Page 164 of 234 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174214 ... LastLast
Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 3507

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    They weren't really primarily pushed all that much in the 00s. They just are having more mutant focused stories because a.) the movie rights have been gotten back. and b.) they have a character focused, good storyline going on by a good writer. It's a great time fro them. But you have to stretch very far to think that Wanda is in any of that.
    Yeah, the only time the family relationship has been pushed/promoted was in the cartoons of the 00's. Even the amazing 90's cartoon just touched on it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    This is why I'm inclined to believe Rich Johnston's gossip that Wanda and Pietro were supposed to be turned back into Magneto's kids but the story is on hold ("I understand that current management are planning to emphasise Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Magneto’s family ties in 2020 – but plans may be on hold as a result of the WandaVision TV show on Disney+ so as not to confuse people further"). I feel like when characters disappear for months without explanation it's sometimes because they were being held back for a story that didn't happen.

Rich said "2020" so it may still happen, but who knows, maybe there's another X-office vs. Avengers-office turf war going on. But I think there are writers/editors who would use Wanda if they could.
    That is one of the times I wish the synergy could take effect, like moving her to the mystical side more or something.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Infectious Lass View Post
    I think the "WandaVision" team could focus on the couple and Vision's family for a season or two while Marvel figures out what to do with the Maximoff Family Tree. I think both origins have their pros and cons. Wanda does not need to be connected to Magneto to be a successful property for Marvel, but it is a connection recognized by comic fans and viewers of various cartoons throughout the years.
    Considering that the movie ties into DS2, it's best opportunity to do Wanda's mystical lore first.
    And I don't think those shows will get second seasons.

If Disney curates their content half as well as DC has been with their streaming service, I think there is hope for at least two seasons. Wanda and Vision have advantages from previous exposure that say, Doom Patrol, does not.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Infectious Lass View Post
    If Disney curates their content half as well as DC has been with their streaming service, I think there is hope for at least two seasons. Wanda and Vision have advantages from previous exposure that say, Doom Patrol, does not.
    It's not about cancellation due to poor receiving, it's simply about their plan for MCU and D+ shows.
    Those D+ shows, at least the ones about previous MCU supporting characters clearly looks like connective tissues of MCU than being a thing surviving on its own depending on receiving of audience.
    They don't simply get extended or cancelled like every Marvel Studios project.
    If it dives into content like Vision's side of family or Magnus family, then there would be an end goal for it. Like tie into an Avengers or X-Men, etc.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 09-05-2019 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I agree personally, but we can see that under Cebulski, Marvel is very much making the X-Men line the center of their universe again, like it was in the '90s. Combine that with the fact that Wanda and Pietro were primarily pushed as "Magneto's children" in the '00s and it would make sense if they had a plan to give the fans back their Magnus Family, because they obviously care much more about those fans than classic Avengers fans (who, let's face it, are not as numerous as people who are primarily X-Men fans).

That doesn't mean they will go through with it, especially after the (somewhat surprising) announcement that Wanda would be in another MCU movie, but I can definitely believe they had the plan.
    That relationship was the most boring in the 90s. At least when the retcon was first introduced, there was an interesting tentative trust dynamic. But later on it was just "I hate you, dad!"

As someone who likes Magneto (and good stories), I do like what the relationship could potentially add to his character. It's interesting to think about the complex feelings he'd have towards Wanda especially, who supposedly looked like Magda, the love of his life who he scared away (btw this is why I'd hate to have them re-establish the family connection with Natalya). You could even make a connection with Wanda and his first daughter. But the key word is potential. Even on Mags's side, they never did anything beyond the cliche, even though his character had the most to gain from it. I have zero confidence that it would be any different this time around (IF the rumour proves true).

ETA: I suppose re-establishing family ties doesn't necessarily mean making them genetically related again. I mean, a relationship can still exist if they all thought they were related at one point. I think this would be unlikely path to take though.
    Last edited by Saffron; 09-05-2019 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saffron View Post
    That relationship was the most boring in the 90s. At least when the retcon was first introduced, there was an interesting tentative trust dynamic. But later on it was just "I hate you, dad!"

As someone who likes Magneto (and good stories), I do like what the relationship could potentially add to his character. It's interesting to think about the complex feelings he'd have towards Wanda especially, who supposedly looked like Magda, the love of his life who he scared away (btw this is why I'd hate to have them re-establish the family connection with Natalya). You could even make a connection with Wanda and his first daughter. But the key word is potential. Even on Mags's side, they never did anything beyond the cliche, even though his character had the most to gain from it. I have zero confidence that it would be any different this time around (IF the rumour proves true).

ETA: I suppose re-establishing family ties doesn't necessarily mean making them genetically related again. I mean, a relationship can still exist if they all thought they were related at one point. I think this would be unlikely path to take though.
    Yeah, regardless of genetics, there is a history. Unless they'd retcon it to the point where no one has memories. I've also said that if they ever wanted to, it's possible to make Pietro a mutant and not Wanda. Since he has spent more time on that side of comics.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saffron View Post

1. Well, one thing I am really concerned about this family relationship is the power imbalance and ambiguity.
    Magneto by popularity would most likely to the focus of whatever stories they could potentially have, and likely take the main perspective, I remember how this kind of one-sided angst/emotion drama could humanize one character yet make the others look ungrateful/judgemental etc. The balance of perspective is rather important, and too many times Wanda didn't even interact with Magneto in her right mind.

2.And also the actual, well, "power" dynamic, it really feels like Wanda aren't really allowed to overpower Magneto unless she is mentally deranged(AXIS for example, though technically Mag still fought back pretty well in some flashbacks.) It's as frustrating as Chthon's one-sided possession of Wanda, but at least I can say it's not due to Chthon being popular or anything, if a writer feels like it, Wanda may get a story where she can get some paybacks on him. But with Magneto, I just feel like there is the need for him to stay on top.(He got beaten by Pietro, yes rebellious son. but your traditional tropes won't allow the sweet daughter to beat up the daddy unless they are not okay in head.)

3.Let's say, family sells, maybe a little too well for what it actually is worth. How many Magnus family content is actually just fan arts and fanfics? Even that is enough to blur her actual self, not as a person who seeks her own belonging and social acceptance in Avengers but a princess loved and protected by her brother and father. I honestly cannot imagine what people would think of her if more official Magnus family is put out.

4.My ideal depiction of their relationship would be built on mutual respect, assuming the biological family ties are restored. They should respect where they stand, have a professional and even diplomatic for that matter, like they should understand each other's ideaology and dreams despite not agreeing with them. And they sort it out when on opposite side with force or argument, whatever. The key is for writers and characters to respect their home franchise/allegiance without the "my side/dream is better/more important" BS. Imagine how cringey it was to read Magento's lines in Old Man Hawkeye flashback when he killed Wanda.(I would probably like it better if he just killed Wanda and be sad later or whatever.)
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 09-05-2019 at 08:14 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Yeah, regardless of genetics, there is a history. Unless they'd retcon it to the point where no one has memories. I've also said that if they ever wanted to, it's possible to make Pietro a mutant and not Wanda. Since he has spent more time on that side of comics.
    Well, it's comics, so actual blood ties are more important than history shared, at least that's the case with them.
    Wanda, being a mutant or not, probably would only affect Chthon's reasoning behind choosing her at this point, which is also not that important.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    1. Well, one thing I am really concerned about this family relationship is the power imbalance and ambiguity.
    Magneto by popularity would most likely to the focus of whatever stories they could potentially have, and likely take the main perspective, I remember how this kind of one-sided angst/emotion drama could humanize one character yet make the others look ungrateful/judgemental etc. The balance of perspective is rather important, and too many times Wanda didn't even interact with Magneto in her right mind.

2.And also the actual, well, "power" dynamic, it really feels like Wanda aren't really allowed to overpower Magneto unless she is mentally deranged(AXIS for example, though technically Mag still fought back pretty well in some flashbacks.) It's as frustrating as Chthon's one-sided possession of Wanda, but at least I can say it's not due to Chthon being popular or anything, if a writer feels like it, Wanda may get a story where she can get some paybacks on him. But with Magneto, I just feel like there is the need for him to stay on top.(He got beaten by Pietro, yes rebellious son. but your traditional tropes won't allow the sweet daughter to beat up the daddy unless they are not okay in head.)

3.Let's say, family sells, maybe a little too well for what it actually is worth. How many Magnus family content is actually just fan arts and fanfics? Even that is enough to blur her actual self, not as a person who seeks her own belonging and social acceptance in Avengers but a princess loved and protected by her brother and father. I honestly cannot imagine what people would think of her if more official Magnus family is put out.

4.My ideal depiction of their relationship would be built on mutual respect, assuming the biological family ties are restored. They should respect where they stand, have a professional and even diplomatic for that matter, like they should understand each other's ideaology and dreams despite not agreeing with them. And they sort it out when on opposite side with force or argument, whatever. The key is for writers and characters to respect their home franchise/allegiance without the "my side/dream is better/more important" BS. Imagine how cringey it was to read Magento's lines in Old Man Hawkeye flashback when he killed Wanda.(I would probably like it better if he just killed Wanda and be sad later or whatever.)
    Yeah we've already seen people post that Wanda was ungrateful or wrong for not wanting to reconcile with Mags. Even though he's abusive and manipulative. People have this view of the family that just isn't present in comics.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

No disagreement here. I think the lack of diversity in writers also added to the problem. Being all dudes, they would naturally find it easier to put themselves in the shoes of either the son or the father. It's why daddy issues is such a cliche in superhero comics.

I actually don't mind a bit of drama. For, me they don't need to be civil or respectful. I just want more depth and nuance, and for ALL characters in the relationship to get something out of it.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves. It might just stay a rumour... for now.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Also if they keep Natalya Maximoff as their mum, they will have another reason to hate Magento, since he would have killed her.
    I'd hope they'd keep all the Natalya Maximoff stuff if they do restore the Mags connection. Seems like a waste for Wanda otherwise.

Wanda benefits a lot from Natalya being her mother, and Pietro would benefit from having Magneto as his father. Neither parent really does anything for the other, but... legacies...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I'd hope they'd keep all the Natalya Maximoff stuff if they do restore the Mags connection. Seems like a waste for Wanda otherwise.

Wanda benefits a lot from Natalya being her mother, and Pietro would benefit from having Magneto as his father. Neither parent really does anything for the other, but... legacies...
    Still have to see anything actually come out of it other than her solo though.
    Personally I just want some actual development on her Chthon lore or her being back to Avengers.

Still have to see anything actually come out of it other than her solo though.
    Personally I just want some actual development on her Chthon lore or her being back to Avengers.
    I suppose I should say there's a lot of potential there. The idea of the "Scarlet Witch" being a legacy rather than just a name Wanda uses because she likes to dress in red.
    Last edited by H-E-D; 09-05-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I suppose I should say there's a lot of potential there. The idea of the "Scarlet Witch" being a legacy rather than just a name Wanda uses because she likes to dress in red.
    The "Scarlet" in Scarlet Witch fits with Chaos Magic perfectly IMHO. I like her title having actual meaning.

I personally like the idea of her coming from a lost lineage of sorcerers who defied Agamotto's cover-up/purge of Chaos Magic.
    Last edited by Relugus; 09-05-2019 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Added bits