in these matters. (Carol, for example, MC hurried to give her a Kree mom while MS kept her as a full human.)

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    They never finished the Quicksilver mini. I waited for that last issue and it never happened.
    Sure they did. The trade is even out at this point and I have a copy.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Sure they did. The trade is even out at this point and I have a copy.
    It was supposed to originally have a sixth issue.

Extraordinary Member

A video about how MCU would probably build up its mystical universe, etc.
    Some juicy lore speculations.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post

A video about how MCU would probably build up its mystical universe, etc.
    Some juicy lore speculations.
    As long as any Chthon possession forwards her story and creates a background for her powers, I'm down with it. I'd only be against her becoming a plot device and being thrown away. If she gets freed and they all go after the Darkhold, and defeat a ton of villains, that'd be great. If they do a Midnight Sons and Wanda can somehow end up in that, then that gives her a decent future. That's all I want, is a bright future for the character filled with stories that she's an active participant in.

It could happen, Wanda's mum could have been a witch but Wanda and Pietro never knew. Sort of like Doom and his mother

As long as any Chthon possession forwards her story and creates a background for her powers, I'm down with it. I'd only be against her becoming a plot device and being thrown away. If she gets freed and they all go after the Darkhold, and defeat a ton of villains, that'd be great. If they do a Midnight Sons and Wanda can somehow end up in that, then that gives her a decent future. That's all I want, is a bright future for the character filled with stories that she's an active participant in.
    Chthon could work as a big bad, being all powerful Chaos Elder God, instead of the Big Bad Wannabe he is in the comics

Extraordinary Member

I think MCU should took this chance to create a more direct conflict between Wanda and Chthon.
    Maybe just change her function to a beacon/gateway that will guide/lead Chthon to Earth instead of a vessel for him to possess, this way they can remain separated beings and chance for them to fight each other.
    You can even say Chthon wants his own "Agamotto" like Oshtur, and Wanda is meant to function like a alter-Sorcerer Sumpreme that should serve as his enforcer but it ultimately didn't go like he wanted.

I think the problem of the possession part is taking away her chance to deal with Chthon herself and had to rely on others to save her.
    Personally I hope they establish some rules like Elder Gods can only really be killed by their own kin(which actually fit the Elder Gods lore if you think about it, after all killing their own is kind of their thing.), thus Wanda is as much an threat to Chthon as she is an asset.
    Also they should talk more about the nature of power itself, it's both a curse and and a bless.
    I hope Wanda herself make some points about this supposedly "dark power" is also the only thing she has to fight back against Chthon or this harsh cruel world.(That is, if anyone lecture her about her power being evil by nature or something.)
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 08-07-2019 at 08:03 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Chthon could work as a big bad, being all powerful Chaos Elder God, instead of the Big Bad Wannabe he is in the comics
    When a villain is jobbing so hard that you feel sorry for him.

When a villain is jobbing so hard that you feel sorry for him.
    Even villains/elder gods need some respect

I think MCU should took this chance to create a more direct conflict between Wanda and Chthon.
    Maybe just change her function to a beacon/gateway that will guide/lead Chthon to Earth instead of a vessel for him to possess, this way they can remain separated beings and chance for them to fight each other.
    You can even say Chthon wants his own "Agamotto" like Oshtur, and Wanda is meant to function like a alter-Sorcerer Sumpreme that should serve as his enforcer but it ultimately didn't go like he wanted.

I think the problem of the possession part is taking away her chance to deal with Chthon herself and had to rely on others to save her.
    Personally I hope they establish some rules like Elder Gods can only really be killed by their own kin(which actually fit the Elder Gods lore if you think about it, after all killing their own is kind of their thing.), thus Wanda is as much an threat to Chthon as she is an asset.
    Also they should talk more about the nature of power itself, it's both a curse and and a bless.
    I hope Wanda herself make some points about this supposedly "dark power" is also the only thing she has to fight back against Chthon or this harsh cruel world.(That is, if anyone lecture her about her power being evil by nature or something.)
    I like that idea of her being the one that can take out Chthon.