Page 198 of 234 FirstFirst ... 98148188194195196197198199200201202208 ... LastLast
Results 2,956 to 2,970 of 3507

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Same with her relationships to other characters. I wonder if they see her as a character anymore or just a device.
    Yeah, remember whem she and Carol were best friends? Marvel doesn't
    Last edited by leokearon; 11-02-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Same with her relationships to other characters. I wonder if they see her as a character anymore or just a device.
    I think the real problem is that has yet to live down her reputation from House of M. Like, most of the fanbase and probably the writers themselves have this vague idea of her mind that Wanda is just "psychotic witch that has strong magic and sometimes can destroy the world."

I mean most people would arguably say that they think or remember her more as a villain than anything else. Even in the movies she could use a bit more of characterization (And even then. Most of the fanbase is just watching her and waiting to see if she snaps)

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    I think the real problem is that has yet to live down her reputation from House of M. Like, most of the fanbase and probably the writers themselves have this vague idea of her mind that Wanda is just "psychotic witch that has strong magic and sometimes can destroy the world."

I mean most people would arguably say that they think or remember her more as a villain than anything else. Even in the movies she could use a bit more of characterization (And even then. Most of the fanbase is just watching her and waiting to see if she snaps)
    Yeah but it's up to writers to fix that. They messed it up to begin with. She's fictional, she's not real. So it's not like it can't even be undone. Removing Wanda's personality and humanity to give mutants another story of many was a mistake they need to undo.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Yeah, remember whem she and Carol were best friends? Marvel doesn't
    They barely have remembered her and Jan. Last reference being during Remender's UA. Nothing on her and She-Hulk, even though that needs some closure.

It's the effective removal of any human aspects to make her a fitting plot device. It's tragic.

Extraordinary Member

I think the problem is that most people who like Wanda are people who like the pre-2004 Avengers, and there really aren't a lot of them around compared to the number of X-Men fans. Jonathan Hickman's background is not unusual: he was an X-Men fanatic and he had no interest in the Avengers until he was assigned to write it.

Modern Marvel comics are mostly formed by the comics of the mid-to-late 2000s, which gave us a lot of the source material for the MCU as well as the modern event culture. Wanda was absent from almost all of it, so people who became fans of Marvel in that era don't really know much about her beyond House of M.

Sure, writers read more about her when they do more research, but there's a difference between doing research and being a fan. People who are fans of the old-school Avengers think of Wanda as one of the essential characters in the franchise. Others mostly probably don't. There's a reason why people who have gone to bat for her are often older guys like Joss Whedon and James Robinson who are of the right age to have read Avengers comics in the 1970s.

That said, Wanda is not completely lacking in fans among Marvel writers and Jim Zub among others have said they'd like to write her again if they get a chance, so I think there's something else going on here (maybe just the reduction of the Avengers line to a rump while the company concentrates on fixing the X-Men line).

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I think the problem is that most people who like Wanda are people who like the pre-2004 Avengers, and there really aren't a lot of them around compared to the number of X-Men fans. Jonathan Hickman's background is not unusual: he was an X-Men fanatic and he had no interest in the Avengers until he was assigned to write it.
    Really? Because for someone who liked the X-Men a lot, he trolled their fans and made fun of the X-Men a lot on Twitter. Deleted all of that when he was hired on the book...

Extraordinary Member

Hickman's Twitter feed is very sarcastic and trollish, but he definitely is an X-Men fan. He's said many times that X-Men is the first franchise he was offered at Marvel that he was already a fan of from childhood, which, since his childhood was during the X-Men's 1980s prime, is to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Hickman's Twitter feed is very sarcastic and trollish, but he definitely is an X-Men fan. He's said many times that X-Men is the first franchise he was offered at Marvel that he was already a fan of from childhood, which, since his childhood was during the X-Men's 1980s prime, is to be expected.
    Their prime was the 90s, but yeah he'd have been a teen then. I always thought he was more of the into science/space stuff. Also all that could be interview fluff too.

Extraordinary Member

He did add Cannonball and Sunspot to the Avengers roster, though, which gives a hint of where he's coming from (and that's not a bad thing, everyone adds characters they like to the roster).

Anyway I think the point is that many writers may theoretically know who Wanda is but aren't necessarily fans of any comics she was in. Brian Bendis knew Wanda mostly from the John Byrne West Coast Avengers run which explains his approach, but he also knew that Carol and Wanda were friends because he's a big fan of that Avengers Annual Claremont wrote (which was also the origin of the Carol/Jessica Drew friendship), so he had Carol be the one who brings Wanda back to Avengers Mansion in AvX. Writers and editors a little younger might have read that issue but it wouldn't resonate for them, which I think helps explain why Wanda is never seen when Carol's friends show up.

I hate having to place my hope in the MCU because there is still a lot of ways the character could go wrong, but I do think it is true that whatever she does in the two big 2021 projects will define her for a lot of writers who didn't know much about her before.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Hi, sorry to get into your conversation, I would just like to say that Hickman was mostly a DC universe fan, particulary the Legion of superheroes, but he also liked the X-men, especially the New Mutants and Generation X. So yes, heīs an X-men fan but not of all itīs characters and given his list of favourites: Magneto, Emma Frost, Mr Sinister, Sunspost and Canonball, his taste isnīt the same as the casual X-men fan.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Extraordinary Member

Thanks, Lucyinthesky.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

No problem
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

A Twitter picture
    EIVchC7XYAAumw9.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    A Twitter picture
    EIVchC7XYAAumw9.jpg
    Lovely pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    A Twitter picture
    EIVchC7XYAAumw9.jpg